Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Former Titans C/G Fernando Velasco

Legend

User Info Menu

Dumb question - this guy is our new center? (In other words, not someone else, with this guy playing Guard)?

It's just bizarre that some guy watching the game on the couch yesterday could be making O-line calls next week for the Steelers.

Not saying it's not our *best* option, but ... still a crazy situation.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    bet he outperforms pouncey's last 2 years
    you're kidding yourself...

Legend

User Info Menu

What sort of blocking scheme did the Titans run last season? Zone?

Also, what does this say for Cody Wallace, if he is bypassed by a FA in the position he traditionally plays?

Not sure why Madsen from West Virginia isn't brought onto the PS in this situation- thought he might have something to offer.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

His credentials are much better than I would have expected.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Dumb question - this guy is our new center? (In other words, not someone else, with this guy playing Guard)?

It's just bizarre that some guy watching the game on the couch yesterday could be making O-line calls next week for the Steelers.

Not saying it's not our *best* option, but ... still a crazy situation.
    In this situation, I think the QB is expected to help out on line calls. Just not sure if Ben would be up to it.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I liked Velasco at Georgia...

Banned

User Info Menu

Doesn't matter. He can deal with the 8 man fronts and the predictable Art II offense as bad as Pouncey did.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

good signing, I hope he does well.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    you're kidding yourself...
    Velasco was rated as the 11th best center by Pro Football Focus last year. Pouncey was 16th. I've read where PFF has been down on Pouncey based on his performance the past two years and they have the data to back it up. I didn't take a good long look at all of his grades over the past two years (they chart every play), but I can say that we have not had a dominant push upfront by any means and our pass protection leaks like a sieve.

I'm not obviously not happy that this happened to Pouncey and I think he's a solid center. But I do think he's been overrated the past couple of years after really helping to solidify our line his rookie season. You gotta agree that we were fortunate to get a guy like Velasco and I don't think it's crazy to consider the possibility that he could eventually start playing at a higher level than Pouncey has over the past couple of years...once he's acclimated to the system and players.

Time will tell, but this seems like a very critical pick-up to me.Very Nice!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Velasco was rated as the 11th best center by Pro Football Focus last year. Pouncey was 16th. I've read where PFF has been down on Pouncey based on his performance the past two years and they have the data to back it up. I didn't take a good long look at all of his grades over the past two years (they chart every play), but I can say that we have not had a dominant push upfront by any means and our pass protection leaks like a sieve.

I'm not obviously not happy that this happened to Pouncey and I think he's a solid center. But I do think he's been overrated the past couple of years after really helping to solidify our line his rookie season. You gotta agree that we were fortunate to get a guy like Velasco and I don't think it's crazy to consider the possibility that he could eventually start playing at a higher level than Pouncey has over the past couple of years...once he's acclimated to the system and players.

Time will tell, but this seems like a very critical pick-up to me.Very Nice!
    Seems like the longer an OL stays in Pittsburgh the worse he gets. Must be something in the water.0