I needed a day to depress about the awful Steeler play on Sunday. I think I have recouped.
Even a "blind homer" like myself must concede a few facts.
1) This isn't a very good offense without Pouncey, Miller, and Bell, even WITH a healthy Ben.
2) Ben is going to get broken this season, if Pouncey is out an extended period of time...maybe if he returns.
3) We don't have any real healthy playmakers on this O besides Ben. Brown isn't a #1, Sanders isn't a #2. It's obvious this team needs a true #1 WR. I think Wheaton could be that guy. Why not play him?
4) I seen Haley make adjustments to shorten Ben's throws. The problem? We don't have a burner to take the top off the D. They crowded the OL, blitzed at will and covered the seams and flats. Ben didn't have enough time to abuse the one on one coverages deep. Nor did the WRs get open to abuse the one on ones.
With all of that said, I was fairly pleased with the D.
1) Who said Jones is slow? The guy has superb fast twitch, extremely explosive. He is going to be special.
2) Troy looked pretty good, and he didn't get injured.
3) Woodley looked pretty good as well.
4) McClendon was a beast...I watched him get push all day long forcing several quick throws. I also watched him chase a running back to the sidelines like he was a linebacker.
5) Overall I think the D played well, but looked winded towards the end of the game...mainly because they were on the field most of the game.
There is no way to pretty this up. The Steelers essentially got zeroed out by one of the worst D's in the NFL. This O as/is might be in the bottom 5 of the NFL. The solution? Sign someone, make a trade...something to solidify this OL. We MUST get Wheaton playing time. Getting Bell and Miller back healthy will help much. I'm not ready to panic because I think much will be solved with additional Wheaton play, and Miller/Bell getting back healthy. But, I'll tell you...even a "blind homer" like myself was singin' the blues on Sunday. That was just embarassing.