Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Continued Sissification of the NFL

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I dunno. I watched the Seattle/SF game last night and Seattle's D dominated and pretty potent O. I think there's still a place for great D and the teams with the best D's will continue to win championships, even while everyone else focuses on bettering their O.
    yep.. 5-0 at halftime? Seattle put on a clinic on defense.

My beef is all the flags... I watched a few games yesterday and it seemed like every other incompletion has a flag.. like there has to be a reason a pass wasn't completed

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I dunno. I watched the Seattle/SF game last night and Seattle's D dominated and pretty potent O. I think there's still a place for great D and the teams with the best D's will continue to win championships, even while everyone else focuses on bettering their O.
    That was pretty amazing. After week one, everyone spoke like CK was the new evolution in the NFL. Seattle just showed how to get it done with great D. They are going to be formidable this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    yep.. 5-0 at halftime? Seattle put on a clinic on defense.

My beef is all the flags... I watched a few games yesterday and it seemed like every other incompletion has a flag.. like there has to be a reason a pass wasn't completed
    Totally agree. Some games are almost unwatchable b/c of something being called almost every play. The flow of the game is destroyed. If not the Steelers, I've turned game off because 3 or 4 plays take 15 minutes, with a damn commercial every time a flag is thrown.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Totally agree. Some games are almost unwatchable b/c of something being called almost every play. The flow of the game is destroyed. If not the Steelers, I've turned game off because 3 or 4 plays take 15 minutes, with a damn commercial every time a flag is thrown.
    That's why I use the DVR to instantly forward past all the junk.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    That was pretty amazing. After week one, everyone spoke like CK was the new evolution in the NFL. Seattle just showed how to get it done with great D. They are going to be formidable this year.
    Or, maybe Kaepernik and Wilson aren't everything the media wants them to be in their second year. They had success last year, yes, but I still have faith in defensive coordinators that given time they will come up with an answer to anything an offense wants to throw at them. I still think the read option will die on the vine as the hits pile up and defensive coordinators devise ways to stop that particular style of offense. It's not surprising (at least not to me) that the best quarterbacks in the game are drop back passers that can do one of two things read the defense quickly and make a decision or move in the pocket just enough to be able to make the final read and then a decision.

Even though RG III put up good numbers yeaterday, Rodney Harrison and Tony Dungy were talking about him potentially be benched if his play doesn't improve over the next game or two. Chip Kelly and his high flying circus will meet the same fate, maybe not this year, but at some point. We'll see how it all plays out.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Not to mention, Seattle can run the ball. Hmm, running and defense both seem to work if you get good players who can execute.

Backup

User Info Menu

Not to mention, Seattle can run the ball. Hmm, running and defense both seem to work if you get good players who can execute.
    Isaac Redman isn't Marshawn Lynch. Hell, Le'Veon Bell isn't even Marshawn Lynch, especially coming off of an injury. Also, the Seahawks defense gets turnovers. The Steelers defense doesn't.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    Isaac Redman isn't Marshawn Lynch. Hell, Le'Veon Bell isn't even Marshawn Lynch, especially coming off of an injury. Also, the Seahawks defense gets turnovers. The Steelers defense doesn't.
    It's the combo of offense and defense...

The defense gets TOs because the offense can run the ball...that shortens the game and forces the O to take more chances, leading to more TOs...

Our offense was so inept last week, the Titans were able turtle up and still win the game...their offense didn't play particularly well nor efficiently...just better than our offense...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It's the combo of offense and defense...

The defense gets TOs because the offense can run the ball...that shortens the game and forces the O to take more chances, leading to more TOs...

Our offense was so inept last week, the Titans were able turtle up and still win the game...their offense didn't play particularly well nor efficiently...just better than our offense...
    Saying "defenses can't force turnovers because the offense didn't run the ball" is outdated thinking. Look around the NFL Slapstick, time of possession and rushing yards have never meant less, yet other teams defenses are still better at forcing turnovers than the Steelers. Besides, the offense was top 5 in TOP in 2011 and 2012 and the defense still couldn't get turnovers. For a team that spends most of it's money on defense, you need to stop trying to blame the offense for all of the defense's short-comings. And no, by no means am I saying this offense is great (far from it), but to blame the defense's lack of turnovers on the offenses is just beyond foolish.

The reason the defense doesn't force turnovers is because they play scared in the secondary. There's always huge cushioning space between the Steelers DBs and the other teams WRs. Playing safe or "tackling the catch" gets you nowhere in today's NFL.

I bet that's a reason why Steeler fans loved the idea of "dink-and-dunk." They saw other teams do it to the Steelers so often, so they figure if the Steelers do it they'll be just as successful. Wrong. Other teams defenses, while maybe not as great statistically, are much more aggressive than the Steelers' defense. They press against the Steelers' WRs and don't give them the space to dink-and-dunk. Since the Steelers let go of their last deep threat, and won't let the potential new one (Wheaton) play because he's a rookie, dink-and-dunk has no chance to work for the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    Saying "defenses can't force turnovers because the offense didn't run the ball" is outdated thinking. Look around the NFL Slapstick, time of possession and rushing yards have never meant less, yet other teams defenses are still better at forcing turnovers than the Steelers. Besides, the offense was top 5 in TOP in 2011 and 2012 and the defense still couldn't get turnovers. For a team that spends most of it's money on defense, you need to stop trying to blame the offense for all of the defense's short-comings. And no, by no means am I saying this offense is great (far from it), but to blame the defense's lack of turnovers on the offenses is just beyond foolish.

The reason the defense doesn't force turnovers is because they play scared in the secondary. There's always huge cushioning space between the Steelers DBs and the other teams WRs. Playing safe or "tackling the catch" gets you nowhere in today's NFL.

I bet that's a reason why Steeler fans loved the idea of "dink-and-dunk." They saw other teams do it to the Steelers so often, so they figure if the Steelers do it they'll be just as successful. Wrong. Other teams defenses, while maybe not as great statistically, are much more aggressive than the Steelers' defense. They press against the Steelers' WRs and don't give them the space to dink-and-dunk. Since the Steelers let go of their last deep threat, and won't let the potential new one (Wheaton) play because he's a rookie, dink-and-dunk has no chance to work for the Steelers.
    The idea that the Steelers secondary always plays with a cushion is a myth. For example, there was no cushion on Thomas in the Denver playoff game against Tebow.

The Steelers have been more aggressive in coverage since Lewis and Allen both showed that they were up to the task.

I think a lot of the lack of turnovers is due to the lack of pressure. The Steelers didn't force a turnover last week, but they got close on a couple.