Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben on The Fan today... said its time for a team meeting

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I'm with you, but I guess what I'm saying is that the symptoms were still there, but the Steelers record was 6-2 prior to Ben's injury, so there wasn't much scrutiny. Once Ben was injured and he returned the losses mounted and the offense came under more scrutiny and the results weren't pretty.

3 of the 6 wins (1st half of season) were to teams whose best record was 6-10 and they lost to two teams whose best record was 6-10. I think the inconsistencies were there all along, but a couple good games against the Giants and Skins may have hid the problems. I don't know for sure, but the past 10 regular season games with Ben at quarterback have been pretty ugly.

Pappy
    Good points all. Unfortunately, the reality is there is a plethora of reasons we are in the position we're in. If this were a major business, it would be hard for the newly hired CEO to even know where to start to fix things ...

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I disagree too... because I have no idea where this fits in the convo.... lol.
    It was intended to fall directly beneath Pappy's "bread and butter RB" argument...internet hiccoughs on my end delayed it until two more posts were added...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Good points all. Unfortunately, the reality is there is a plethora of reasons we are in the position we're in. If this were a major business, it would be hard for the newly hired CEO to even know where to start to fix things ...
    A newly hired CEO would clean house and bring in his guys and gals, hence, remove Haley and promote the quarterbacks coach, he should have a good rapport with Ben.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    What are you expecting when the team surrounds him with crap? No #1 TE, no #1 WR, a very bad OL, and an offense that doesn't fit his skillset.
    Same thing I seen from Tom Brady when he had no one to throw to, and no running game. That is what elite QBs do, they make much with little.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Since Haley arrived to be exact.

I typically would rather give coaches a chance to get things right, but in this case I don't believe Haley has the coaching skill to get this offense right. He's too stubborn and the first three plays of the game and the ridiculous attempt to get different personnel on the field while Ben was trying to run a play to avoid a challenge flag are perfect examples of Haley's ego getting in the way of a franchise quarterback and in all likelihood HOF quarterback.

Haley needs to be removed sooner than later or the Steelers will be fortunate to win a handful of games.

Ben has bailed this team so often in the past that fans expect he can do it under any circumstance and the current circumstance may be more than he can make right.

Pappy

That is actually not true. Ben was on record pace when Haley first arrived, until injury. He hasn't been the same since last years injury is much more accurate.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Thank you!! who thinks Tom Brady could be Tom Brady behind this line in this offense??
    I do. I have seen Tom Brady play with crap around him, and look like Tom Brady. He makes quicker reads, has a quicker release...and his game is built around setting up the deep ball with ball control passing. Ben is a gun slinger, wants the deep ball at all times, isn't accurate or consistent enough to pull off the O, Haley is trying to implement. That might be an unpopular opinion but Ben isn't playing well and Im not willing to put that all on the OL and WRs. He has been missing many wide open WRs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    That is actually not true. Ben was on record pace when Haley first arrived, until injury. He hasn't been the same since last years injury is much more accurate.
    Shallow statistics IMO, the Steelers beat three teams with records less than or equal to 6-10 and lost to two teams whose records were less than or equal to 6-10. I know you can only play the teams on the schedule, but the statistics were accumulated against teams that didn't have NFL caliber players on the rosters.

He hasn't been the same IMO since Haley joined the team and they got off to a bad start communicating and I have to believe the current train wreck of a game plan isn't making Ben happy. Take a look at the most recent disaster just from a play calling and personnel on the field standpoint, to offer an opinion other than ridiculous is to ignore what you witnessed. The slowest WR running an end around in which the worst blocking TE on the team is supposed to block a DE, 3rd and 8 draw play on the first series (that says, "I give up"), not handing the ball to Jones once in the 2nd half, continuing to run Redman behind blocking designed for a back with vision and cutting ability, the list goes on and on. Besides a lack of talent, there's a lack of coaching taking place.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

The Vets should rather walk into Rooneys office and say " It's us or Haley". But i guess they don't have the balls to do that.
    Blaming it on the youngsters is sooooooooooooo cheap, damn it Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I'm talking about ben.
    not much ben can do when the guy telling him what play to run is FUBARing the offense

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    i've heard this argument a million times and it's true, he was... as were most QBs in the league. haley doesn't get credit for changing the passing game and opening it up - the NFL does. They want scoring because it's an exciting game.

i'd be curious, however, to know what the ratio of no huddle drives the team had - after all, they were only 5-3 through that stretch. thinking back on it (and this past game) i suspect Haley is getting credit for Ben calling the plays... seemed to be the only time they moved the ball this past weekend is when haley wasn't allowed to call plays