Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Delusional Optimists Post Game Break Down

Legend

User Info Menu

The Delusional Optimists Post Game Break Down

The Good

1) Defense once again looked pretty good. I was a bit disappointed that running looked easier than it should against a Steeler D. I was also disappointed in Clark's mis-read leaving Eifert wide open.

2) Heyward was playing very well last night. He is a guy who is starting to flash. Shoot, even Ziggy was playing with a little attitude last night.

3) Our special teams look special.

4) Our new center is probably the second best OLman on this team...not that is saying much.

The Bad

1) Almost too much bad to name. But, let me start with Ben. I am a huge Ben fan but he hasn't looked himself since getting married. He doesn't have that fire, throwing bad balls in crucial situations...looked almost defeated during several quarters of that game. His throwing last night was sad.

2) The OLine...while better this week against a pretty good Bengal front 7...they were not good enough especially in creating holes for the running game.

3) Paulson...while able to get open and catch, that fumble and him getting blocked on his back several times last night left a bad taste in my mouth.

4) Brown and Sanders are no #1 and #2. I didn't think we lost much when we lost Wallace. I was wrong.

The Ugly

1) The coaching. I have been a Tomlin fan, and a Haley fan...but no longer. I watched Haley split out Redman in 5 wide instead of Wheaton. Wha? The fact that Tomlin allows this nonsense to go on...unbelieveable. I could go through a list of poor calls, but what use would that serve?

2) Why is Redman on this team? Our running game is pathetic.

3) The refs...I mean come on...the Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    The Good

1) Defense once again looked pretty good. I was a bit disappointed that running looked easier than it should against a Steeler D. I was also disappointed in Clark's mis-read leaving Eifert wide open.
    The defense was stellar IMO, they were on the field for nearly 30 more plays than the offense. Yes, they gave up points, but it was grudgingly and had the Steelers had any offense to speak of they could have won that game rather easily.

2) Heyward was playing very well last night. He is a guy who is starting to flash. Shoot, even Ziggy was playing with a little attitude last night.

3) Our special teams look special.

4) Our new center is probably the second best OLman on this team...not that is saying much.
    Right now he's the best lineman, Ben had very little pressure in his face, it typically came from the outside, there were a few pushes in the middle, but by and large the center did very well considering he's been on the team for 6 days.

The Bad

1) Almost too much bad to name. But, let me start with Ben. I am a huge Ben fan but he hasn't looked himself since getting married. He doesn't have that fire, throwing bad balls in crucial situations...looked almost defeated during several quarters of that game. His throwing last night was sad.

2) The OLine...while better this week against a pretty good Bengal front 7...they were not good enough especially in creating holes for the running game.
    You're right they couldn't open holes in the running game, but Haley and bag of tricks really fooled the Bengals opening the game with three consecutive running plays. I looked at my wife and said, "this game is over, they aren't handing the ball to Ben and asking him to win the game."

3) Paulson...while able to get open and catch, that fumble and him getting blocked on his back several times last night left a bad taste in my mouth.

4) Brown and Sanders are no #1 and #2. I didn't think we lost much when we lost Wallace. I was wrong.
    This is 200% truth, these two guys need Wallace and I misjudged Wallace's worth as well.

The Ugly

1) The coaching. I have been a Tomlin fan, and a Haley fan...but no longer. I watched Haley split out Redman in 5 wide instead of Wheaton. Wha? The fact that Tomlin allows this nonsense to go on...unbelieveable. I could go through a list of poor calls, but what use would that serve?
    The coaching is mind boggling at this point, Tomlin should have taken Haley's headset after the first series and asked him to leave.

2) Why is Redman on this team? Our running game is pathetic.
    That's a darn good question. I can only surmise that he is actually the 5th WR in the Steeler spread offense and Wheaton is a tailback in disguise.

3) The refs...I mean come on...the Steelers
    I hope the Steelers can get this turned around somehow.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree, but we have to use use our strengths to win....
    They need to come out with a passing attack like no other...I mean just forget the dam run
    until we have room to run...Because, we cannot run....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Smythe's Optimism: We have a good CORE of players and we still have our QB. this isn't rebuilding mode, this is fix it mode. How long will it take though is the question??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

A few things...

D looks good but they really need to force a few TO's... Ike trying to catch that pass summed up our TO problem this year. Ike played great tho... whole D played well but I'm spoiled... I expect this D to get a few TO's or force a few fumbles.

Ben hasn't looked good since the marriage? Nah... Ben hasn't looked good since the divorce from BA.

Wallace... sure we miss him, the guy was a beast at stretching the field. However, do you remember how Mike looked in our offense last year? It wasn't that special. We have bigger problems and it has nothing to do with talent. I thought Wheaton had decent speed. Is it really that hard to put him on the field for some go routes? Is it really that hard to put Moyer on the field on a few more plays if we are going to run fades?

Running game... yuck. But I got the feeling Jones was getting ready to pop a few after the first series and after he made a few guys miss for a first down we benched him. Can't have guys running "around" defenders for positive yards because it hurts Redman's feeling. Sorry Redman.. I was your biggest fan but you look like trash.

Paulson.. can't block but he can catch... nor can he grab a ball that is right in front of him when it was obvious it "could" have been a fumble. The look on his face on the sidelines after the fumble? Didn't look like he cared one bit.

..and the substitution after the fumble instead of a quick snap. Steeler fans.. .this is your OC and this is your future. Mr Haley is clueless... completely clueless.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think we all undervalued Mike Wallace. I still don't think the Steelers EVER give him 13m a year though. So it's kind of moot.

Also, with this line, would Wallace ever have time to get deep? I say we move Wheaton to #3 and use him to stretch.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    I think we all undervalued Mike Wallace. I still don't think the Steelers EVER give him 13m a year though. So it's kind of moot.

Also, with this line, would Wallace ever have time to get deep? I say we move Wheaton to #3 and use him to stretch.
    Signing Wallace would had been a waste because the OL doesn't provide enough time fo him to get open deep. Letting Wallace go was the right decision given that our cap is so totally screwed up it will take 2-3 years to fix it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

yes Wallace would have time to go deep.. and so would Wheaton if we gave him a shot. No reason to pay 13 mill for a WR to run go routes...

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought for the most part that a quarterback of Ben's caliber had enough time last night to make plays. The problem was Ben's accuracy was off for most of the night. Ben missed some easy throws for him, IMO.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

The offense is abysmal. Retched. Can't run. Not blocking well. WR's dont' get open. Refuse to use Wheaton. The drop between Miller and the other TEs is like falling off Everest. Ben missed numerous times when he he had time. Play calling was not good (I've tried to support Coach Haley but getting hard to continue to do so). Out of sync in every area.

The D shows flashes but I'm not going to absolve them from playing a part in this loss. No turnovers (yet again). No sacks (been terrible over 2 games so far). Allowed 127 yards of rushing. Cincy had a 14 play, 7 minute drive. After the BS tripping call the Steelers need the D to toughen and get the ball back - instead it folded like a cheap tent, finishing with a 27 yard TD by a rookie who was untouched. A 61 yard pass play to another rookie who was completely uncovered. Much like last week, the opposing QB did as much to stop the progress as the D. Dalton was not accurate for most of the game. Cutler, Flacco, Brady, Stafford, Rodgers are going to carve them up.

After the last 2 games and looking at the schedule, I'm not seeing how they win more than 3-5.