Thread: The humna factor

Legend

User Info Menu

The humna factor

Sorry guys, the title was supposed to be "Human" factor, not humna

This is not to make an excuse for an awful performance, but something that I think is too often overlooked in sports. That is the fact that players are human too and go through certain emotions at different times that can affect their performance. I thought this same thing after the Steelers manhandled the Giants last season at a time when there was so much else going on in the lives of New Yorkers who were without electricity, and in some cases homes.

The "human factor" that I'm thinking about in this game is the season ending loss of Maurkice Pouncey on the eighth play of the season. Like him or not (I believe him to be the most overrated player on the team myself) his teammates obviously do like him, as evidenced by the fact that he was voted as a captain. This was his first time, so I think it shows a huge amount of respect from the rest of the players.

Again, this is not to excuse the poor performance, but as bad as this O might be, it should not be as bad as what they showed on Sunday. They began the game running 7 plays for 38 yards (5.4 y/p) and two first downs. After the injury they ran 46 plays for 157 yards (3.4 y/p) and 12 first downs. That includes a 9 play, 75 yard TD drive against a soft D. Take away that garbage time drive and the Steelers O went for a miserable 97 yards on 37 plays (2.6 y/p) and 7 first downs without Pouncey.

No matter how bad you think the Steelers offense will be, this would be historical lows, and they just are not THAT bad. This week the shock and sadness of Pouncey's season ending injury should have worn off. Let us hope that the O can get out of their own way a bit more this week and show us what they've got against a strong D with a formidable front. Geno Atkins is not the baptism that a new center needs...but gets anyways.
    Last edited by steeler_fan_in_t.o.; 09-11-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Sorry guys, the title was supposed to be "Human" factor, not humna

This is not to make an excuse for an awful performance, but something that I think is too often overlooked in sports. That is the fact that players are human too and go through certain emotions at different times that can affect their performance. I thought this same thing after the Steelers manhandled the Giants last season at a time when there was so much else going on in the lives of New Yorkers who were without electricity, and in some cases homes.

The "human factor" that I'm thinking about in this game is the season ending loss of Maurkice Pouncey on the eighth play of the season. Like him or not (I believe him to be the most overrated player on the team myself) his teammates obviously do like him, as evidenced by the fact that he was voted as a captain. This was his first time, so I think it shows a huge amount of respect from the rest of the players.

Again, this is not to excuse the poor performance, but as bad as this O might be, it should not be as bad as what they showed on Sunday. They began the game running 7 plays for 38 yards (5.4 y/p) and two first downs. After the injury they ran 46 plays for 157 yards (3.4 y/p) and 12 first downs. That includes a 9 play, 75 yard TD drive against a soft D. Take away that garbage time drive and the Steelers O went for a miserable 97 yards on 37 plays (2.6 y/p) and 7 first downs without Pouncey.

No matter how bad you think the Steelers offense will be, this would be historical lows, and they just are not THAT bad. This week the shock and sadness of Pouncey's season ending injury should have worn off. Let us hope that the O can get out of their own way a bit more this week and show us what they've got against a strong D with a formidable front. Geno Atkins is not the baptism that a new center needs...but gets anyways.
    Lets hope that is the case, however, lets also realize that on Monday night the Steelers will be playing Bengals who probably have the best defensive line in the NFL and we'll be starting Kelvin Beachum at center.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 09-11-2013 at 01:17 PM.

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Lets hope that is the case, however, lets also realize that on Monday night the Steelers will be playing Bengals who probably have the best defensive line in the NFL and we'll be starting Kelvin Beachum at center.

Pappy
    No doubt. I am not suggesting that this is an elite offense that took a day off. I am just wondering if part of the reason for their sudden shutdown is the shock of Pouncey's season ending so quickly...and thanks to their own teammate. This will be an uphill battle for the Oline regardless.