Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Line Could Hold Back Pittsburgh Steelers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Backup

User Info Menu

Offensive Line Could Hold Back Pittsburgh Steelers

[URL="http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/644/offensive-line-could-hold-back-pittsburgh-steelers"]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/644/offensive-line-could-hold-back-pittsburgh-steelers[/URL]

Offensive line could hold back Steelers
    September, 16, 2013
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

Steel City wake-up call: Morning links

The Steelers are almost a touchdown underdog against the Bengals as they try to avoid their first 0-2 start since 2002. But it is the 0-2 start in 1989 that ESPN NFL analyst Merrill Hoge remembers all too well.

Hoge played running back on the team that was outscored 92-10 in its first two games, and he says that coach Chuck Noll’s belief in the players -- and vice versa -- allowed the Steelers to overcome the horrendous start and make the playoffs. Mike Tomlin faces a similar challenge, especially since he is coming off his first non-winning season as the Steelers’ coach.

History suggests that the Steelers can rise above a slow start as they also made the playoffs in 2002. But Hoge says the Steelers have to overcome more than just a bad game if they are going to right themselves.

The Steelers have some glaring deficiencies that opposing teams will try to exploit, especially along the offensive line. That line faces a monumental task Monday in Cincinnati.

Tomlin reiterated his commitment to establishing the run last week.

But that may not be the way to right an offense that managed fewer than 200 total yards of total offense in a season-opening loss, and not just because the Steelers’ line and running backs are suspect.

A look around the NFL shows that it has become a passing league, and the Steelers' best hope on offense is to put the ball in quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s hands.

A stout running game is strongly associated with the Steelers’ glorious past. But is the team’s commitment to it keeping the Steelers from moving forward?

Coach speak: Steelers.com catches up with Tomlin, who (surprise, surprise) lavishes praise on the Bengals. One interesting thing the seventh-year coach shares is his take on the Steelers not forcing any turnovers in last week’s 16-9 loss to the Titans.

Double trouble: The Patriots showed how tough it is to defend an offense that has two good tight ends, and the Bengals have two former first-round draft picks at the position in Jermaine Gresham and rookie Tyler Eifert. The two figure to be on the field against the Steelers more often than not, something that could take pressure off Pro Bowl wide receiver A.J. Green.

The next step: Quarterback Andy Dalton has led the Bengals to the playoffs in each of his first two seasons as a starter. Dalton has set the bar higher for the Bengals -- and for himself. If he is rise to the level of elite quarterback he has to start winning in the postseason as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Really? We need offensive line help? Glad we addressed that area in the last draft! Ooops...forgot that we didn't think it was worth making another investment in the OL because of our past drafts. How's that working for us?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Really? We need offensive line help? Glad we addressed that area in the last draft! Ooops...forgot that we didn't think it was worth making another investment in the OL because of our past drafts. How's that working for us?
    I'm curious as to who you would have drafted that would have helped the team? There's a lot of high-round talent on the OL, but you can't predict injuries.

Backup

User Info Menu

In regards to the OL, a lot of that can be blame on the front office. Yes, the current line has pedigree, but not enough experience. If the team wasn't in such a cap mess they could spend some money on good OL to keep Ben upright.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I'm curious as to who you would have drafted that would have helped the team? There's a lot of high-round talent on the OL, but you can't predict injuries.
    An interesting question. Who would you draft, and who would you give up?

Jarvis Jones looks like a keeper. Do you take an offensive lineman in the second? Hard to go into a season with just the slop the Steelers had at RB (and are trotting out there now). With Sanders a year away from free agency, do you pass on Wheaton? Both safeties are 30+, and we all know Troy's history. Hard to pass on Shmarko. We know that Ovi loves Landry Jones, so he stays. At this point, you are talking about a late round guy.

It's easy to say that the Steelers should draft lineman, but they have. Gilbert played well as a rookie, and Adams played fairly well last year. DD needs to work with the rest of the line better, but individually has played pretty well.

It is easy to say that the line stinks, but harder to find a practical solution.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    An interesting question. Who would you draft, and who would you give up?

Jarvis Jones looks like a keeper. Do you take an offensive lineman in the second? Hard to go into a season with just the slop the Steelers had at RB (and are trotting out there now). With Sanders a year away from free agency, do you pass on Wheaton? Both safeties are 30+, and we all know Troy's history. Hard to pass on Shmarko. We know that Ovi loves Landry Jones, so he stays. At this point, you are talking about a late round guy.

It's easy to say that the Steelers should draft lineman, but they have. Gilbert played well as a rookie, and Adams played fairly well last year. DD needs to work with the rest of the line better, but individually has played pretty well.

It is easy to say that the line stinks, but harder to find a practical solution.
    I guess that's what I was thinking too. I can understand wanting a lineman over a 3rd QB, but who were we gonna get at that point in the 4th? There is a lot of season left to be played, so I guess perhaps we can just take it a game at a time and hope that some guys get better (both physically and in skill).

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    ...you can't predict injuries.
    Sure you can. I predicted that before the season started that we would have injuries (as every team does every year) and that our lack of talent/depth would be an issue. BTW - I also predicted (before the season) that some posters would AGAIN use injuries as another excuse for the Steelers mediocre season. Obviously some people CAN predict injuries!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades View Post
    Sure you can. I predicted that before the season started that we would have injuries (as every team does every year) and that our lack of talent/depth would be an issue. BTW - I also predicted (before the season) that some posters would AGAIN use injuries as another excuse for the Steelers mediocre season. Obviously some people CAN predict injuries!
    You say it with such pride :P

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    You say it with such pride :P
    Pride is the incorrect term.
    Outrage might be more accurate. I can't believe that each year people use injuries as an "excuse" for a team that has talent problems. Lack of starting talent and lack of depth. Who could predict injuries? Anybody familiar with the NFL knows that there are injuries every year...on every team. To expect the Steelers not to have them AND TO BE READY for them is naive IMHO.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades View Post
    OK, perhaps I should have been more clear. You can't predict who will be injured. Who would have predicted that Larry Foote would be lost for the year in the first game?