Thread: Can we stop with the "70s football" talk, this aint close

Can we stop with the "70s football" talk, this aint close

Some around here act like we do NOTHING BUT run the football.

Steelers are THIRTY FIRST in rushing attempts!!!!!!
    I dont blame the team, we are ineffective running the ball but come on people dont act like we are giving the running backs the Franco treatment.

And Ben shackled? REALLY?
    Dude was winging it ALL OVER THE PLACE!
    There was no lack of deep passes, just a lack of deep COMPLETIONS.
    For sheer quantity, there were more 20 yard plus attempts than in a typical Arians game.

Were there bad calls? Sure.
    Slow JC on the end around? Stupid.
    Opening with 3 stuffed runs? Ridiculous.
    Running Redman? Yeah, I get the frustration but he ran the ball THREE TIMES (got a couple dump offs too).

But on the whole? Dropped completions, missed completions, and a fumble on the nights best completion sure makes it hard.

Sure AINT 70s style Yinzer football that lost that game.

Look at how Cincy dominated the LOS in the second half and ran the ball down our throats.
    THAT is what 70s style football is about.
    THEY are the BIG BULLIES who are physically stronger and tougher, while we have to be cute and tricky to have a chance.

We have become the 70s Ken Anderson Bengals and THEY are what we USED to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ReTodd View Post
    Numbers skewed by being down 2 scores in both 4th quarters, what are they going to do? Run?

Have to pay attention. The situation.
    No doubt Crash. To an extent. But THIRTY FIRST?

I'll give you "SITUATION:

Score Zero Zero

• 1st and 10 at CIN 34 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep left to E.Sanders.
    • 2nd and 10 at CIN 34 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger sacked at CIN 40 for -6 yards (sack split by C.Dunlap and D.Peko).
    • 3rd and 16 at CIN 40 (Shotgun) F.Jones up the middle to CIN 26 for 14 yards (R.Nelson; G.Iloka).

There you got your first down deep pass- Incomplete/ Second down SACK

Drives like that ALL NIGHT LONG CRASH.

Multiple drives JUST LIKE THAT ONE IN THE FIRST HALF, a half that ended 10-10.

You wanna call "Yinzer" 70s Steelers football in that game? It ENDED after ONE DRIVE. The score was zero zero.

Bengals beat Steelers at their own game
    Cincinnati turned up the run game and defense in win

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...their-own-game

In the past in Bengals-Steelers games, when you see a 127-44 advantage in rushing yards, you would automatically assume that Pittsburgh once again had the edge. My, how the tables have turned.

Monday’s 20-10 victory by the Bengals on Monday Night Football was the second straight time where they have out-Steelered Pittsburgh. And a lot of it had to do with the running game.

After being pass happy in the first half and with the score tied at 10 at halftime, the Bengals took control via the ground game. Of Cincinnati’s 35 minutes and 24 seconds on time of possession, two thirds of that came in the second half when they had the ball for 20:54.

For the offense it was diametrically different halves. In the first half, 32 of the 42 plays were passes but in the second half they ran it on 23 of 36 snaps. The Bengals had 407 yards of total offense, which is the first time they have had over 300 against the Steelers since the 2005 Week 13 game in Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Some around here act like we do NOTHING BUT run the football.

Steelers are THIRTY FIRST in rushing attempts!!!!!!
    I dont blame the team, we are ineffective running the ball but come on people dont act like we are giving the running backs the Franco treatment.

And Ben shackled? REALLY?
    Dude was winging it ALL OVER THE PLACE!
    There was no lack of deep passes, just a lack of deep COMPLETIONS.
    For sheer quantity, there were more 20 yard plus attempts than in a typical Arians game.

Were there bad calls? Sure.
    Slow JC on the end around? Stupid.
    Opening with 3 stuffed runs? Ridiculous.
    Running Redman? Yeah, I get the frustration but he ran the ball THREE TIMES (got a couple dump offs too).

But on the whole? Dropped completions, missed completions, and a fumble on the nights best completion sure makes it hard.

Sure AINT 70s style Yinzer football that lost that game.

Look at how Cincy dominated the LOS in the second half and ran the ball down our throats.
    THAT is what 70s style football is about.
    THEY are the BIG BULLIES who are physically stronger and tougher, while we have to be cute and tricky to have a chance.

We have become the 70s Ken Anderson Bengals and THEY are what we USED to be.
    Good post.

This team is really relying, not on the running game, but on the passing game...but our passing game stinks right now.

We need to quit sending Brown, Sanders and Cotchery so much on the deep routes. They're better at the shorter, crossing patterns, etc. I think we need to spread out the offense a lot of the time, with Ben in the shotgun. And let him run the no-huddle at least 2-3 series. And get Wheaton on the field. There's no point in wasting his potential, IMO.

In Arizona, Haley stacked WR routes...I don't believe that I've seen that here in Pitt...