Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The cost of success

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    I find it hard to believe that success has anything to do with blowing drafts after drafts....

Hood, Heyward and DeCastro have contributed nothing so far...all Rd 1 picks. Pouncey well i don't think it a great center.

2008 and 2009 drafts were waste and it has caught up with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I said all this to say that the reason the Steelers are struggling is because of bad draft picks not because they are drafting low. They've always drafted low. Most of the great players they have are from low picks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    I keep thinking that Cowher retired way too soon because he definitely had enough talent assembled to make a run at 2-3 more Super Bowls. Tomlin took over and used up that available talent until it was all gone and now he's left with a substandard team made up bad draft picks and also-rans.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Administrator

User Info Menu

I keep thinking that Cowher retired way too soon because he definitely had enough talent assembled to make a run at 2-3 more Super Bowls. Tomlin took over and used up that available talent until it was all gone and now he's left with a substandard team made up bad draft picks and also-rans.
    That is a fact......for the most part, Tomlin hasn't been able to replace the talent that he inherited. Anyone that thinks differently is fooling themselves.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

I keep thinking that Cowher retired way too soon because he definitely had enough talent assembled to make a run at 2-3 more Super Bowls. Tomlin took over and used up that available talent until it was all gone and now he's left with a substandard team made up bad draft picks and also-rans. Kind of a right place at the right time scenario if you will for Tomlin.
    at least Tomlin used it up..

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think Cowher was worn out mentally. It's not secret, Cowher's biggest flaw was always the QB position. He could build one hell of a team but he couldn't win the SB without a franchise QB (like most). When he got one, he won the SB.

Here comes Tomlin.... he was given a great team and a frachise QB and he won the SB. The great team he inherited is almost gone but he still has a franchise QB. The problem is that he hasn't been able to replace the team that Cowher built even with having a franchise QB. Not even close....

Need evidence? Go down our current roster and see if the players we have now are better than the players that Tomlin inherited from Cowher. It's not even close.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    at least Tomlin used it up..
    This is very, very true...

It's tough for teams to restock...it's not just Tomlin and the Steelers...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I keep thinking that Cowher retired way too soon because he definitely had enough talent assembled to make a run at 2-3 more Super Bowls. Tomlin took over and used up that available talent until it was all gone and now he's left with a substandard team made up bad draft picks and also-rans. Kind of a right place at the right time scenario if you will for Tomlin.
    "The standard" that Tomlin is always talking about has definitely become substandard. He basically pulled a Barry Switzer and won a Lombardi with another man's players.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    That is a fact......for the most part, Tomlin hasn't been able to replace the talent that he inherited. Anyone that thinks differently is fooling themselves.
    It's never been one man's job to replenish the talent on this team.