Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: DeCastro and O-line

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I agree with your overall sentiment that the pass pro was not the problem. I even said this during the game time chat. I thought they did a good job, especially with a one week center. Velasco played very well imo.
    It may seem like harping, but you guys are flat wrong on the pass pro not being a problem in the game. Michael Johnson was going through Adams like a hot knife through butter, and many others saw it ([URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1780745-dissecting-best-individual-matchups-to-watch-in-steelers-week-3-action[/URL]) ...Its amazing that he didn't get a sack! PFF had Johnson at SIX QB pressures of Ben. The hope is that he'll fare better this week pass rush-wise, against an aging Julius Peppers.

Note: I'm not pointing it out to try and be Mr. Right. It is just a fact that you guys are apparently missing. He's been awful so far.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    It may seem like harping, but you guys are flat wrong on the pass pro not being a problem in the game. Michael Johnson was going through Adams like a hot knife through butter, and many others saw it ([URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1780745-dissecting-best-individual-matchups-to-watch-in-steelers-week-3-action[/URL]) ...Its amazing that he didn't get a sack! PFF had Johnson at SIX QB pressures of Ben. The hope is that he'll fare better this week pass rush-wise, against an aging Julius Peppers.

Note: I'm not pointing it out to try and be Mr. Right. It is just a fact that you guys are apparently missing. He's been awful so far.
    Aside from Adams who looks putrid, I think the rest of the line took a step forward and started playing a little better. Sure there were some general problems that looked like communication type issues that will get ironed out. But I don't know how you fix Adams? He was off balance, stumbling, bumbling, twisted, etc. Heck there were times he seemed to watch Johnson run right by him.

Now I dunno everything about Michael Johnson, but Adams had me believing he's Aldon Smith. I heard Peppers isn't the same player he used to be, but I suspect he'll have his way with Adams. I was starting to think Gilby was the problem, but not so much after last week. Now I'm starting to wonder if Beachum can play LT? He may get beat, but at least we know he'll give effort.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Aside from Adams who looks putrid, I think the rest of the line took a step forward and started playing a little better. Sure there were some general problems that looked like communication type issues that will get ironed out. But I don't know how you fix Adams? He was off balance, stumbling, bumbling, twisted, etc. Heck there were times he seemed to watch Johnson run right by him.

Now I dunno everything about Michael Johnson, but Adams had me believing he's Aldon Smith. I heard Peppers isn't the same player he used to be, but I suspect he'll have his way with Adams. I was starting to think Gilby was the problem, but not so much after last week. Now I'm starting to wonder if Beachum can play LT? He may get beat, but at least we know he'll give effort.
    I'm with you flip. Like you, I don't know: Maybe Johnson is another Aldon Smith, because he sure looked like it last week. And like you, I wonder if Beachum has any potential to be a more serviceable short-term solution at LT.

You are also right, that the rest of the o-line probably took some small steps toward being more solid. But any steps forward in that regard, ARE erased when you have one glaring weak link as we did last week.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm with you flip. Like you, I don't know: Maybe Johnson is another Aldon Smith, because he sure looked like it last week. And like you, I wonder if Beachum has any potential to be a more serviceable short-term solution at LT.

You are also right, that the rest of the o-line probably took some small steps toward being more solid. But any steps forward in that regard, ARE erased when you have one glaring weak link as we did last week.
    In Adams' defense, I'm watching the Ben-gals game against the Packers and Michael Johnson is putting on another strong performance so far. Maybe he is Aldon Smith

Legend

User Info Menu

In Adams' defense, I'm watching the Ben-gals game against the Packers and Michael Johnson is putting on another strong performance so far. Maybe he is Aldon Smith
    Maybe he can get a DUI before we play the Bengals again

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

Another Buckeye that gets to the pros and tanks.... inconsistent, confused, and generally not a good player at this level.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Another Buckeye that gets to the pros and tanks.... inconsistent, confused, and generally not a good player at this level.
    I can only think of a couple of Buckeyes that have had recent success - Orlando Pace, Eddie George, Chris Carter, Nick Mangold. Maybe 1-2 great players per decade? I can't think of any other recents that stand out. Maybe we should avoid players from OSU?

Legend

User Info Menu

In game one, Ben and his receivers didn't play well, but the primary reason that our offense sucked out loud was the o-line.

In game two, the o-line didn't play well, but the primary reason that our offense sucked out loud was Ben and his receivers.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What I saw of Adams was that Johnson was able to get his hands inside of Adams' arms and onto his chest where he could gain leverage and control. Say it more than once.