Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DeCastro and O-line

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    As to the original post, DD looks like he doesn't have the strength to hold up in individual pass protection. He reminds me in some ways of Faneca at the end of his career - good in the run game when asked to pull but a liability in pass protection.
    Does anyone think (or like me "hope") that DeCastro still isn't 100% recovered from his knee surgery?? Obviously it's holding up but is his strength at 100%??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Not having a good blocking TE in there to help out is a liability.
    Felix, i agree with you 100%
    Haley's love affair with Paulson needs to end
    At this point in time i'd rather see the lesser of two evils in there with D.Johnson

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't know why you are going after DeCastro. He was going against one of the premier pass rushers in the league and about the only time Atkins name was mentioned the entire night was on the play you are talking about. I'd consider that a damn good job.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Reckon the OL showed good pass blocking against the Bengals, to be honest. Particularly in the last 3 quarters. They have real trouble, however, run blocking- but that might be co-contributed by poor RB vision. There are running lanes there, but our RB's seem unable to find them & end up running into traffic.

That said, Foster is an ordinary pulling OG. He gets hands on defenders, gives them a gentle shove & moves on, doesn't dominate his area at all.

That was a really good front 7, and the OL held up well- particularly the often maligned Mike Adams & Marcus Gilbert.

Here's the thing- Ben had a lot of time to throw. Yes, he got sacked a few times, but rarely after 3 steps. It was when he was either buying more time, or more accurately, waiting for a WR to get open. That, and Ben hates throwing to RB's it seems.

In Chadman's opinion- the difference to how Ben gets hit in the backfield, and as an example, Dalton gets hit in the backfield, is not the play of the OL, but the play of the WR's.

Ben doesn't have an AJ Green who is open, even when covered. Our WR's don't get seperation consistantly, and are not strong enough either physically or at catching in traffic. Ben has to buy time & buy time & buy time...giving the D more time to hit him.

The best thing for this OL is for the Steelers to get a DeAndre Hopkins or Cordarelle Patterson in the next draft.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

eddie agrees with chadman as usual. He has been right about missing wallace and overpaying for brown all along.

as for Decastro, I am hoping he turns it on but to this point he has underwhelming. Like someone said, he gets a pass because he was a draft day darling and many have pinned him as the savior for the OL. Anyone with eyes can see that the OTs are the problem with the OL.

as for not noticing JJ on the field last night, that is just downright moronic and shows that personal agendas trump honest evaluations for some here just because the steelers didn't draft "their guy". Absolutely laughable.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I don't know why you are going after DeCastro. He was going against one of the premier pass rushers in the league and about the only time Atkins name was mentioned the entire night was on the play you are talking about. I'd consider that a damn good job.
    I agree that Atkins wasn't the obvious impact you would expect, but given how foolish he made Decastro look on that one play, it is a legitimate question. I am actually very curious to hear how he grades individually so far in this season. Let's face it: He's making lowlight individual plays on a regular basis.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    eddie agrees with chadman as usual. He has been right about missing wallace and overpaying for brown all along.

as for Decastro, I am hoping he turns it on but to this point he has underwhelming. Like someone said, he gets a pass because he was a draft day darling and many have pinned him as the savior for the OL. Anyone with eyes can see that the OTs are the problem with the OL.

as for not noticing JJ on the field last night, that is just downright moronic and shows that personal agendas trump honest evaluations for some here just because the steelers didn't draft "their guy". Absolutely laughable.
    Not convinced anymore that the OL is playing that bad. Knowing that the Steelers lose, go back & watch the offensive plays. Ben has time. In fact, for the last 3 quarters, Ben has a lot of time. And that's against a pretty damn good defense. Adams & Gilbert didn't do that bad a job. Where the OL falls down is definately in run blocking- but that might be shared blame with the RB's who, outside of Felix Jones, have looked dreadful & indecisive.

What Ben needs, and what the OL needs, is a WR that can be thrown to WHEN COVERED. Ben needs his own AJ Green. You get that guy, and just think how many of those long drawn-out plays that result in sacks as Ben waits for the "Too Much Money Crew" attempt to get open, turn into 4 & 5 yard gains. That's what is missing- that chain moving, go-to WR.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Reckon the OL showed good pass blocking against the Bengals, to be honest. Particularly in the last 3 quarters. They have real trouble, however, run blocking- but that might be co-contributed by poor RB vision. There are running lanes there, but our RB's seem unable to find them & end up running into traffic.

That said, Foster is an ordinary pulling OG. He gets hands on defenders, gives them a gentle shove & moves on, doesn't dominate his area at all.

That was a really good front 7, and the OL held up well- particularly the often maligned Mike Adams & Marcus Gilbert.

Here's the thing- Ben had a lot of time to throw. Yes, he got sacked a few times, but rarely after 3 steps. It was when he was either buying more time, or more accurately, waiting for a WR to get open. That, and Ben hates throwing to RB's it seems.

In Chadman's opinion- the difference to how Ben gets hit in the backfield, and as an example, Dalton gets hit in the backfield, is not the play of the OL, but the play of the WR's.

Ben doesn't have an AJ Green who is open, even when covered. Our WR's don't get seperation consistantly, and are not strong enough either physically or at catching in traffic. Ben has to buy time & buy time & buy time...giving the D more time to hit him.

The best thing for this OL is for the Steelers to get a DeAndre Hopkins or Cordarelle Patterson in the next draft.
    I completley agree. I think a true #1 WR and a young #1 TE to sit behind Heath for a year or two would help
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

eddie must disagree with chadman here.

eddie thinks the OTs are pitiful.

though eddie does agree that the current WRs leave a lot to be desired and are miscast by a number. There is not a #1 in that room.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post

Chadman and I must've not seen the same game, because Mike Adams was nothing short of a turnstile last night.