Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man 2 Man Strategy for AJ Green

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Man 2 Man Strategy for AJ Green

I never understood why defenses put their #1 CB on a dominant WR??? I don't think IKE TAYLOR can shut down AJ GREEN. So why not put IKE on the Bengals #2 WR and completely take him out of the game. Then put WILLIAM GAY on AJ GREEN with Deep Help over the top?? Have GAY play him for short routes and have help overtop to take away the deep ball. AJ GREEN deserves double coverage so why double him with your #1 CB??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've always thought the same thing. Must be a reason though. cuz us two nobodies can't be the first to come up with this notion.

Legend

User Info Menu

A.J. Green would eat William Gay alive, even with safety help. In fact, Green has sick enough game to beat Ike Taylor with safety help over the top also. With no Cortez Allen in the lineup, I don't see any way that Ike doesn't shadow Green all game (and still get safety help as needed).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I've always thought the same thing. Must be a reason though. cuz us two nobodies can't be the first to come up with this notion.
    Back when we had Ward and Plax, I remember them putting Law on Ward and doubling Plax. It was super effective against our O and I've always wondered why you don't see more of this.

I think it depends on the situation. It made a lot of sense vs us because Ward caught so many balls and moved the chains. Taking him out disrupted the whole Steelers offense. But in the case of Cincy, who are you going to take out with Ike to disrupt their offense? The pretty much have AJ and he is the offense. So in this case, you gotta do what you can to shut him down.

For other teams, I think the consideration is your #1 CB is the guy most likely to get you some turnovers. So if a team is throwing a lot at your #1 guy, there's more opportunity for a key play. That's not so much a concern for us because of Ike's mitts.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    A.J. Green would eat William Gay alive, even with safety help. In fact, Green has sick enough game to beat Ike Taylor with safety help over the top also. With no Cortez Allen in the lineup, I don't see any way that Ike doesn't shadow Green all game (and still get safety help as needed).
    Then let AJ Green beat William Gay all game. So AJ gets 8 catches for 120 yards, that's ok b/c they will be 1 dimensional and that's the kiss of death for any NFL offense. This would allow Gay to overplay him underneath and if he guesses wrong, at least he won't get burned for a long TD. Let him have his catches but no NFL team can beat someone with just 1 guy.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, last year your premise didn't hold true. Ike played the first game and AJ Green caught one pass for 8 yards, in the second game (Ike was injured and didn't play) and AJ Green caught 10 balls for 116 yards. I think Ike does a better job at shutting down #1 receivers than you think; unfortunately, he can't catch a cold.

In 2011, in the first game, Green caught 1 ball for 7 yards and in the second game Green caught one ball for 15 yards, Ike played in both games.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I actually think your strategy is sound in most situations, but A.J. Green just happens to be the best wideout in the league that is not nicknamed after a Transformer.

The Bears have two corners who went to the Pro Bowl last season in Peanut Tillman and Tim Jennings, and yet A.J. Green still caught 9 balls for 162 yards and 2 TD's last week.

When you face a beast like that, you have to use your best weapon against him, and still have the give that weapon additional help.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    A.J. Green just happens to be the best wideout in the league that is not nicknamed after a Transformer.
    When did they name Wally after a transformer

Legend

User Info Menu

Wall-E+7-1.jpgClose to a transformer?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Ike should go 1 on 1 with Green and give all the help to the other CB/CB's. Ike matches up well with Green.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S