Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: James Harrison: Steelers exit inevitable

Harrison's departure

Harrison turned down $3.7 million from the Steelers in a pay cut from his scheduled salary of $6.57 million for 2013 and they released him. He signed with the Bengals for two years and $4.45 million.

"No surprise," Harrison said of the inglorious end to a spectacular nine-year career with the Steelers that included four Pro Bowls and one NFL defensive player of the year award.

"I knew when we first started talking and negotiating that things didn't look like I was going to end up there. We couldn't come to an agreement that was comfortable to them or comfortable to me, so we parted ways. It's just a business."

Harrison said he has no second thoughts about turning down the Steelers, would not acknowledge he took less to play with the Bengals and "there are only a few people that know exactly what was going on in those negotiations."

Clark once took less money to return to the Steelers as a free agent, spurning a better offer from the Miami Dolphins. He said Harrison's situation is not the same and that pride on both sides got in the way of Harrison's return.

"He was still part of this team and he wanted a deal to be worked out," Clark said. "It wasn't that he wouldn't take the pay cut, he was trying to take the pay cut and get it done in a way that was to his liking, that would make the deal worth it for him. You can't fault the man for that.

"When one side, James, says this is what I'll do and nothing else, and this side, the organization, says this is what I'll do and nothing else, then nothing gets done.

"I think pride enters into it both ways. The thing we all want as players -- another organization can turn on the film and say 'Ryan Clark does X,' but you feel like the people in this building know what you do beyond that film, they know what you bring beyond that, they know what you give and sacrifice beyond that.

"It is tough, and in some ways hurtful, when they make those types of decisions."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2eqIfuwpo

He really made an impact for them against the Bears. His 1 tackle really contributed. We've got to get used to letting go of players when they get this old and hurt. Its part of the reason why the Steelers are struggling now. Holding on too long.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    He really made an impact for them against the Bears. His 1 tackle really contributed. We've got to get used to letting go of players when they get this old and hurt. Its part of the reason why the Steelers are struggling now. Holding on too long.
    It was only week one. Mike Wallace only had one catch last week and had a great game yesterday. Deebo is being used differently by the Bengals than what the Steelers did. My only hope is that he doesn't catch fire tonight.