Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time for a Messegeboard Group Hug...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Since we are going all Dr Seuss here, thought Id write some prose for the chiken littles and other naysayers... I do not like Lambert and Ham, I do not like them Pap I am. I do not like them in the Hall, I do not like Stillers at all. I do not like that Tomlin punk, and Webby smelled just like a skunk. I do not like when Big Ben throws, I do not like our St LeBeau. I do not like that Chucky Noll, they'll never sniff the Super Bowl. Goodell outlawed the big-time hit, cause he don't like the team one bit. They won their six, it just ain't fair, the Steelers suck and I don't care.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

My grumpiness isn't because of the first game, it's because of every game since the debacle in Denver and getting Tebowed. There is a trail of inconsistency from that day forward up through last weekend. I very well expect the Steleers to play and well and beat Cincinnati, of course, I also expect them to lose to the Jets, Bill and Browns twice. The inconsistencies, lack of discipline, lack of leadership, personnel decisions that seem mind numbingly idiotic even to a casual observer continue to mount and I don't see an end in sight. My dad informs me that this is reminiscent of the 60s, erratic coaching decisions, players playing well below expectations, stupid penalties, turnovers and most of all an offense that can't score points consistently.

Even in the 80s when Cowher's teams weren't playing well they didn't seem to be a rudderless ship with no direction, they always needed a quarterback. For the life of me I can't determine what this team is missing, so it's probably some intangible thing that is not apparent to the casual observer.

I called my dad after the game and we were talking about the game and he asked me about the DeCastro disaster and I told him that was the strangest thing I have ever seen. His response, "That was the epitome of 1960s Steeler football, sabotage your own team." So, while many of you are searching for ways to sugarcoat this past weekend, I've been talking to my dad who lived through and attended Steeler games in the 60s and the similarities are eerie.

Physically this team can compete, mentally they are substandard and I don't see it changing any time soon, because it's been happening for about the past 17 games, hence 8-8 and 0-1. Maybe the light bulb will come on and the players will begin to understand that the academic side of the game is as important as the physical side of the game. Unfortunately, I don't think these players understand that at all.

So, until, there is a seismic change in the attitude, the preparedness, and some leadership steps forward it is my contention that this group of players will look dismal one week and like a world beater the next, but won't rise above 8-8 and based on last week that could be very generous.

We'll see how they rally around Beachum, Wilson, Jones and Dwyer this week against one of the best, if not the best, defensive fronts in the game today.

Just as an FYI, Pappy is actually happy and snappy, but not crappy and needing a nappy.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 09-12-2013 at 07:16 AM.

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    My grumpiness isn't because of the first game, it's because of every game since the debacle in Denver and getting Tebowed. There is a trail of inconsistency from that day forward up through last weekend. I very well expect the Steleers to play and well and beat Cincinnati, of course, I also expect them to lose to the Jets, Bill and Browns twice. The inconsistencies, lack of discipline, lack of leadership, personnel decisions that seem mind numbingly idiotic even to a casual observer continue to mount and I don't see an end in sight. My dad informs me that this is reminiscent of the 60s, erratic coaching decisions, players playing well below expectations, stupid penalties, turnovers and most of all an offense that can't score points consistently.

Even in the 80s when Cowher's teams weren't playing well they didn't seem to be a rudderless ship with no direction, they always needed a quarterback. For the life of me I can't determine what this team is missing, so it's probably some intangible thing that is not apparent to the casual observer.

I called my dad after the game and we were talking about the game and he asked me about the DeCastro disaster and I told him that was the strangest thing I have ever seen. His response, "That was the epitome of 1960s Steeler football, sabotage your own team." So, while many of you are searching for ways to sugarcoat this past weekend, I've been talking to my dad who lived through and attended Steeler games in the 60s and the similarities are eerie.

Physically this team can compete, mentally they are substandard and I don't see it changing any time soon, because it's been happening for about the past 17 games, hence 8-8 and 0-1. Maybe the light bulb will come on and the players will begin to understand that the academic side of the game is as important as the physical side of the game. Unfortunately, I don't think these players understand that at all.

So, until, there is a seismic change in the attitude, the preparedness, and some leadership steps forward it is my contention that this group of players will look dismal one week and like a world beater the next, but won't rise above 8-8 and based on last week that could be very generous.

We'll see how they rally around Beachum, Wilson, Jones and Dwyer this week against one of the best, if not the best, defensive fronts in the game today.

Just as an FYI, Pappy is actually happy and snappy, but not crappy and needing a nappy.

Pappy
    Tell us how you really feel

I'm in the same boat with you, brother. I think this team has lost its swagger. The mental edge is out the door. But at the end of the day, we still have Ben and Troy and I think that gives us a chance against anyone. And those 2 still make us a legit SuperBowl contender. Hopefully some others step up and help them out.

Legend

User Info Menu

There once was a guy name 'o Pap
    Who was tired and sick of the crap
    He longed for much more...
    Block, tackle, and score
    But in the end, "hey you kids, GET OFF MY LAWN"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Group 3 are the first to climb up the "Oh my God, the season is over!!" tree after one game....
    Yinzers are often the most diehard group of Steelers fans but at the same time they can be quite irrational and ridiculous since they expect 19-0 seasons all the time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    Yinzers are often the most diehard group of Steelers fans but at the same time they can be quite irrational and ridiculous since they expect 19-0 seasons all the time.
    Yinz take that back, n'at. Jagoff...

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Yinz take that back, n'at. Jagoff...
    Um sick'n tard uh d'way yinz guys talk.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    Interesting observations, Ol' Grumpy One.

Chadman follows a number of football codes, and it seems that nearly every team he follows goes through these.... 'not quite right' times. It's like the pieces are almost all together, but no matter how you tinker with it...the result is just off.

This is where Chadman sees the Steelers. There is endless amounts of tinkering over the last couple of years... from getting rid of malcontinent WR's, to removing Mendenhall's spinning ruinning style in favour of a more traditional 'up the middle' approach, to spending higher draft picks on more athletic OL, to getting a youth injection along the DL, to getting athletic DB's...

No end of tinkering, but the results don't change- inconsistant WR play, a running game that stalls, Ben still under too much pressure, not enough pressure from the DL & no turnovers.

So where are the Steelers going wrong? In many ways, they are doing the right thing- trying to plug the weaknesses with new, highly touted younger players. But the result doesn't change. Is it Tomlin? Colbert & the scouting? The scheme? Ben? Too much reliance on Troy?

In Chadman's observations, it's often the case that when there is no obvious solution, if every avenue has been explored & the results don't change, you have to look at what the constant's have been to find the problem, and often the solution.

In this case, Chadman thinks it's the whole Steelers scheme that needs 'blowing up'. There's too much insistance on getting players to fit the standard scheme's, and not enough on getting the scheme to fit the players at hand. At least, that was the case until this season, where both the OL & DL schemes have been modified to suit the players on the roster. That neither unit is excelling yet could be a 'too early to expect results' situation, but the move to zone blocking SHOULD suit the players on the roster, as should the move to more gap-shooting for the DL.

The pieces are in place- the players on the roster ARE NOT BAD PLAYERS. But 1 of 2 things has to happen. Either Tomlin needs to implement a new scheme, accentuate the strengths of the team (Ben is the prize piece- this SHOULD be a passing team, and the D should be a high impact, attacking D at all times) instead of trying to find some mythical 'balance' that they have failed to grasp over the last 3 years, or the Steelers need to make the move to change the guys implementing the scheme. Chadman likes Tomlin, and thinks the changes can be made if they commit to them, but if the reports are true, and the Rooney's want more running, or if Haley was forced on Tomlin, then the control of the team must be given fully to Tomlin, or taken away completely & given to someone else (Cowher??).
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE