Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Line Could Hold Back Pittsburgh Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    exactly.. it's not when we draft them. It's who and how we coach them...
    Well, we've drafted two offensive linemen that have ended seasons for players, unfortunately, the players whose season's were ended were Steeler players. Can't draft them any higher than 1st and 2nd round, technically, you can draft someone higher than a second round pick, but you get what I'm saying, premium picks have been used on the offensive line. If they don't get it together then the scouting department, Colbert and Tomlin need to be scrutinized, because the Steelers are using premium picks on offensive linemen (defensive linemen as well).

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer
    I wasn't a fan of Kugler. I'm hoping that we can make some progress this year.
    http://jeromiandbrittany.blogspot.com/

Earn Some Bitcoins

http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    An interesting question. Who would you draft, and who would you give up?

Jarvis Jones looks like a keeper. Do you take an offensive lineman in the second? Hard to go into a season with just the slop the Steelers had at RB (and are trotting out there now). With Sanders a year away from free agency, do you pass on Wheaton? Both safeties are 30+, and we all know Troy's history. Hard to pass on Shmarko. We know that Ovi loves Landry Jones, so he stays. At this point, you are talking about a late round guy.

It's easy to say that the Steelers should draft lineman, but they have. Gilbert played well as a rookie, and Adams played fairly well last year. DD needs to work with the rest of the line better, but individually has played pretty well.

It is easy to say that the line stinks, but harder to find a practical solution.
    I guess that's what I was thinking too. I can understand wanting a lineman over a 3rd QB, but who were we gonna get at that point in the 4th? There is a lot of season left to be played, so I guess perhaps we can just take it a game at a time and hope that some guys get better (both physically and in skill).

I LOL everytime I hear about the Steelers using high draft picks on Oline. Robert Gallery was supposed to be the greatest lineman to ever lace up a set of cleats at one time. How did his career turn out? Draft picks dont mean squat if you miss on the guys you pick. The only way to straighten this mess out is to bring in a proven vetern or two to ancor the line and add some stability. Then our young draft picks can earn their way in instead of being thrown in before they are ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    ...you can't predict injuries.
    Sure you can. I predicted that before the season started that we would have injuries (as every team does every year) and that our lack of talent/depth would be an issue. BTW - I also predicted (before the season) that some posters would AGAIN use injuries as another excuse for the Steelers mediocre season. Obviously some people CAN predict injuries!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades View Post
    Sure you can. I predicted that before the season started that we would have injuries (as every team does every year) and that our lack of talent/depth would be an issue. BTW - I also predicted (before the season) that some posters would AGAIN use injuries as another excuse for the Steelers mediocre season. Obviously some people CAN predict injuries!
    You say it with such pride :P

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades View Post
    OK, perhaps I should have been more clear. You can't predict who will be injured. Who would have predicted that Larry Foote would be lost for the year in the first game?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    OK, perhaps I should have been more clear. You can't predict who will be injured. Who would have predicted that Larry Foote would be lost for the year in the first game?
    bingo.. and I missed on my Gilbert prediction. Dude usually finds a way to miss a quarter or 2 every game and mess up the OL chemistry that never had... but DD took car of that early.. real early.

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    You say it with such pride :P
    Pride is the incorrect term.
    Outrage might be more accurate. I can't believe that each year people use injuries as an "excuse" for a team that has talent problems. Lack of starting talent and lack of depth. Who could predict injuries? Anybody familiar with the NFL knows that there are injuries every year...on every team. To expect the Steelers not to have them AND TO BE READY for them is naive IMHO.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    I LOL everytime I hear about the Steelers using high draft picks on Oline. Robert Gallery was supposed to be the greatest lineman to ever lace up a set of cleats at one time. How did his career turn out? Draft picks dont mean squat if you miss on the guys you pick. The only way to straighten this mess out is to bring in a proven vetern or two to ancor the line and add some stability. Then our young draft picks can earn their way in instead of being thrown in before they are ready.
    Yup, that's true, so then its time to take a look at the people responsible for the draft picks, Tomlin, Colbert and the scouting department. It's not like they didn't recognize the need and try to do something about it. They tried and as of right now they failed, except for Pouncey, DeCastro and Adams remain to be seen, I think I've seen enough of Gilbert.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll