Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Never draft defensive ends in the first!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    you could say that about every player, coach, etc... no one makes a thread about guys when they are doing their job.
    As the one who made the thread, i never liked the picks based on the title of this thread. After we drafted Heyward, our SECOND defensive end in only three years, I wrote the following:

Couldn't agree more Crash.
    I have always contended that the skill set required for DE in our D does not require a 1st round pick period. Two is just ridiculous.
    While your comment is sarcastic you do know that JPN does in fact "blame Arians" when we drafted Hood over an olineman?
    You need to lay some knowledge on him,
    I like Tomlin and think Colbert has no peer, but this one is most certainly on them. Hood especially, should have been a second rounder on a 4-3 team

Despite the very uncharacteristic FIRST LINE of that post yes I said that.

If Smith were in the draft TODAY with his tiny school and measurable, he would NOT BE a first round pick.

Prediction: When all is said and done (4th round pick) Al Woods WILL wind up to be the best 3/4 defensive end on this roster.

Smith was powerful, able to dominate and control a lineman, but not as clock fast as Hood or Heyward.
    The same can be said of Al Wood who ALSO was a 4th round pick.

The difference between first round picks tends to be speed.

You can often get EXTREMELY powerful linemen outside the first. They just dont time well.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-13-2013 at 01:22 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    As the one who made the thread, i never liked the picks based on the title of this thread. After we drafted Heyward, our SECOND defensive end in only three years, I wrote the following:

I have always contended that the skill set required for DE in our D does not require a 1st round pick period. Two is just ridiculous.
    While your comment is sarcastic you do know that JPN does in fact "blame Arians" when we drafted Hood over an olineman?
    You need to lay some knowledge on him,
    I like Tomlin and think Colbert has no peer, but this one is most certainly on them. Hood especially, should have been a second rounder on a 4-3 team

Despite the very uncharacteristic FIRST LINE of that post yes I said that
    welp... there it is

Legend

User Info Menu

LOL. Stop making crap up

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    LOL. Stop making crap up
    Yes, I know my credibility is SHOT.
    I agree with Crash......AND bash Tomlin and Colbert IN THE SAME POST

Perhaps I left the computer unlocked and someone in my house typed that crazy stuff.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    bingo... and bringing back old players is a clear sign our coaching ain't working. I think it's time to get younger with out coaches. Sure DL is a legend but we keep bringing back subpar players because the guys we have or want to get can't crack the code.

Someone made a great point on Charlotte radio when talking about Cam Newton... out of 9 or 10 young QB's 8 of them have coaches from the college ranks or young guys at the helm. Cam has Rivera.. a newbie who is defense minded... and it shows IMO.

I think we are going through the same problem.. we are stuck on old football and all these teams are wide open gashing teams while we small ball it and slow roll it hoping to win a 17 to 14 nail biter.
    You are right on. Successful teams are about maximizing the players ability to contribute. Here we put the players second and an old coach first.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes, I know my credibility is SHOT.
    I agree with Crash......AND bash Tomlin and Colbert IN THE SAME POST

Perhaps I left the computer unlocked and someone in my house typed that crazy stuff.
    or... you're crash!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    or... you're crash!

You Take That BACK Buster !!!!!!!!

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You are right on. Successful teams are about maximizing the players ability to contribute. Here we put the players second and an old coach first.
    Well.....in his defense we ARE supposed to be drafting players for HIS scheme.
    It is not like he came here and inherited these guys.

My problem is why we are taking "these" guys for his defense.

TCFCLTC-