Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Velasco staret tonight?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    From ESPN:

Velasco has made a quantum leap since immersing himself in the Steelers’ playbook, and his playing center would allow the team to use [URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/15035/kelvin-beachum"]Kelvin Beachum[/URL]as a sixth lineman/eligible receiver.

“I’ve never seen a guy come in and pick up an offense that fast,” Steelers running back [URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12898/isaac-redman"]Isaac Redman[/URL] said. “I haven’t seen him mess up one play.”

When asked if he feels he will be ready to play Monday night, Velasco said, “No doubt, but we’ll see what happens.”

Said Velasco, "As long as I understand the plays, don't put too much pressure on myself, and stay away from DeCastro; I should be ready to play if called on"

Ok...I may have made up that last sentence...
    This could be in the running for post of the year and I think everyone missed the oh so subtle (like a sledgehammer) jab at DeCastro.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pouncey should be worried.

I got tired of him being dominated most of last season and for the first 3 preseason games when he was in there this year. He's not a bad center but not a perennial pro bowler.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    It may just be me, but the emphasis of getting Beachum on the field as an extra TE is lost on me. Why not spend more time trying to figure out how to get Wheaton and Felix on the field instead. I would think you want your most talented players on the field. And the 3 TEs and FB don't seem to rate that high in the pecking order imho.

I thought Haley was supposed to be able to maximize the talent he has? Like he ran in KC and passed in AZ. All he seems to be able to do here is trot out all these mediocre players into our formations and we wonder why he's failing. Something doesn't smell right here. Is a playbook being forced onto Haley as well? Cause some of this stuff defies logic.
    Having Beachum out there did seem effective at giving Ben time to throw. If it is Beachum or, say, David Johnson out there, why not Beachum?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    It may just be me, but the emphasis of getting Beachum on the field as an extra TE is lost on me. Why not spend more time trying to figure out how to get Wheaton and Felix on the field instead. I would think you want your most talented players on the field. And the 3 TEs and FB don't seem to rate that high in the pecking order imho.

I thought Haley was supposed to be able to maximize the talent he has? Like he ran in KC and passed in AZ. All he seems to be able to do here is trot out all these mediocre players into our formations and we wonder why he's failing. Something doesn't smell right here. Is a playbook being forced onto Haley as well? Cause some of this stuff defies logic.
    I hear you flip. I have no problem with Beachum seeing the field as a TE, but it should not be your default offense. It should be a rarity, unless they are down on the 1 yard line. Other than that you should be running out multiple personnel groupings in order to throw off the D, not allowing them to get into their comfort zone.

I would think that when you have a poor line, an absent run game, and a QB who gets hit way too much, the answer is not to give the D more reason to crowd the middle.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I would think that when you have a poor line, an absent run game, and a QB who gets hit way too much, the answer is not to give the D more reason to crowd the middle.
    Exactly. Seemed like the majority of our plays last game were packages with 3 wide. And that wasn't working so well. So why not spread em out even more and get 4/5 WRs in the mix?

Legend

User Info Menu

Then again, you could just line Beachum up on whatever side Deebo is lining up on in order to double team him every play (you know that neither Adams nor Gilbert can handle a motivated, hungry Silverback out for revenge).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.