Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How could Colbert and Tomlin have passed on DeAndre Hopkins?

Rookie

User Info Menu

How could Colbert and Tomlin have passed on DeAndre Hopkins?

Is there anyone who thinks that this is even defensible?

On draft night, I wanted the Steelers to select either Hopkins or Justin Hunter of Tennessee, or both. I think Jarvis Jones is very talented and a very good football player, but I don't see how he was even close to being as needed as a serious wide receiver threat. Hopkins is a stud and is already stealing some of Andre Johnson's thunder. His catches at the end of the Texans game yesterday were phenomenal.

AND HE WAS ON THE BOARD FOR THE STEELERS AT 17!

Colbert looks very silly for having passed on him. In fact, the Steelers could have taken Hopkins there and also traded up to take Hunter. They would have had a fabulous duo for years to come that way.

But, to the point, Hopkins was terrific for Clemson last year and there was no excuse for the Steelers to pass on him. Hopkins will very likely be the rookie of the year on offense this season. Colbert looks very silly right now for not drafting him. The guy is an elite talent. And so is Justin Hunter. How can you not draft at least one of these guys? How could you not trade up to draft both frankly? They could have easily taken Hopkins at 17 and then moved up to the late first round to nab Hunter.

Roethlisberger would be lighting it up right now with those two weapons at his disposal.

DeAndre Hopkins highlights:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWm9pNiXYY[/url]

Justin Hunter highlights:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6GXID2dXk[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Because Jarvis Jones was presumably a Top 10 talent on their board, and this team (obviously) isn't in position to pass up the BPA, to satisfy needs as defined by WRsAreEssential.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Because Jarvis Jones was presumably a Top 10 talent on their board, and this team (obviously) isn't in position to pass up the BPA, to satisfy needs as defined by WRsAreEssential.

DeAndre Hopkins was also easily a "Top 10 talent", and he met far more of a need for the team than Jarvis Jones did. A linebacker group with Woodley and Timmons is far better than a receiving group of two little 5-9/5-10 guys.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I wanted to draft Hopkins in the 2nd but that didn't happen because he didn't make it that far.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I wanted to draft Hopkins in the 2nd but that didn't happen because he didn't make it that far.

Why not the first? He was clearly far more of a need than Jones was (and I am saying this as someone who thinks very highly of Jones).

Banned

User Info Menu

They needed Jarvis Jones. Who then gets pulled for Jason Worilds, who when he has subbed for Jones the defense has given up 3 TD's.

Poorly drafted team, poorly coached team, unqualified person running their offense.

0-2, and 8-10 in the era of Art Rooney II football.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WRsAreEssential View Post
    DeAndre Hopkins was also easily a "Top 10 talent", and he met far more of a need for the team than Jarvis Jones did. A linebacker group with Woodley and Timmons is far better than a receiving group of two little 5-9/5-10 guys.
    You are delusional dude. He was not rated in the area where Jarvis was (until his 40). YOU personally, may have wanted Hopkins all along... and if that's the case, fine. But don't go making things up. You can't criticize the team for taking the BPA on their board.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Because this team is delusional in thinking Brown and Sanders are a solid starting duo, that's why.

Jones is a beast to be sure. But WR wasn't even in the area code in round 1.

Legend

User Info Menu

They drafted Jones because he is an all around better talent. Jones is special.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Because this team is delusional in thinking Brown and Sanders are a solid starting duo, that's why.

Jones is a beast to be sure. But WR wasn't even in the area code in round 1.
    Now that I agree with. Brown and Sanders are good 2 and 3...but mediocre 1/2.