Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Over the last 25 years, the Steelers have started 0-2 four times.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    But...those 4 teams had far better talent than this current team. And their offensive coordinator actually played the game of football before.
    i agree, the OC stinks... HOWEVER, this team is more talented than the OC makes them appear to be. With Ben and it has enough talent to at least be a playoff team... if that moron would just use him properly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Yes, I do and here's why:

1) It allowed Ben Roethlisberger to play football the best way he knows how
    2) Arians offense used players strengths and put players in a position to succeed
    spot on again, pappy. Remember when Chan Gailey left and everyone tried to make Kordell a pocket passer? Now, Kordell was never a good QB, but, Chan had the wisdom to use his strengths to his advantage... And BA did the same with Ben... it's sad to see a HOF career go down the drain with a boneheaded play-caller

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    In your analogy Haley is the slump buster.... time to move on.
    No, the slump buster is the fix we put in from now til next season. The slump buster would be running no-huddle the rest of the year, or 4 wides predominately (like we did that one year with Maddox). It isn't a long-term fix... it is just an act to get from Point A to Point B... aka. a slumpbuster.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    BA is like an ex girlfriend. You break up and after 6 months of not getting laid and you start thinking, "she wasn't too crazy", "she wasn't a TOTAL b!tch", "she didn't nag me all the time". You start to look back fondly on the madness and wonder if you made a mistake. Maybe she was sweet after all. What you need is an ugly or fat girl as a slump-buster. Isn't pretty, you might not tell your friends, you're not especially proud, but it gets you off the slide. All of sudden you're back! You realize you're better off without the bat-sh*t crazy ex and you're ready to move on. Let's get 'er done!

That's what the Steelers need. Treat the Bears like a slump-buster. Doesn't have to be pretty. Feel free to sneak out when they're done. May not be bragging to their buddies. But it puts them back on the road to glory!
    I like this analogy...it is, surprisingly, one of the more coherent and better thought out analogies that I've read here...shout out to you, Ghost...

Legend

User Info Menu

Slapstick - is that a backhanded compliment that you are so surprised I had a coherent thought...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Not that you had a coherent thought, but that an analogy using crazy ex-girlfriends and "slump-busters" would be so apropos...

But, now that you mention it...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    spot on again, pappy. Remember when Chan Gailey left and everyone tried to make Kordell a pocket passer? Now, Kordell was never a good QB, but, Chan had the wisdom to use his strengths to his advantage... And BA did the same with Ben... it's sad to see a HOF career go down the drain with a boneheaded play-caller
    Absolutely amazing! How on God's green earth was BA utilizing Ben's talent by running incessant bubblescreens and RUTFMs???? Some of you have such short memories....

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Let me just add the following about Ben and the Steelers. It is now Ben's 10th year (I think) and the Steeler front office still doesn't understand that they have a very unique franchise quarterback who is not like any other quarterback past or present, John Elway comes to mind as the quarterback most resembling Ben in style of play, competitiveness and football savvy. No other quarterback is even close.
    Maybe it just takes a while for teams to "get" those QBs. The Broncos almost traded John Elway to the Redskins in 1991, fired Mike Shanahan as an offensive assistant in 1991 after a dispute between him and Dan Reeves over the direction the offense should go (Shanahan wanted to open it up for Elway; Reeves was more conservative), and drafted Tommy Maddox in the first round of the 1992 draft. It wasn't until 1993, after they fired Reeves, that the Broncos sat down with Elway and asked him what he wanted. After that, they made Elway the centerpiece, and the team had a tremendous resurgence in 1996, winning three straight AFC West titles and back-to-back Super Bowls. It took the Broncos a decade to figure out how to make Elway happy. Maybe it's going to take the Steelers a decade to figure out how to make Roethlisberger happy.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Absolutely amazing! How on God's green earth was BA utilizing Ben's talent by running incessant bubblescreens and RUTFMs???? Some of you have such short memories....
    If you would have taken the time to read the entire post you would have seen that I acknowledged that the bubble screens were worthless, but that doesn't take away from the fact that BA did, indeed, use the personnel available to their strengths. The first and foremost being he handed the game plan to Ben and allowed Ben to be the player that he is comfortable being. If Ben saw something he liked BA got out of the way and let his franchise quarterback play.

On the other hand, you have the evil genius Haley slowing down Ben from running a play and allowing a challenge flag, giving the slowest WR on the team an end around, not handing the ball to Felix Jones at all in the second half, giving Dwyer one carry (why?), three straight running plays to start the game was pure brilliance, Haley needs to be gone and if Tomlin had any stones he would have taken the headset from Haley after the third pklay of the game and asked him WTF are you doing?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

All that, and if Ben just completes some passes to some open guys, the game may have ended differently...