Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 115

Thread: The Truth!!

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,587

    The Truth!!

    This just isn't a very good football team. And it starts from the top. The decision to bring in Haley as the coordinator, and ask Ben to fit what he does into Haley's system, was a huge mistake. I said it when Haley was hired...his lack of never playing any football at any level was going to be what it is. A major disconnect with the players he is coaching. The management of the Steelers made a huge mistake asking their franchise QB to change his style and fit what Haley runs. It was suppose to keep Ben healthy. To protect him. To get rid of the ball quicker. Well it hasn't worked. Ben is being hit just as much as he ever has. Then to think that this team could run the football behind a line that isnít built to run the football is another mistake this management has made. Look at the line. They have 4 guys who are generally smaller than the guys they are trying to block. David DeCastro is getting abused. The only O-lineman with some size, is Foster. Adams, Gilbert, DeCastro, and even Pouncey are all built to pass block more so than run block. And they donít even do that well.

    Then to put all your marbles into a 2nd round RB (Bell), as if he is going to save your team is ridiculous.

    This team has two play makers on the entire team. Troy Polamalu and Ben Roethlisberger. To get rid of Benís only playmaker ( Mike Wallace), was a mistake regardless of what Steeler fans thought of him. Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders are decent receivers at best. Neither one of them are play makers. Neither one of them can find the end zone. And to continue to try and stretch the field with these two, when neither of them can get separation, is ridiculous. Why do they insist on throwing the deep pass to Antonio Brown? He cannot get the needed separation for that. Makes no sense.

    Whoís idea was it for Cameron Heyward to lose weight? We get on players all the time for them showing up out of shape, why does Cameron Heyward get a break? He is not suppose to be a pass rusher. He is suppose to be a run stuffer/gap plugger. Now at his current weight, he isnt going to stuff anything. But it isnít his fault. It is managements fault because their defensive coordinator has gotten so far away from the 3-4 zone blitz. LeBeau was quoted as saying he wanted more of a pass rush from his D-line this year. Why? That goes completely away from the whole 3-4 zone blitz scheme. He now wants a pass rush from the front 3 and his OLB drop into coverage more than they go after the QB. Look at last nightís game. Hardly any pass rush what so ever on Andy Dalton. And they couldnít stop the run either. LeBeau, as great as heís been, as fallen in love with trying to be creative and as a result he has gotten away from what his 3-4 zone blitz is suppose to be. It is sad. This isnít working the way he is running this defense. He is now allowing opposing teams to dictate what he runs. Can you imagine Aaron Smith showing up to camp 15-20lbs lighter, and being ask to go get the QB? Makes no sense. Standing up Heyward or Keisel and even having them stand up outside of the tackles is mind boggling. Once in a while as a wrinkle is one thing but to change the scope of your 3-4 defense is ridiculous. Plain and simple, LeBeau is allowing teams ( and the league), to dictate what he does on defense. He is no longer running a 3-4 zone blitz at it's core.

    This team has gone as far as it can under Mike Tomlin. Not being a good football team is one thing but to also lose its toughness is hard to swallow. This would have never happened under Bill Cohwer. The Steelers need to get him back as their head coach. He will regain the identity of this franchise. Whenever his teams were bad, he guaranteed in his press conferenceís that he would get it right. And every time he did.

    If this team is headed for a re-building ( and I see no way they arenít), then trading Ben in the offseason is something that has to be considered. A Herschel Walker type trade. Getting the first, second, and maybe the third round picks along with Patrick Peterson of the Arizona Cardinals would be a huge step in re-building. A.J. McCarron is a winner. And he is the perfect QB to have in a run first/power attack offense. As important as an offense is, if the Pittsburgh Steelers do not have a dominating defense, then they are not the Pittsburgh Steelers. A shut down defense and a power running game will always work for this franchise. Regardless of what the rest of the league is doing.

    Wanna know just how bad this team is right now? Wait until they actually play an upper-echelon team. Tennessee and Cincinnati are not.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  2. #2
    Backup Notleadpoisoned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NotPittsburgh
    Posts
    401
    Haley is definitely an albatross, among other things.

  3. #3
    This would have never happened under Bill Cohwer.
    BWAH-HAH-HAH!!!

    It did happen under Cowher...

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,317
    I agree with everything except Haley not playing being the reason why our O stinks... the guy isn't a good fit and people made too much out of him taking AZ to the SB. Warner, Fitz and Boldin took that team to the SB.

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,397
    Ah, I don't know about all that, DeeDub. You hit on some points, but I'm not ready to give up on this team yet.. Jones had a respectable 3.7 yd avg. last night. He can add to his resume in the Chicago game and beyond. Maybe he'll be a diamond in the rough as they say... When they get Heath back, the defenses are gonna change, and the running game can open up some more. Last year in the1st half Haley did some nice things and Ben/ Steelers were actually really good (tops in the league even) at 3rd down conversions. This year- not so much.... Heath will help in that. But yea, your right about the playmakers. Wallace was one of them. Gonna need to get another one soon at WR.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  6. #6
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    It is managements fault because their defensive coordinator has gotten so far away from the 3-4 zone blitz. LeBeau was quoted as saying he wanted more of a pass rush from his D-line this year. Why? That goes completely away from the whole 3-4 zone blitz scheme. He now wants a pass rush from the front 3 and his OLB drop into coverage more than they go after the QB. Look at last nightís game. Hardly any pass rush what so ever on Andy Dalton. And they couldnít stop the run either. LeBeau, as great as heís been, as fallen in love with trying to be creative and as a result he has gotten away from what his 3-4 zone blitz is suppose to be. It is sad. This isnít working the way he is running this defense. He is now allowing opposing teams to dictate what he runs. Can you imagine Aaron Smith showing up to camp 15-20lbs lighter, and being ask to go get the QB? Makes no sense. Standing up Heyward or Keisel and even having them stand up outside of the tackles is mind boggling. Once in a while as a wrinkle is one thing but to change the scope of your 3-4 defense is ridiculous. Plain and simple, LeBeau is allowing teams ( and the league), to dictate what he does on defense. He is no longer running a 3-4 zone blitz at it's core.
    You are right on. I have to laugh that everyone is now getting on board with what I have seen coming and been saying for 3 years now. LeBeau benefitted from the perfect storm of having just the right players at the right time for his system but as I have been saying it wasn't sustainable. His system is not sustainable because it relies on too many things going right with the conversion of DTs to DEs and DEs to OLBs. LeBeau has not been able to successfully make that happen even though the organization has showered the defense with resources to keep, or bring back, players who "knew the system."

    The salary cap and the demand other teams now have for players that only the Steelers were interested in in the past has made this defense falter. Add in their the excessive complexity and we aren't priming the pump with talent and pushing players on the field now. A defense that is supposedly to be all about pressure and forcing mistakes can't get the QB or a turnover.

    Call me a Lebeau hater all you want but this is exactly what I predicted versus making excuses for our revered DC. Everything passes in time and we should had made changes on the defense when we changed Arians.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler Steelhere10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    man from Sudan
    Posts
    2,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    BWAH-HAH-HAH!!!

    It did happen under Cowher...
    I stopped reading after that. These guys don't remember the Ravens making the Steelers look like little school kids. Lmao

  8. #8
    Just to point out Dee...you stated the Steelers put all their "marbles into Bell". Not sure that is true especially concerning the draft. They actually paid more attention to the O than you did in your mock (look below at your sig).

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You are right on. I have to laugh that everyone is now getting on board with what I have seen coming and been saying for 3 years now. LeBeau benefitted from the perfect storm of having just the right players at the right time for his system but as I have been saying it wasn't sustainable. His system is not sustainable because it relies on too many things going right with the conversion of DTs to DEs and DEs to OLBs. LeBeau has not been able to successfully make that happen even though the organization has showered the defense with resources to keep, or bring back, players who "knew the system."

    The salary cap and the demand other teams now have for players that only the Steelers were interested in in the past has made this defense falter. Add in their the excessive complexity and we aren't priming the pump with talent and pushing players on the field now. A defense that is supposedly to be all about pressure and forcing mistakes can't get the QB or a turnover.

    Call me a Lebeau hater all you want but this is exactly what I predicted versus making excuses for our revered DC. Everything passes in time and we should had made changes on the defense when we changed Arians.
    Everyone is on board? Umm... I don't think so. I'm still a huge Lebeau fan. By the tears in Harrison's eyes, it appears his players are as well.

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    I stopped reading after that. These guys don't remember the Ravens making the Steelers look like little school kids. Lmao
    Me too. I liked Bill as a coach and all, but to act like the team never struggled under his watch defies credibility.

    This team is playing right now without a true #1 WR, RB or TE. The TE and RB are on the team and we should be getting them back as the season progresses. The fact is that the team played better last night than against TN. They met one of the most talent-stacked teams in the NFL in their home opener, but couldn't pull it together. As a reminder, the Bengals actually won the North when the Steelers won the SB in 2005. If you heard Ben's interview on the radio, they are not taking this as a matter of course. They are fighting because they expect better of themselves and hate losing. Some of these things can't be fixed overnight, but I'm confident that they will do what they have to do.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •