Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wow RB Trent Richardson traded to the Colts for a 2014 1st round draft pick

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    did i just read that Le'Veon Bell practiced fully today?
    Yes, Bell is back to full practice but is considered to be "still healing". He is very doubtful for this week but I would say is a 60/40 for week 4 unless there is a set back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    don't understand why they didn't just continue to suck and still get TB to go GO ALONG WITH Trent... Sounds like insurance that they'll have enough to trade up to #1, even if they don't get it.

But, from what i understand, they want a Lesean Mccoy/Brian Westbrook type of RB and Trent wasn't it.

Scary part, as a Louisville fan, is I'm not convinced Teddy is an NFL pro-bowl type QB. He looked like a freshman in his last game for the better part of the game.

As a 76ers fan, I get the "blow it up and rebuild" concept and love that the 76ers have done it. HOWEVER, Indy's pick is likely to be # 20-something... I don't see how THAT guy is going to be better/more valuable than Trent (assuming they can tank on their own and get Teddy).
    As everyone likes to say, the draft is a crapshoot, so the more picks you have the better the chance at hitting a home run. Steelers were known for building their great teams through the draft. Problem is, not sure that model applies anymore in the modern NFL. Guys play out their rookie deals and they move on. Sucks for the team this season, but guaranteed it will have the fan base buzzing next May.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 09-21-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Problem is, not sure that model applies anymore in the modern NFL.
    I think it still applies. Look at San Fran, Seattle, Balt. etc They do a nice job drafting plus they dabble in free agency when it fills a need. They seem to look more at "fit" rather than cap sense. Kind of like Ray Shero at the trade deadline. What piece am I missing? Pitts. does not have that luxury due to their cap stress. But they historically never have had a big impact in free agency.

Balt. shed a lot of older leadership this past year but they drafted potential replacements in Arthur Brown and Matt Elam. The key is having the confidence in your draft to let them play.

I think it could be time for an internal audit by the FO on their standards to see if they need to be more involved in FAs or if they need to change their mindset on what seems to be a rookie bias. We've seen a small shift this year with Jones, Williams and Thomas (and if no injuries Bell). But the hand was forced due to injuries or a previous reluctance to change personnel.

Financially they have no options. There is a reason Omar Khan does not get offers from other teams after he interviews. Maybe he is handcuffed by the FO's stance that they hold on to "star" players too long but he needs to communicate the potential for disaster in subsequent years. Those years are upon us. The Steelers have been successful in the past with this formula, but you have to adapt.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree thor... Baltimore got rid of Todd Heap and 2 or 3 more vets a few years ago and people thought they would slip.

We are doing a better job getting young guys on the field but we're still seeing them handcuffed at times. Jones crushes CJ and we take him out because???? Wheaton is on the field but we aren't utilizing him. Still feels like we are reluctant to play our rookies. IMO damn near every other team in the league would have Jones and Wheaton on the field on day 1 and not in limited roles given how bad the players in front of them are playing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    As everyone likes to say, the draft is a crapshoot, so the more picks you have the better the chance at hitting a home run.
    That's what makes the Richardson trade seem so silly. Although he hadn't achieved his full potential, he has at least established himself in the league and that is a giant step. Many draft picks, even the low first rounders, don't make that first necessary leap. So trading an established player with high upside is no comparison to any draft pick and potential bust. I hope we are playing them pretty soon.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

How about this thought...Richardson will cost the Colts only the salary dollars against the cap. That means that this year, Trent Richardson will have around the same cap charge as Isaac Redman.