Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin needs to step up and...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    ..and your program plan and the deliverables you are required to deliver and when.
    maybe he is a rogue programmer....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Exactly. Tomlin is the head coach, but he doesn't own the team. Like any corporate organization the guy at the top calls the shots and you execute within the guidelines provided. To say "forget what the Rooney's/Management want" is plain ridiculous.

The problem we have right now with the OL (#1 source of our offensive issues) is much more on Colbert than Tomlin. Colbert went into this season with a wish and hope on the Offensive Line and ignored it in the draft. He controls the talent acqusition not Tomlin.

If you are in NASCAR and the racing team owners give you cars with a six banger in them you aren't going to win any races no matter how much you tweak the engine or how good your driver is (Big Ben).

As far as firing the coordinators, do you really think that accomplishes anything mid-season? Plus does anyone really think Tomlin ever had the ability to move on past LeBeau no matter how much he wanted to?
    Give it a rest with LeBeau already. The problem this season is not defense.

And as for what firing the OC would do midseason? Seemed to work well for a division rival.

Finally, I'm still waiting to hear your proposed changes for the OL. Which draft pick did you want to get rid of this year? What concrete solutions did you have? You always complain that the Steelers don't play young guys on defense, that they have to wait. Well, on offense, guess what - they are playing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    The buck stops at Tomlin, he needs to step up to the plate and lead this team
    better than he has.

He needs to focus on his strengths \ Talent and use that to his advantage. Forget what the Rooney's \ Management want.
    (They want to live in the past(running the ball) which is a mistake...)

Even if it cost him his job he needs to believe, in what will work\win not what won't \ want to do...
    He needs to tell his coaches what kind of plays to call, Tell them!!! not ask them!!!

If my reputation\ Coaches career is on the line I could care a less what the owners want.....
    Please fire me if you don't like it... but, I rather go down believing, in what I know will work then the other....
    Tomlin does need to step up. He has unleased hell on us in the past, and we saw what that did. He is a great coach when things are going well, but it seems as though he struggles to move through adversity.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    you are the expert programmer.. but I doubt you get to choose the computers and projects you work on..
    Actually a senior level SQL Database Administrator \ .NET programmer.
    Choose the computers .... I was giving a computer as my main workstation when hired..But can log into many servers and pc's as I see fit to work on.
    Choose projects...I get to choose what to work on most times daily....My job is to keep Servers up and running what ever it takes...So it's the coaches job to win games whatever it takes within there power.

I was a leader in Management for over 15 years before computer field.. I know how to lead..Tomlin can do much better from what I see.....
    And like the other poster I see no passion like I have before..

Legend

User Info Menu

The buck stops at Tomlin, he needs to step up to the plate and lead this team
    better than he has.

He needs to focus on his strengths \ Talent and use that to his advantage. Forget what the Rooney's \ Management want.

Even if it cost him his job he needs to believe, in what will work\win not what won't \ want to do...
    He needs to tell his coaches what kind of plays to call, Tell them!!! not ask them!!!

If my reputation\ Coaches career is on the line I could care a less what the owners want.....
    Please fire me if you don't like it... but, I rather go down believing, in what I know will work then the other....
    $$$$
    It's on Tomlin to step up and make the changes that need to be made. He is responsible for telling Haley what to do with the offense. The Rooneys might be putting pressure on Tomlin...Art II might even be telling him what to do (although I've seen no proof of that)...but ultimately, it's Tomlin's decision. They hired him to be a head coach, and he needs to be a head coach. If I'm in his position, I do my job to best of my ability, and if they don't like it, they can fire me.

IMO, He'll have a lot easier time getting another HC job if he gets fired doing his best than if he gets fired after doing something other than that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is ANYBODY here paying attention to what is REALLY HAPPENING?
    We ARE NOT running the ball!!!!
    We are 31st IN ATTEMPTS.
    We are not losing games because we run too much.

Are you watching VIKING games and getting confused?

Ben threw PLENTY on Monday.
    Ben threw DEEP plenty on Monday.
    Ben EXTENDED PLAYS like he wants plenty on Monday.
    The best completion of the day, which got us in scoring range WAS FUMBLED

Why did we lose then?

The receivers dropped PLENTY of passes on Monday.
    Ben misses PLENTY of receivers on Monday.
    Ben got sacked extending plays like he wants to on Monday

We opened the game with three straight runs (admittedly stupid) but that is ALL anyone remembers.

Outside on that ONE DRIVE this has been a decidedly pass-centric team over the coarse of TWO games.
    And Monday's game cant be called "dink and dunk" either. Watch a replay. You will find 9 or 10 twenty yard or longer (in the air) pass attempts that failed.

Stop believing the lies of Crash. Just because the dude posts the same ridiculous lies a gazillion times before he gets banned does not make it true.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-20-2013 at 01:26 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Actually a senior level SQL Database Administrator \ .NET programmer.
    Choose the computers .... I was giving a computer as my main workstation when hired..But can log into many servers and pc's as I see fit to work on.
    Choose projects...I get to choose what to work on most times daily....My job is to keep Servers up and running what ever it takes...So it's the coaches job to win games whatever it takes within there power.

I was a leader in Management for over 15 years before computer field.. I know how to lead..Tomlin can do much better from what I see.....
    And like the other poster I see no passion like I have before..
    Funny - Senior DBA/ (former) programmer myself and even in leading, you still have your weak links on any team. This is a pretty good analogy, so, lets' roll with it.

If you've been handed a guy who is incompetent, you can't MAKE him smarter. You just can't. In switching from DB2 DBA to SQL DBA, I landed on a team where we inherited people who simply weren't good enough. And to this day, there are certain tasks that I would only entrust with certain people. Those who aren't good enough, we look to management to replace them, and we have - just as Tomlin should be able to do. The problem here is, Haley IS incompetent at this point, but, Tomlin cannot replace him.

If you were a leader in management, especially in IT, then you understand that you occasionally hire people who led you to believe they were more knowlegeable/talented than they really were. You don't let that person keep f'ing up your systems; you make their life uncomfortable until you can find the next opportunity for lay off and that person is on the list.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Funny - Senior DBA/ (former) programmer myself and even in leading, you still have your weak links on any team. This is a pretty good analogy, so, lets' roll with it.

If you've been handed a guy who is incompetent, you can't MAKE him smarter. You just can't. In switching from DB2 DBA to SQL DBA, I landed on a team where we inherited people who simply weren't good enough. And to this day, there are certain tasks that I would only entrust with certain people. Those who aren't good enough, we look to management to replace them, and we have - just as Tomlin should be able to do. The problem here is, Haley IS incompetent at this point, but, Tomlin cannot replace him.

If you were a leader in management, especially in IT, then you understand that you occasionally hire people who led you to believe they were more knowlegeable/talented than they really were. You don't let that person keep f'ing up your systems; you make their life uncomfortable until you can find the next opportunity for lay off and that person is on the list.
    That is funny and hello fellow dba... I don't disagree with you and I'm with you on Haley..but the buck still stops at Tomlin and I think he can do much better then he has...

Legend

User Info Menu

That is funny and hello fellow dba... I don't disagree with you and I'm with you on Haley..but the buck still stops at Tomlin and I think he can do much better then he has...
    Why, in view of my earlier post?
    We did for the most part call plays to the perceived strength of the offense as you suggest we should.
    Players failed to execute.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-20-2013 at 01:56 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Why, in view of my earlier post?
    We did for the most part call plays to the perceived strength of the offense as you suggest we should.
    Players failed to execute.
    see my response to your new post with what you posted here...