Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Omg ... Redman starting again?!?!

Legend

User Info Menu

Isaac Redman will have a chance to “redeem himself” in Week Two

Posted by Josh Alper on September 10, 2013

An injury to Le’Veon Bell’s foot opened up a starting job for Steelers running back Isaac Redman and Redman didn’t exactly make a case for holding onto it.

He did make a case for the benefits of holding onto the ball, however. Redman fumbled twice on his way to nine rushing yards for the day, part of a dreadful overall offensive performance for the Steelers in their 16-9 loss to the Titans. Redman was pulled from the game after the second fumble, but returned after LaRod Stephens-Howling went down with an ACL tear.

And, despite the return of Jonathan Dwyer, Redman will return to the starting job again against the Bengals next Monday night.

“Obviously he played a bad game,” coach Mike Tomlin said, via Scott Brown of ESPN.com. “He’ll be given an opportunity to redeem himself.”

Tomlin’s announcement would seem to make it unlikely that Bell will be back for the second game of the season, something he was hoping to do last week. As for Dwyer, Tomlin said that his playing time “depends on his dependability.”

The fact that the Steelers cut him in favor of Redman with Bell out suggests that the team wasn’t enamored of his dependability a couple of weeks ago, but there’s nothing like a brutal day running the ball to make you reconsider earlier opinions.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/10/isaac-redman-will-have-a-chance-to-redeem-himself-in-week-two/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Chadman doesn't think Bell is going to be a significant contributor this side of the bye week, and who knows how long after that. This is a significant injury for a RB due to it being on his foot. It's going to take time to not only get healthy, but get the power needed to step off that foot & through a hole. It might not be what we want to hear, but Redman, Dwyer & Jones might be the staple for a good while yet.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GermanCrash View Post
    Actually you need to base the entire offense on what gives you the best chance to run and pass.

And an 8 man line with 3 TEs and 1 WR on the field ain't it.
    I agree with this, particularly when none of the TEs are named Miller.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    He runs like you post.
    hot damn...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I'm puzzled by this as well. Tomlin was so quick to bench guys last year, now he has changed. I don't think Redman should be benched a game for fumbling, but I would give Jones a chance. In regards to last year, when I'm in the heat of the game, I'm all for benching them lol!, but a day later some reasoning kicks in and they should maybe be demoted until the trust is regained if the fumbling is a recurring problem. The knee jerk reaction by tomlin last year seems to be tempered this year. I'm fine with that, as the 1st fumble could have gone either way....bens fault or redmans fault imo. We saw this last night when RGIII tossed a ball a little off target and caused a fumble. RGIII was in his first real action as was Redman. You don't want the players playing on eggshells but you also want them to be responsible for their mistakes.
    Redman comes to meetings on time and doesn't piss off the coaches or FO the other 6 days of the week so he is good to go.

I was a Redman fan too but the guy is nothing more than a short yardage back.... and he has been fumbling A TON lately.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    really? Jones has been playing football his whole life and he doesn't know enough of this playbook to start? Come on.. how difficult can it possible be? He knew the playbook enough to play a large amount during the 4th preseason game. Did he suddenly forget everything? I doubt it. At a minimum, simplify a few play calls to get him some game action.

I'm tired of the excuses.... make something happen.
    Nobody said that Jones (or Dwyer for that matter) wouldn't play, just that Redman would start.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe the RB rotation will be on a carry-by-carry basis... Redman gets carry 1, Dwyer 2, Jones 3...pass...Redman 1, Dwyer 2.... etc
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Nobody said that Jones (or Dwyer for that matter) wouldn't play, just that Redman would start.
    Correct Sugar. With the way our line pass blocks we need Redman on the field. That is why Jones isn't starting.

Am I the only one who feels the fumble at the goal line isn't on Redman? It's the QBs job to make sure the running back gets the ball on a handoff and Redman never had possession of that ball. Ben was late rotating around and put the ball in Redman's chest, not where it's supposed to be. I think that fumble is on Ben.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Correct Sugar. With the way our line pass blocks we need Redman on the field. That is why Jones isn't starting.

Am I the only one who feels the fumble at the goal line isn't on Redman? It's the QBs job to make sure the running back gets the ball on a handoff and Redman never had possession of that ball. Ben was late rotating around and put the ball in Redman's chest, not where it's supposed to be. I think that fumble is on Ben.
    I thought the first one was on Ben as well, or was at least a joint effort. Also, there was plenty of confusion on the field with the wrong personnel grouping out there. Tomlin or Ben could have called a time out and settled things down. Plenty of blame to go around.

I don't like Redman as a starter, but he is decent enough as a third down back and as a change of pace.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I thought the first one was on Ben as well, or was at least a joint effort. Also, there was plenty of confusion on the field with the wrong personnel grouping out there. Tomlin or Ben could have called a time out and settled things down. Plenty of blame to go around.

I don't like Redman as a starter, but he is decent enough as a third down back and as a change of pace.
    I'm comfortable with the "joint effort" description. Ben, Red and Tomlin all explained why they didn't call the TO in their interviews. It seems to make sense but it just didn't work out. You better believe that Red will have a special emphasis on ball security this week. Deebo is going to be looking to pull that baby free.