Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Standard is the Standard

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    The problem is that I thought that they already did that. Fans wanted to see players held accountable and Dwyer got canned after fumbling in the pre-season. They wanted to see investments on the OL and we spent 2 #1's and 2 #2's in the last few years. People complained that Arians O was going to get Ben killed, so they let him go and brought in a guy known for playing to players strengths as opposed to a rigid philosophy. People complained that there cancers in the locker room and called out Mendenhall and Wallace. Both are gone. They said we needed to get younger on D and the team did. I could go on, but the point is simply that the team isn't merely twiddling their thumbs while they implode. They are doing what I want from them as a fan- they are continuing to fight and try and find a way to get better. Losing three starters on opening day sucks, but you still have to play the rest of the season and make the most of it.
    This is so on the money.
    I think the issue is that we have made mistakes in getting the "right" talent via the draft.
    This team has always built with the draft. But it only works when you draft well.

We have always avoided a lot of big splash free agent moves but when you miss in the draft you have to adjust.

It is hard to judge the coaching philosophy when the talent is weak.

Nevertheless, to the extent that Tomlin has responsibility for selecting the talent he does bear accountability.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

tomlin has definitely put his stamp on this team...............soft, undisciplined and underachieving

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    This is so on the money.
    I think the issue is that we have made mistakes in getting the "right" talent via the draft.
    This team has always built with the draft. But it only works when you draft well.

We have always avoided a lot of big splash free agent moves but when you miss in the draft you have to adjust.

It is hard to judge the coaching philosophy when the talent is weak.

Nevertheless, to the extent that Tomlin has responsibility for selecting the talent he does bear accountability.
    With respect to the OL drafts though, it seemed to me like the entire Steeler Nation went into a collective state of bliss as soon as Pouncey and DeCastro's names were called. Most here were skittish about Adams as a first rounder, but thought of him as a steal where we got him in the second.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    tomlin has definitely put his stamp on this team...............soft, undisciplined and underachieving
    While I agree with this post I wonder how much of the poor drafting is Tomlin's fault and how much is actually Kevin Colberts'? I seem to recall that Cowher had a lot more responsibility for his draft picks than Colbert. Since he left I wonder if Colbert isn't the primary genius in these "bad" drafts. The problem may be a combination of Tomlin's feel good 15 second sound byte method of coaching and Colbert's poor drafting ability. Throw in the Rooney's unwillingness to make changes and these guys probably think they are doing well and have unlimited job security.
    Last edited by Steeler Shades; 09-09-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I want to actually see improvement instead of the opposite. I want the Steelers to stop signing or extending contracts to old or underperforming players. I want them to stop adding inferior players at the expense of better players.
    Well look at us now that a majority of the 'old and underperforming ' players have left recently.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I've been a Tomlin supporter but I sort of take issue with "The standard is the standard" standard

The thing I don't like about "The standard is the standard" is that it implies a certain inflexibility in terms of making decisions. It also seems to absolve the coaching staff of any wrongdiong.

For example, when you send the kicker out to attempt a field goal, the standard is of course that he makes it. But when you are kicking from 50+ yards out there is a signficant chance he's going to miss. This isn'y unique to us. Every kicker's accuracy goes down that far out. By my count, Tomlin cost us two games last year by sending a guy out to take a long FG when he probably should have punted.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The problem is that I thought that they already did that. Fans wanted to see players held accountable and Dwyer got canned after fumbling in the pre-season. They wanted to see investments on the OL and we spent 2 #1's and 2 #2's in the last few years. People complained that Arians O was going to get Ben killed, so they let him go and brought in a guy known for playing to players strengths as opposed to a rigid philosophy. People complained that there cancers in the locker room and called out Mendenhall and Wallace. Both are gone. They said we needed to get younger on D and the team did. I could go on, but the point is simply that the team isn't merely twiddling their thumbs while they implode. They are doing what I want from them as a fan- they are continuing to fight and try and find a way to get better. Losing three starters on opening day sucks, but you still have to play the rest of the season and make the most of it.
    I have to agree with this post as on the money. We have seen more roster moves than usual in this and recent off-seasons. A couple seasons ago, the mantra was 'lets keep our players and win now before the window closes.' Well the window may be closed this season and we may be paying the piper for staying ultra-competitive in years past. We seem to have a short memory as fans. Ive been a fan for more than 40 years, through good, bad, and horrendous and Im certainly not going to turn against my team now that the chips are down.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dang good post, one of the best I've read in the last 27 hrs. Can't evaluate the skill of a chef when all his ingredients come out of a Costco can. Actually, with all the retreads we've had on the team the last few years, it's more like the ingredients came out of the garbage dumpster behind the restaurant next door, ouch.

We got a new center (I'm trying not to think about the fact he's a cast-off from the Titans, of all teams, can irony cause physical pain doc?), a new/old RB (Dwyer, Dwyer, don't retire, let's rehire!). I don't know enough about LB depth, but I'm guessing we'll survive Pottsie's loss OK. Heath coming back soon, hopefully Labia "UCan Ring My" Bell too, and presto, we have a fighting chance to make the playoffs still, IMO.

So now I'm really worried about W. Gay being our starting CB. Seems like misery has dogged our every step whenever his number has been called to do more than being the extra defender on the field.

And Sweezy out a few weeks ... he'd just turned into a pretty good kicker over the last season, it's like he grew frog legs two summers ago. Now what? If it's his kicking leg, he might never heal fully till the next off-season. Maybe there's a silver lining, if we play knowing we don't have a field goal kicker, maybe we'll look better in the red zone. I think Winston Churchill once said, "Nothing concentrates the mind more than knowing one is being shot at", or maybe that was Tupac Shakur, I can't remember.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!