Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelvin Beachum to start at center against Bengals in Week 2

Legend

User Info Menu

Kelvin Beachum to start at center against Bengals in Week 2

Kelvin Beachum to start at center against Bengals in Week 2

By Neal Coolong on Sep 10 2013

The second-year offensive lineman will start at the third different position in his 17-game NFL career when the Steelers take on Cincinnati on Monday Night Football.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confirmed Kelvin Beachum will start at center in Week 2, when the Steelers travel to Cincinnati to take on the Bengals on Monday Night Football.

The Steelers lost starter Maurkice Pouncey for the season when he tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee against Tennessee in Week 1. Beachum replaced Pouncey, who was injured just eight plays into the game.

Fernando Velasco was signed to the roster Monday, but the Steelers are going with Beachum, the second-year player who had not played center in a game at any point of his football career before Sunday.

Beachum didn't fare particularly well during the game, having been handled by Titans defensive tackle Jurell Casey. The Steelers rushed for 32 yards and had less than 200 total yards in the game. They allowed five sacks of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The Bengals (0-1) have one of the game's best defensive front sevens, anchored by DT Geno Atkins, who's arguably the best interior defensive lineman in football.

With an extra day to prepare, though, Beachum won't be thrown into the fire the way he was against Tennessee. It's difficult to handle Atkins after five weeks of preparation, though.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/9/10/4715414/steelers-starting-center-offensive-line-depth-chart-week-2-bengals[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I know that the Steelers like Beachum, but I think he is better suited as a super-sub and occasional TE. I would rather see one of the new centers start, but perhaps both need more time to learn the offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why did the Steelers sign Cody Wallace?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Why did the Steelers sign Cody Wallace?
    Thats a question I would love to hear an answer to.

Legend

User Info Menu

OK, I'm not at practices or in the locker room, if the coaches think Beachum is the best we have for week 2, I accept that decision.

What I think this means is that we will have a golden "test tube" opportunity to evaluate the coaching staff. Beachum has known weaknesses (can't block well, but besides that he's an awesome offensive lineman), and that can't be fixed by coaching. But what the coaches *can* do is game plan around those weaknesses.

So will we see a game plan indistinguishable from when Pouncey was in there? Or will we see obvious adjustments to reflect who we are playing and their skill sets? (Maybe have Ben go into motion a lot, no 7 step drops (heck, not too many 5 step drops either)? In other words, not have the outcome of the game depend on Beachum having to control the beast he's lining up across from? "Cause - that's not going to happen.

All those people who want Tomlin's and Haley's head on a platter will have an opportunity to see if they're on the mark or not after Monday night, I guess.

PS Same goes for the Defense. My 2 cents: I can remember ONE game where it seemed to me that LeBeau game planned - against the *s a few years ago where we came out looking like a totally different team on D, pressing at the line, confusing Marsha Brady, and holy cow we won that game. I know this is unfair and probably wrong, but it seems to me that every other game than that LeBeau has the same friggin' game plan. He just erases last week's opponent's name on the top of the chalkboard and replaces it with this week's. Great for "stats", not so much for W-L records.

OK, flame away!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm good with the decision if they feel Velasco needs more time. Velasco will be the starter here shortly. The Steelers lucked out IMO with Velasco being on the street. Pouncey will be missed but I believe Velasco will fill the void very well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    Thats a question I would love to hear an answer to.
    That is a heck of a question. I read a lot about how they signed him over Malecki because he is more of a natural center than Malecki. If that is the case, why isn't he playing center?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    That is a heck of a question. I read a lot about how they signed him over Malecki because he is more of a natural center than Malecki. If that is the case, why isn't he playing center?
    He was "good enough" to sign and then cut a guy who'd been with the team all through camp, since last year, and made the roster and then he wasn't good enough to even dress come game day. This in turn caused Beachum to be utilized a center, a position he'd never played b/f trying it in camp this year, AND causing the entire offence (coaches included) to loose their minds when the back-up tackle/guard couldn't play the 3rd TE spot. WTF? There wasn't one other guy who could not dress knowing Beachum was the lynch pin to the entire offense (that last sentence makes me sick to my stomach).

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I'm good with the decision if they feel Velasco needs more time. Velasco will be the starter here shortly. The Steelers lucked out IMO with Velasco being on the street. Pouncey will be missed but I believe Velasco will fill the void very well.
    It's only Wednesday.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    He was "good enough" to sign and then cut a guy who'd been with the team all through camp, since last year, and made the roster and then he wasn't good enough to even dress come game day. This in turn caused Beachum to be utilized a center, a position he'd never played b/f trying it in camp this year, AND causing the entire offence (coaches included) to loose their minds when the back-up tackle/guard couldn't play the 3rd TE spot. WTF? There wasn't one other guy who could not dress knowing Beachum was the lynch pin to the entire offense (that last sentence makes me sick to my stomach).
    lmao. beachum the lynch pin of our entire offense. it's so trai essex it isn't funny.