Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kovacevic: Will Steelers Pass Up Another Chance?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I would like to see balance on offense, but I hate the way that Haley goes about it. He doesn't always seem to use players to the best of their ability. Running Redman as a single back with 3 TEs? The 3rd and 1 plays where Dwyer lines up as a lone back 8 yards deep? Hate em.

The problem right now is that teams can really crowd the Steelers. Sanders doesn't scare anybody, nor should he. Cotchery is a great posession receiver but not a deep threat at all. Brown is a great number 2, but he doesn't seem to scare teams at all.

Putting Wheaton on the field at least adds another option, and he might back safeties off more than Cotchery ever will.

I don't want to see the Steelers become a pass happy team, per se, but I hate watching them trot out the same thing when it doesn't work, particularly in the running game.
    Running Redman is a recipe for failure. Until Bell comes back, make Dwyer the feature back, but integrate Will Johnson more into the offense as a pass receiving option until Heath returns. Our current TEs are useless. As we will see tonite that "back up Bengals TE" we could've drafted would be a major plus to our team right now.

Wheaton needs to be on the field alot. He may have more ability than any other WR we have.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Running Redman is a recipe for failure. Until Bell comes back, make Dwyer the feature back, but integrate Will Johnson more into the offense as a pass receiving option until Heath returns. Our current TEs are useless. As we will see tonite that "back up Bengals TE" we could've drafted would be a major plus to our team right now.

Wheaton needs to be on the field alot. He may have more ability than any other WR we have.
    Couldn't say it better myself about Redman. It hurts to say, because I wanted him to get the opportunity. But he's proven that he is a subpar starting NFL RB.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    To the extent that you are saying that Wheaton should be playing over Cotchery, or that the Steelers should do something different on offense, I agree completely.

The problem on this team is the offense. There is a talent issue and a coaching issue. Haley comes up with one or two good calls per game - the fake bubble screen was a great call, but Ben and Sanders couldn't connect. Outside of those few good calls he has each game, the rest of his game plans and calls leave a lot to be desired.
    I want Wheaton on the field too, but Cotchery is a chain-mover too.

I agree with the article. This system (short passes, "high-percentage") is hard to justify, especially when you watch other teams play. In today's NFL, taking shots downfield is just too juicy. One of many things can happen, not the least of which is a Pass Interference call on the defense! DBs can barely breath on the receivers. So why not take shots? The short passing game doesn't take advantage of these things. Heck, taking shots down the field gives the chance for late hits to the QB!
    Last edited by Shoe; 09-16-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I want Wheaton on the field too, but Cotchery is a chain-mover too.

I agree with the article. This system (short passes, "high-percentage") is hard to justify, especially when you watch other teams play. In today's NFL, taking shots downfield is just too juicy. One of many things can happen, not the least of which is a Pass Interference call on the defense! DBs can barely breath on the receivers. So why not take shots? The short passing game doesn't take advantage of these things. Heck, taking shots down the field gives the chance for late hits to the QB!
    With our OL, the short passes, "high-percentage" throw IS NOT hard to justify. It is the only thing that gives any hope that Ben can stay healthy.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

With our OL, the short passes, "high-percentage" throw IS NOT hard to justify. It is the only thing that gives any hope that Ben can stay healthy.
    I was thinking the same thing. Until the OL shows that they can give Ben the kind of time needed for a long play to develop, it's hard to justify leaving him back there to get killed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes, in theory. But he's getting hit anyway (i.e. 5 sacks).
    I know you'll say if we throw down the field, he'll get hit even more (which of course is right in theory). But there is also reward in going downfield more too. Plus, Ben likes it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know you'll say if we throw down the field, he'll get hit even more (which of course is right in theory). But there is also reward in going downfield more too. Plus, Ben likes it.
    But is that reward worth having Bruce Gradkowski as the starter for the rest of the year?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Until the OL shows that they can give Ben the kind of time needed for a long play to develop, it's hard to justify leaving him back there to get killed.
    How bad can he get killed in the shotgun with 4 or 5 wide to limit the rush? It's not our line that's the biggest concern. It's our coach's fascination with using mediocre TEs and FBs. And the Steelers' love affair with telegraphing plays and being predictable.

Backup

User Info Menu

I agree with this. Ben is still getting killed even when the game plan is supposedly made to protect him. If it is inevitable that Ben is going to get hurt, then max him out. Get everything you can out of him. As I said before, a healthy Ben does the team no good if they finish 6-10.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    But is that reward worth having Bruce Gradkowski as the starter for the rest of the year?
    Given how the Tennessee game went, yes. They failed to protect him even when that was what the game plan was designed to do. Let him do what he does best.

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess my question then would be: What good is Ben healthy if the Steelers only win 6,7 or 8 games? The two events, Ben staying healthy by using quick throws and winning games his way, might be mutually exclusive. Ben may not know how to win a game in which he is taking what the defense gives him and has to be patient, on the other hand, he may not make it out of the game uninjured trying to get yards in big chunks to win games.

What to do, what to do...hmmm

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

c'mon.. Ben is a big boy. Stop acting like he can't take hits. We've had a lot of success with Ben getting "killed" and lost our season last year "protecting" him.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 09-16-2013 at 12:52 PM.