Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defense Playing w/ 10.5 players.......

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wilson should not be starting. Williams showed some flashes but he is not ready to be on the field. Release Graham and bring in an ILB who can start. Problem is we know the Steelers will bring back Rolle or Sylvester or sign McFadden off Raiders practice squad. They don't think someone can come in here and pick up the D quick enough. Guys like Tavares Gooden and Jamar Chaney are on the street. Both better than the current options in my opinion but given the season is under way & they need a starter now...May not be the best options.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noitall0605 View Post
    Yes but defense cannot get consistant pressure or get turnovers. They are not exempt.
    Especially when your whole defense is lead by a DC who supposedly designs it to create mistakes, put pressure on the QB and get turnovers. None of which is happening.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Wilson should not be starting. Williams showed some flashes but he is not ready to be on the field. Release Graham and bring in an ILB who can start. Problem is we know the Steelers will bring back Rolle or Sylvester or sign McFadden off Raiders practice squad. They don't think someone can come in here and pick up the D quick enough. Guys like Tavares Gooden and Jamar Chaney are on the street. Both better than the current options in my opinion but given the season is under way & they need a starter now...May not be the best options.
    They don't think someone can come in here and pick up the D quick enough.
    Yes because the complexity of our defense is baffling our opponents and creating lots of sacks and turnovers. Who could possibly learn that?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Steelers D kept one of the most weapons-rich O's in the NFL to only 20 points. They are not the problem.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    The Steelers D kept one of the most weapons-rich O's in the NFL to only 20 points. They are not the problem.
    Offense was terrible & turned it over twice. They should shoulder most of the blame. Giving up over 400 yards of offense, zero sacks, & creating 0 turnovers isn't a good game for the defense. They gave up 127 yards of rushing. That chewed up the clock and gave them the ball 10 minutes longer. Giving up 7 of 17 (41%) on 3rd down isn't what we expect. Last year they were 4th in the league at 35%. That 41% put them at about 28th in the league last year. Wasn't a good game by the defense but they did enough for the Steelers to win it IMO.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Anybody who doesn't think the OFFENSE is the problem is delusional!!!!
    Forget TRYING to run the ball. Do whatever it takes to put points on the board. We are wasting possessions trying to do something we haven't done consistently for at least 5 years. Get the ball down the field (soften them up with the pass) then you run the ball. We should not try to run first (we gave up the first posession of the game TRYING to run)

Rookie

User Info Menu

Offense was terrible & turned it over twice. They should shoulder most of the blame. Giving up over 400 yards of offense, zero sacks, & creating 0 turnovers isn't a good game for the defense. They gave up 127 yards of rushing. That chewed up the clock and gave them the ball 10 minutes longer. Giving up 7 of 17 (41%) on 3rd down isn't what we expect. Last year they were 4th in the league at 35%. That 41% put them at about 28th in the league last year. Wasn't a good game by the defense but they did enough for the Steelers to win it IMO.
    When your offense can't gain even one first down in an entire quarter, that's an issue for the D

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's nice and all, but at the end of the day the #1 job of a Defense is to keep the other side from scoring. We had a couple guys on the D in their first starts last night, so I'm thinking they will probably get better. Add to that, they faced a team with a lot of weapons to deal with, so I'll take it that they did their jobs and kept the Bengals from lighting it up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    When your offense can't gain even one first down in an entire quarter, that's an issue for the D
    Well of course it is. Who's saying the offense was effective?

Legend

User Info Menu

D played great to start the game and Dalton was erratic.. punt return gave us great filed position and we did nothing with it. Can't have 7 3 and outs.. and 2 TO's and blame the D.