Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Continued Sissification of the NFL

Legend

User Info Menu

Continued Sissification of the NFL

Spinning a ball in front of the defender is a penalty?!?

Coaches whining that their 'read option' QBs are being hit too much.

Incidental helmet contact is a personal foul?!?!

Is this really professional football we are watching?!?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

Not any more

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I actually thought you were going to mention the "thunderstorm" delays in this thread. the fans are tougher than the players.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well it's rare to see men in an NFL commercial. Now it's women in every one. what'd you expect? Course female fans want tougher than what Rog is giving them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

It hasn't been professional football for a few years now and it is going to get worse and IMHO, within a few generations the game will be a thing of the past. You have current players saying they won't allow their kids to play football, so even in its current softer version the players are realizing the dangers of the game.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 09-16-2013 at 08:17 AM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I bet they once had the same conversations about the pussification of the gladiators in the roman colosseum. On a positive, it took over 200 years for these contests to fade away. So we should be ok with some version of the NFL for the rest of our lifetime.

Legend

User Info Menu

The pussification of the NFL? The game is becoming a direct reflection of its commissioner.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I honestly blame the advent of Fantasy Football for a lot of this. The NFL has read into the HUGE participation numbers for FF. Rightly or wrongly they think that fans want more scoring. So they come up with all these rules making it impossible for defenses to dominate.

Bah!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    I honestly blame the advent of Fantasy Football for a lot of this. The NFL has read into the HUGE participation numbers for FF. Rightly or wrongly they think that fans want more scoring. So they come up with all these rules making it impossible for defenses to dominate.

Bah!
    I dunno. I watched the Seattle/SF game last night and Seattle's D dominated and pretty potent O. I think there's still a place for great D and the teams with the best D's will continue to win championships, even while everyone else focuses on bettering their O.

Backup

User Info Menu

Defense hasn't been fazed out, it's job is different. It's no longer about yards allowed, it's about forcing turnovers and putting up points or setting up the offense with a short field.