Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Defense Playing w/ 10.5 players.......

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    That's nice and all, but at the end of the day the #1 job of a Defense is to keep the other side from scoring. We had a couple guys on the D in their first starts last night, so I'm thinking they will probably get better. Add to that, they faced a team with a lot of weapons to deal with, so I'll take it that they did their jobs and kept the Bengals from lighting it up.
    They should get better. Like I said, the D did enough to win the game. I wouldn't say they "did their jobs" and there wasn't anyone in that locker room happy with the D's performance. The Steelers offense was so stagnant that the stink is coming from their side of the room. The only aspect of the game that may have been a positive was the STs and that is a scary thought given the preseason.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 09-17-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    D played great to start the game and Dalton was erratic.. punt return gave us great filed position and we did nothing with it. Can't have 7 3 and outs.. and 2 TO's and blame the D.
    We established that. The Steelers only kicked a FG after that punt return. They started the turnover drive from their 3. After the turnover the D gave up the 61yd pass to Eifert. Game was tied at half and BB INT didn't came with 5 minutes left in game. Again, 400 yards of offense, zero turnovers, & zero sacks with the TOP differential & 3rd down % is a far cry from a good game by the defense. The offense was so terrible the focus is on them. If this game ended up 23-20 with the Bengals winning with 460+ yards of offense...The DL haters would be out in full force. Just because the finger is being pointed in the same direction everyone is looking doesn't mean the other side doesn't have work to do.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd get our 4 best LB's out there together by moving Jarvis inside next to Timmons with Woodley and Worilds at OLB. Seems better to me than a half-Jarvis/half-Worilds outside and a half-Kion/half-Vince inside. Jarvis rushed the passer from all over the place at Georgia (not solely off the edge). He did plenty of inside blitzes, creative stunting, etc. in college. Plus he has a nose for the ball. I want my ILB to have solid football instincts, which I see from Jarvis. He can take a page out of the Chad Brown playbook by starting out inside before eventually moving outside.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I'd get our 4 best LB's out there together by moving Jarvis inside next to Timmons with Woodley and Worilds at OLB. Seems better to me than a half-Jarvis/half-Worilds outside and a half-Kion/half-Vince inside. Jarvis rushed the passer from all over the place at Georgia (not solely off the edge). He did plenty of inside blitzes, creative stunting, etc. in college. Plus he has a nose for the ball. I want my ILB to have solid football instincts, which I see from Jarvis. He can take a page out of the Chad Brown playbook by starting out inside before eventually moving outside.
    Jarvis suggested the coaches let him replace Foote because he has experience inside. I think it makes perfect sense. I expected a better game from Vince. I still think Williams can be good long term, but he looked out of place a lot last night. Was disappointing after his great preseason.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I would like to see the same in whatever capacity. I agree that Timmons, Woodley, Jones, & Worilds are the 4 best. They should find a way to get them on the field.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Foote wouldn't have made a difference. He would have been bulldozed a half dozen times on the field.

Agreed! As if Foote is a run stuffer. How funny.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I would like to see the same in whatever capacity. I agree that Timmons, Woodley, Jones, & Worilds are the 4 best. They should find a way to get them on the field.
    They may be the 4 best, but Worilds has been terrible this year.