Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Blind Homer" Post Game Break Down

The "Blind Homer" Post Game Break Down

I needed a day to depress about the awful Steeler play on Sunday. I think I have recouped.

Even a "blind homer" like myself must concede a few facts.

THE BAD

1) This isn't a very good offense without Pouncey, Miller, and Bell, even WITH a healthy Ben.
    2) Ben is going to get broken this season, if Pouncey is out an extended period of time...maybe if he returns.
    3) We don't have any real healthy playmakers on this O besides Ben. Brown isn't a #1, Sanders isn't a #2. It's obvious this team needs a true #1 WR. I think Wheaton could be that guy. Why not play him?
    4) I seen Haley make adjustments to shorten Ben's throws. The problem? We don't have a burner to take the top off the D. They crowded the OL, blitzed at will and covered the seams and flats. Ben didn't have enough time to abuse the one on one coverages deep. Nor did the WRs get open to abuse the one on ones.

THE GOOD

With all of that said, I was fairly pleased with the D.
    1) Who said Jones is slow? The guy has superb fast twitch, extremely explosive. He is going to be special.
    2) Troy looked pretty good, and he didn't get injured.
    3) Woodley looked pretty good as well.
    4) McClendon was a beast...I watched him get push all day long forcing several quick throws. I also watched him chase a running back to the sidelines like he was a linebacker.
    5) Overall I think the D played well, but looked winded towards the end of the game...mainly because they were on the field most of the game.

OVERALL

There is no way to pretty this up. The Steelers essentially got zeroed out by one of the worst D's in the NFL. This O as/is might be in the bottom 5 of the NFL. The solution? Sign someone, make a trade...something to solidify this OL. We MUST get Wheaton playing time. Getting Bell and Miller back healthy will help much. I'm not ready to panic because I think much will be solved with additional Wheaton play, and Miller/Bell getting back healthy. But, I'll tell you...even a "blind homer" like myself was singin' the blues on Sunday. That was just embarassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I needed a day to depress about the awful Steeler play on Sunday. I think I have recouped.

Even a "blind homer" like myself must concede a few facts.

THE BAD

1) This isn't a very good offense without Pouncey, Miller, and Bell, even WITH a healthy Ben.
    2) Ben is going to get broken this season, if Pouncey is out an extended period of time...maybe if he returns.
    3) We don't have any real healthy playmakers on this O besides Ben. Brown isn't a #1, Sanders isn't a #2. It's obvious this team needs a true #1 WR. I think Wheaton could be that guy. Why not play him?
    4) I seen Haley make adjustments to shorten Ben's throws. The problem? We don't have a burner to take the top off the D. They crowded the OL, blitzed at will and covered the seams and flats. Ben didn't have enough time to abuse the one on one coverages deep. Nor did the WRs get open to abuse the one on ones.

THE GOOD

With all of that said, I was fairly pleased with the D.
    1) Who said Jones is slow? The guy has superb fast twitch, extremely explosive. He is going to be special.
    2) Troy looked pretty good, and he didn't get injured.
    3) Woodley looked pretty good as well.
    4) McClendon was a beast...I watched him get push all day long forcing several quick throws. I also watched him chase a running back to the sidelines like he was a linebacker.
    5) Overall I think the D played well, but looked winded towards the end of the game...mainly because they were on the field most of the game.

OVERALL

There is no way to pretty this up. The Steelers essentially got zeroed out by one of the worst D's in the NFL. This O as/is might be in the bottom 5 of the NFL. The solution? Sign someone, make a trade...something to solidify this OL. We MUST get Wheaton playing time. Getting Bell and Miller back healthy will help much. I'm not ready to panic because I think much will be solved with additional Wheaton play, and Miller/Bell getting back healthy. But, I'll tell you...even a "blind homer" like myself was singin' the blues on Sunday. That was just embarassing.
    All I can say is that this "homer" could have written your post. Spot on. Save for #4. I see no difference in the overall offensive effectiveness regardless of whether we have a true "burner" receiver. Sanders got deep, just needs to make the catch. This team has 6 rings not one with a Wallace type "burner" starting.

Fix the oline and have some kinda run threat and passing game will be fine.

Are we really hanging our hopes on Bell? A rookie 2nd round pick that has a foot injury and has only carried the ball 4 times in a preason game.

Yes.... so he looked good at training camp. Big freaking deal. Based on the offensive play, I don't believe a damn thing that the coaches or media say about a player that had a "solid" training camp. That doesn't mean a damn thing and considering our very own performance, I question the coaches ability to evaluate everything including player expecations.

... and just to add

Aren't we all glad we used the tag on Spaeth to be able to come back? I don't know if any of the players who got injured yesterday would heal in time to play again this season but I do know I would take any of them over Spaeth.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Are we really hanging our hopes on Bell? A rookie 2nd round pick that has a foot injury and has only carried the ball 4 times in a preason game.

Yes.... so he looked good at training camp. Big freaking deal. Based on the offensive play, I don't believe a damn thing that the coaches or media say about a player that had a "solid" training camp. That doesn't mean a damn thing and considering our very own performance, I question the coaches ability to evaluate everything including player expecations.
    If you actually read my post you would have answered your own question. No, we are not hanging ALL hope on Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    All I can say is that this "homer" could have written your post. Spot on. Save for #4. I see no difference in the overall offensive effectiveness regardless of whether we have a true "burner" receiver. Sanders got deep, just needs to make the catch. This team has 6 rings not one with a Wallace type "burner" starting.

Fix the oline and have some kinda run threat and passing game will be fine.
    Sanders got deep, just never got wide open. He scares no one. Keeping that safety out of the box, is indeed important. They crept the safety all game long. That can't be good...as we couldn't keep em honest.

Legend

Bingo... can we really trust this FO to evalute talent honestly? Hell, Ben said the O would be better because he had input, etc... same sh@t different year.

Talk is just that...talk.

Hall of Famer
    Sanders got deep, just never got wide open. He scares no one. Keeping that safety out of the box, is indeed important. They crept the safety all game long. That can't be good...as we couldn't keep em honest.
    So why not sign Dunn has the speed burner decoy?... run fly patterns all game long to drag the safety away.

Like Shawn said...nobody is pinning all of our hope on Bell. But the guy is our 2nd round pick and what...the 2nd or 3rd back chosen in the draft? He's easily the most talented back on our roster. The line is the problem and things certainly didn't get any better with Pouncey going down. Let's hope Velasco can fill his shoes adequately...if so, that's huge. WNot to just help plug that hole, but we may need Beachum to take over one of the tackle spots. Those guys continue to just suck.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

We have six rings and not a one with a Wallace type burner starting. Having Wallace did not get us one. VERY FEW TEAMS have that.
    Santonio kept teams honest, that's all we need.
    Dont forget the Miller factor too. Our tight ends dont scare ANYONE.
    If our oline could give Ben a little time THAT is all wee need to put fear in the passing game.