Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kovacevic: Will Steelers Pass Up Another Chance?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I agree with the article. This system (short passes, "high-percentage") is hard to justify, especially when you watch other teams play. In today's NFL, taking shots downfield is just too juicy. One of many things can happen, not the least of which is a Pass Interference call on the defense! DBs can barely breath on the receivers. So why not take shots? The short passing game doesn't take advantage of these things. Heck, taking shots down the field gives the chance for late hits to the QB!
    The problem with this team is who do you take the shots with? The next tough catch that Sanders makes on a deep ball with be the first. Brown can get deep, but it is tougher with a small WR.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've been a Haley supporter. And if last week was an aberration, so be it. But the system that is predicated on efficiency & consistency where the QB gets rid of the ball quickly (minimizing hits on him) has to actually show it. Otherwise, what is the point?

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    The problem with this team is who do you take the shots with? The next tough catch that Sanders makes on a deep ball with be the first. Brown can get deep, but it is tougher with a small WR.
    I think Wheaton has that potential. I think they all do to an extent. Remember also, it is not ALL about bombs over the top of the defense. It is deep outs, seam routes, and general passes in that 15-20 yard area. That is the bulk of what I consider downfield throws.
    Last edited by Shoe; 09-16-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    How bad can he get killed in the shotgun with 4 or 5 wide to limit the rush? It's not our line that's the biggest concern. It's our coach's fascination with using mediocre TEs and FBs. And the Steelers' love affair with telegraphing plays and being predictable.
    Our TE and FB situation is not the coach's chice right now. The good TE we could have starting right now will be a rookie wearing a Bengals uniform tonite.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Our TE and FB situation is not the coach's chice right now. The good TE we could have starting right now will be a rookie wearing a Bengals uniform tonite.
    So you woulda preferred him over Jarvis?

Legend

User Info Menu

of course... rookies don't get playing time on D until the.. err, oops

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would have, though I'm very happy with Jarvis, I'm bummed that another AFCN team got Eifert- especially one that already has a top line TE.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    So the Steelers should keep running their heads into a brick wall?
    I thought I sprinkled enough sarcasm into that statement. Sorry, my bad.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I thought I sprinkled enough sarcasm into that statement. Sorry, my bad.
    I would have (and probably should have) seen the sarcasm except for the fact that there are old-school Steeler fans that really feel that way - that the team should stubbornly continue to pound and pound away.

Starter

User Info Menu

If it was December already we could unleash hell. Oooops....wait....that was last December that we unleashed it.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades View Post
    If it was December already we could unleash hell. Oooops....wait....that was last December that we unleashed it.
    Nah, that was like 2 seasons ago.