Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers likely to reconstruct blocking style

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't believe it was a lack of attentiveness, I believe it was an insistence that he (Haley) runs this offense and not Ben. So, rather than let Ben get the team to the LOS and run a play, Haley waved it off and sent his personnel package onto the field, and, as we know now, this extra time gave Marvin Lewis the time to challenge the play.

Arrogance and ego are Haley's forte.

Pappy
    thanks Pap.. I was so mad watching that play, screaming at the Tv.. I couldn't understand why we were not continuing Up'tempo.. but yea.. that makes sense.. There were guys running all over the place on and off the field and Ben was looking confused.. I Blamed him but now I see why he couldn't just run a play.. and why he wasn't Apologetic afterwards (wasn't his fault)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chiken View Post
    thanks Pap.. I was so mad watching that play, screaming at the Tv.. I couldn't understand why we were not continuing Up'tempo.. but yea.. that makes sense.. There were guys running all over the place on and off the field and Ben was looking confused.. I Blamed him but now I see why he couldn't just run a play.. and why he wasn't Apologetic afterwards (wasn't his fault)
    That's my opinion of what I saw at the time and based on the fact that Ben has run a no huddle up tempo offense before and he can get his team to the LOS and run a play rather quickly. All the confusion leads me to believe that either Haley did as I described above or Haley believed that it was a good catch and wasn't going to be overturned, either way, Haley needed to get out of Ben's way and let him run the offense, it didn't happen and it cost the Steelers a big play.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    2. Why didn't we keep Max. I thought we got rid of him because we were going to zone blocking. And we didn't zone block. And Ben got pummelled even more. There's some crazy missing logic here.
    Didn't realize he didn't stick with the Chargers...Amazed that the team has picked up linemen and let him sit out there... just sayin'

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Didn't realize he didn't stick with the Chargers...Amazed that the team has picked up linemen and let him sit out there... just sayin'
    I think the Rams have signed Max, but not certain.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the Rams have signed Max, but not certain.

Pappy
    they have - just today, actually. that's when i realized he'd been available and the team chose other options and thought, "wow!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The offense is at a disarray because, the Head Coach is not bringing them together and making tough decisions...
    Haley calling bad plays falls on Tomlin!!! He is the head coach period...you walk up to the dam OLC and tell him what you want...you don't ask....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Some of this has to fall on Tomlin. Has to! There's no way the head coach doesn't have final say. Are we really to believe Haley has just arbitrarily decided not to use the scheme practiced since OTA's began 4 months ago? He is the sole determining factor? I call BS. Tomlin is watching the games (I see him on the sidelines). Why wouldn't he step in and insist it be used. He has the authority.

Maybe the line can't run it properly and the DeCastro incident showed that. There's got to be more to this situation than the OC "doesn't feel like it" and Head Coach is turning a blind eye.
    Absolutely agree. He has the authority but he either doesn't have the balls to use his authority or he's agreeing with Haley's decision. Either way, he's at fault. I'm tired of it being everybody's elses fault besides the HC. That is BS.

The HC gets the credit when they win and they get the criticism when the team loses. It comes with the title of being a head coach.

He has a say in player personnel decisions.
    He has a say in coaching personnel decisions.
    He has a say in draft picks.
    He has a say in schemes and playcalling.

People keep making excuses for Tomlin for whatever reason even as this team continues its downward spiral ever since last season. I think it's because most people can't separate their emotions from logical decision making so they keep making excuses on why it's never their fault. It's the same reason a lot of people can't criticize Ben's play.... because it's hard for someone to objectively criticize their favorite player.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

That's my opinion of what I saw at the time and based on the fact that Ben has run a no huddle up tempo offense before and he can get his team to the LOS and run a play rather quickly. All the confusion leads me to believe that either Haley did as I described above or Haley believed that it was a good catch and wasn't going to be overturned, either way, Haley needed to get out of Ben's way and let him run the offense, it didn't happen and it cost the Steelers a big play.

Pappy
    According to Bob Labriola Haley doesn't decide who the WRs are on the field. He said Tomlin does that. So that would mean Tomlin was sending in players that he wanted on the next play. He said Haley just calls the plays.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    It would be great to think that there is a plan or a system on offense, but it sure doesn't seem like there is.

I think that all this talk about zone blocking is just subterfuge. The game will open with a Paulson to Cotchery double reverse.
    Now that is funny.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    For the last time.. Max almost got Rivers killed a few times in preseason... look at the Chicago preseason highlight vs the Chargers. Part of the reason he looked good here is because Ben is a magician.