Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: That was the worst our offense looked since a 15-6 loss to Philly in week 3 of 2008.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GermanCrash View Post
    Nope, the fantasy owners are the ones who are only concerned where the defense ranks.

What I hated about the Cowher offense with Ben is he would play a solid game, we turtle, the defense gives up the lead, then Ben saves them late.

Why turtle? Why not just kick their ass when you have them beaten? When Cowher's on CBS talking about how teams weren't aggressive and didn't "put a team away" I could reach through the screen and choke him. Because he was the King of it.
    Because it NEARLY ALWAYS won for two straight years. Did we EVER lose a game when we went turtle in years 1 and 2 of Ben?

Say what you want about Ben "saving" us, which has merit. Nevertheless, we LOSE LEADS with frequency since Cowher has departed DESPITE Ben's abilities to launch comebacks.

Heck we held onto leads BETTER with many of the inferior QBs that preceded Ben thanks to "the turtle".

"The turtle" worked my friend.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Banned

User Info Menu

Truth be told, I must admit that was a little run heavy. Frankly my favorite all time run pass ratio was Arians first season as OC.
    And what happened? In the Jags playoff game? The OFFENSE scored every time they had the ball in the second half.

They then needed ONE first down, to win, and what did they do?

Run

Run

Run

And then punt and play defense, because that's what Bill Cowher did.

And the defense gave up the lead, didn't they?

You got the turtle, and David Gerard sent you home.

Banned

User Info Menu

Because it NEARLY ALWAYS won for two straight years. Did we EVER lose a game when we went turtle in years 1 and 2 of Ben?
    Define winning though? Case in point, Cowher's team had a 21-10 lead in the 4th, against the Raiders in 2004, LeBeau's first game back, Ben didn't start. Whiz was OC.

They blew the lead giving up 11 fourth quarter points, Maddox then drove the team down the field, kicked a field goal, and won.

Now, did the "turtle" win? Or did Maddox SAVING them win?

That's what people don't take into consideration when they throw up a general stat.

FOR YEARS, networks would pull up "John Elway was the last QB to start a career 2-0".

Without taking into account, that in BOTH GAMES, once for injury, and once for bad play, he was removed, and Steve DeBerg finished, and won both games in the 4th quarter.

Banned

User Info Menu

Nevertheless, we LOSE LEADS with frequency since Cowher has departed DESPITE Ben's abilities to launch comebacks.
    And why do they lose leads? Because this defense, CONSTANTLY, gives points right back, after the OFFENSE scores points, themselves.

It's why we missed the playoffs in 2009, it's why SB XLIII wasn't a rout, and it's why the 2012 Steelers started 2-3.

You can't protect the defense for 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes, 60 minutes, etc.

At some point, they MUST go on the goddamn field, and make a play.

And if protecting the defense IS needed? Start giving the OFFENSE more money.

Legend

User Info Menu

And what happened? In the Jags playoff game? The OFFENSE scored every time they had the ball in the second half.

They then needed ONE first down, to win, and what did they do?

Run

Run

Run

And then punt and play defense, because that's what Bill Cowher did.

And the defense gave up the lead, didn't they?

You got the turtle, and David Gerard sent you home.
    Stuff like this that happened earier that same game can make you a little gun-shy:

Ben Roethlisberger pass incomplete short right intended for Santonio Holmes is intercepted by Rashean Mathis at JAX-37 and returned for 63 yards, touchdown.

They also scored after another interception in the same game, and Ben had a third interception that did not lead to a score.

Dude, BC was LONG GONE. Art II did not start yapping to "run more" so you cannot blame him.

Tomlin and Arians obviously DID NOT TRUST the QB not to turn over the ball again.

WHO'S FAULT IS THAT?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-10-2013 at 04:21 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Stuff like this that happened earier that same game can make you a little gun-shy:

Ben Roethlisberger pass incomplete short right intended for Santonio Holmes is intercepted by Rashean Mathis at JAX-37 and returned for 63 yards, touchdown.
    Oh stop it. They scored every drive of the second half. Obviously they had enough trust in Ben to get them back in the game.

Until once again, trying to protect the defense, became the focal point. But unfortunately it didn't work, and they gave up the lead.

As usual.

Legend

User Info Menu

Define winning though? Case in point, Cowher's team had a 21-10 lead in the 4th, against the Raiders in 2004, LeBeau's first game back, Ben didn't start. Whiz was OC.

They blew the lead giving up 11 fourth quarter points, Maddox then drove the team down the field, kicked a field goal, and won.

Now, did the "turtle" win? Or did Maddox SAVING them win?

That's what people don't take into consideration when they throw up a general stat.

FOR YEARS, networks would pull up "John Elway was the last QB to start a career 2-0".

Without taking into account, that in BOTH GAMES, once for injury, and once for bad play, he was removed, and Steve DeBerg finished, and won both games in the 4th quarter.
    So the answer is NO we NEVER lost a game going "turtle" during Ben's first two years.

Crash this is what you miss dude. Yes, you can point to a game started by Tommy to make a point when a team "tied" us for a short time. But WHO GOES TWO SEASONS NOT LOSING A COMEBACK Crash? If THAT is the best you've got YOU MAKE MY POINT.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Its easy to turtle when you have Bettis... that was smart football.

Banned

User Info Menu

Crash this is what you miss dude. Yes, you can point to a game started by Tommy to make a point when a team "tied" us for a short time. But WHO GOES TWO SEASONS NOT LOSING A COMEBACK Crash? If THAT is the best you've got YOU MAKE MY POINT.
    No, you are making MY point for ME!

You don't watch games. You read box scores.

To "a" game? It's CONSTANT! Ben didn't have all those 4th quarter comebacks because of good defensive play around him.

Rookie

User Info Menu

No, you are making MY point for ME!

You don't watch games. You read box scores.

To "a" game? It's CONSTANT! Ben didn't have all those 4th quarter comebacks because of good defensive play around him.
    On the other hand, if the offense had actually scored in Qs 1, 2 & 3, they would not have required a comeback to win either...