Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Offensive Line Could Hold Back Pittsburgh Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades View Post
    Pride is the incorrect term.
    Outrage might be more accurate. I can't believe that each year people use injuries as an "excuse" for a team that has talent problems. Lack of starting talent and lack of depth. Who could predict injuries? Anybody familiar with the NFL knows that there are injuries every year...on every team. To expect the Steelers not to have them AND TO BE READY for them is naive IMHO.
    Shades is in the house, the party has officially started. Good to see you and your particular brand of logic! Stick around, this could get interesting on here after tonight.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades View Post
    Pride is the incorrect term.
    Outrage might be more accurate. I can't believe that each year people use injuries as an "excuse" for a team that has talent problems. Lack of starting talent and lack of depth. Who could predict injuries? Anybody familiar with the NFL knows that there are injuries every year...on every team. To expect the Steelers not to have them AND TO BE READY for them is naive IMHO.
    Our injuries are no big deal yet imho. But there are certain players no team can really replace and still expect to compete for a championship. If Ben or Troy go down, we're f'd. Other than those 2, we should be able to get by for the most part. Ike would be a big loss. So is Heath. Maybe Timmons. Other than that, I think we'd be ok with backups.

But there's also a point where losing a large number of players starts to have an impact. Especially if you lose a bunch in the same game given you can only dress part of the 53. Carrying injured guys on roster spots doesn't necessarily make things easier.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This team has had injury and conditioning problems the last 3 years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Yup, that's true, so then its time to take a look at the people responsible for the draft picks, Tomlin, Colbert and the scouting department. It's not like they didn't recognize the need and try to do something about it. They tried and as of right now they failed, except for Pouncey, DeCastro and Adams remain to be seen, I think I've seen enough of Gilbert.

Pappy
    Hehehe... Pappy- you say the Steelers have tried to fix the OL problem & failed, except for Pouncey, DeCastro & possibly Adams.

So 3 out of the 4 high selection solutions were not failures.... yet they failed?

For the record, Chadman knows what you are saying- right now the OL is a mess even with the high selections. But outside of drafting OL in Round 1 every year until you strike lucky, how do you go about fixing the OL different to what the Steelers have done? They picked up the #1 interior OL guys in both DeCastro & Pouncey for their respective years, and got Adams (who was a Round 1 talent) in Round 2. Gilbert is the only one that could be second-guessed as to his draft value (although the end of Round 2, beginning of Round 3 was about the right spot in predictions). The Steelers haven't overdrafted, haven't reached on any of these guys.

Chadman's take- a lot of change, in a short time, to both the personel & coaching hasn't allowed the group to gel as quickly as you'd like. They are talented guys. The pieces are in place. They need time to build chemistry though.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE