Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DeCastro and O-line

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Chadman and I must've not seen the same game, because Mike Adams was nothing short of a turnstile last night.
    Chadman would be interested to see both Adams & Gilbert's plays broken down. In the situations where Ben was not scrambling about trying to buy the WR's time, those 2 OT's held up pretty well. Could be wrong, perhaps Chadman is showing some bias, but don't think so. Particularly in quarters 2 through to 4.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Chadman would be interested to see both Adams & Gilbert's plays broken down. In the situations where Ben was not scrambling about trying to buy the WR's time, those 2 OT's held up pretty well. Could be wrong, perhaps Chadman is showing some bias, but don't think so. Particularly in quarters 2 through to 4.
    Not a complete breakdown, but here is Adams/Paulson:

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/9/18/4743746/steelers-film-review-bengals-week-2-mike-adams-david-paulson[/URL]

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Adams wasn't as terrible as made out to be by some on the board...did he miss assignments? Sure...

But, Andy Dalton completed passes with pressure in his face...Ben used to be able to do that...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Adams wasn't as terrible as made out to be by some on the board...did he miss assignments? Sure...

But, Andy Dalton completed passes with pressure in his face...Ben used to be able to do that...
    Slappy--I think you are right. I saw some good things from Adams. He needs to anchor better versus the bullrush but he was better than average. I just don't understand how Gilbert has regressed so much from a pretty solid rookie year. IMO DeCastro is just going through growing pains. Keep in mind he has played less than half an NFL season's worth of games in "live fire" situations." I think he gets much better over the next few games.

As much as I was OK to see Kugler leave because I thought he was part of the problem, in restrospect introducing a new blocking system to this very young group may have been a step back. Long term it may be great but we will see short term pain.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Not a complete breakdown, but here is Adams/Paulson:

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/9/18/4743746/steelers-film-review-bengals-week-2-mike-adams-david-paulson[/URL]
    Okay, they reviewed 3 or 4 plays and here's the biggest question I have. Why on God's green earth would you draw up a play that has your LT (presumably a LT because he can block) block down on a DT and then try to have a rookie TE not known for blocking try to block a very, very good defensive end in Michael Johnson? Then on an end around with Johnson out of the game Paulson, yet again, is assigned to block another defensive end, misses and then can't block a safety. WTF? Really?

Somehow the Steeler offensive brain trust believes this is good offensive football? I know very little about the Xs and Os, but this appears to be a recipe for disaster.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Okay, they reviewed 3 or 4 plays and here's the biggest question I have. Why on God's green earth would you draw up a play that has your LT (presumably a LT because he can block) block down on a DT and then try to have a rookie TE not known for blocking try to block a very, very good defensive end in Michael Johnson? Then on an end around with Johnson out of the game Paulson, yet again, is assigned to block another defensive end, misses and then can't block a safety. WTF? Really?

Somehow the Steeler offensive brain trust believes this is good offensive football? I know very little about the Xs and Os, but this appears to be a recipe for disaster.

Pappy
    Excellent point. Having Paulson block any defensive lineman is a waste. He can barely handle a LB. We knew he couldn't block which is why we brought Spaeth back (I bet lots of Spaeth haters wish he was in the line up now). I'd rather see Palmer out there than Paulson.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Excellent point. Having Paulson block any defensive lineman is a waste. He can barely handle a LB. We knew he couldn't block which is why we brought Spaeth back (I bet lots of Spaeth haters wish he was in the line up now). I'd rather see Palmer out there than Paulson.
    I'm not even questioning who's out there, my problem is how do you go into an offensive team meeting and announce that any TE currently on the roster is going to be assigned the task of blocking one of the best DEs in the game and not have the team say "WTF are you taking about?"

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Wasn't Palmer the one who couldn't execute a block on the opening kickoff?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Adams graded out as the worst player on the field that day according to PFF.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Adams graded out as the worst player on the field that day according to PFF.
    Apparently, they didn't bother to look at Gilbert!!