Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Standard is the Standard

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Starter

User Info Menu

The Standard is the Standard

...but someone should also realize that the Personnel is the Personnel. This loss is way more than just overcoming the turnover battle. This team was no where near ready for the start of the season. Five players are now out due to injury, 3 of which are out for the season. What now?

I have been a Tomlin supporter, but I am starting to wonder about his decision process throughout the last few offseasons. He says he treats his players like professionals. But if they are not performing like professionals, then what Mike?

FRUSTRATING!!!
    [URL]http://imgcash5.imageshack.us/img356/1595/smuj2.jpg[/URL]
    ~Props to AS, my sig Consigliere~

"Even the strongest man needs friends.... Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
    ~ Don Lucchesi to Vincent

Rookie

User Info Menu

I love how in the press conference he mentioned they needed to "work on some things" Excuse me, isn't that what the preseason is for? He may have the Rooney's fooled and 3/4 of Steeler nation but I haven't liked this hire since day one.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Does anyone expect the HC to specify what exactly they are going to work on in a post-game PC? Tomlin was obviously as ticked about the game as anyone. He's a very talented guy, but there is only so much you can do based on what you are dealt.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Tomlinisms only work when you are winning....

Legend

User Info Menu

I will say, discussion of "the standard" is wearing thin. Last year was full of sloppy and subpar play, and week 1 was more of the same. There is a talent issue, particularly on offense, but there also seems to be a coaching/preparation issue.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Standard is mediocrity. We need to face the reality that this is not a very talented team. Lots of guys who would be back ups on other teams are starters and the once great guys are starting to show their age.

Starter

User Info Menu

Kills me that they had all summer to prepare for this first game, and this is what they come out and do....AT HOME even! No sir. The Tomlinisms and BS needs to stop. Time for a "Come to Jesus" meeting and make players accountable. Coaches too.
    [URL]http://imgcash5.imageshack.us/img356/1595/smuj2.jpg[/URL]
    ~Props to AS, my sig Consigliere~

"Even the strongest man needs friends.... Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
    ~ Don Lucchesi to Vincent

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Mafia View Post
    Kills me that they had all summer to prepare for this first game, and this is what they come out and do....AT HOME even! No sir. The Tomlinisms and BS needs to stop. Time for a "Come to Jesus" meeting and make players accountable. Coaches too.
    The problem is that I thought that they already did that. Fans wanted to see players held accountable and Dwyer got canned after fumbling in the pre-season. They wanted to see investments on the OL and we spent 2 #1's and 2 #2's in the last few years. People complained that Arians O was going to get Ben killed, so they let him go and brought in a guy known for playing to players strengths as opposed to a rigid philosophy. People complained that there cancers in the locker room and called out Mendenhall and Wallace. Both are gone. They said we needed to get younger on D and the team did. I could go on, but the point is simply that the team isn't merely twiddling their thumbs while they implode. They are doing what I want from them as a fan- they are continuing to fight and try and find a way to get better. Losing three starters on opening day sucks, but you still have to play the rest of the season and make the most of it.

Starter

User Info Menu

Let's see if the Steelers will do what this fan wants them to do:

1. I want better choices made during the draft. Players that actually contribute and play well....now that many of Cowher's picks are gone or getting old.
    2. I want better (and more) decisions made concerning free agency. Who to let go and who to pay money for and who to actually go out and hire from the FA market. Yes....I said it. If you don't have enough quality players because your drafts have sucked...then you need to look at FA until you can figure out how to draft.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades View Post
    Let's see if the Steelers will do what this fan wants them to do:

1. I want better choices made during the draft. Players that actually contribute and play well....now that many of Cowher's picks are gone or getting old.
    2. I want better (and more) decisions made concerning free agency. Who to let go and who to pay money for and who to actually go out and hire from the FA market. Yes....I said it. If you don't have enough quality players because your drafts have sucked...then you need to look at FA until you can figure out how to draft.
    I want to actually see improvement instead of the opposite. I want the Steelers to stop signing or extending contracts to old or underperforming players. I want them to stop adding inferior players at the expense of better players.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.