Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another season, another O-line discussion.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

another season, another O-line discussion.

First before I start ranting, I'm not necessarily blaming Tomlin or the Front office. clearly for the last several drafts they have trying to get top tier linemen into the huddle. I also agree that this group is extremely young, I understand they're learning and developing a new zone blocking scheme and that it takes time and experience to mature into a veteran o-lineman. So with saying all that, the truth of the matter is that unless those 5 guys gel pretty quickly - we'll be lucky to win 6 games. I probably sound like a broken record because this is not the first season I've said this - but our weakness in the 5 guys up front continues to be (in my opinion) the main reason why this team loses games. True, there are times when games are lost for various other reasons - but over the last several years (and specifically with the Tomlin era) I'd say weak O-line play has been a factor far more than any other. when you struggle to gain yards rushing. When you struggle to protect your QB. When you can't sustain drives to either score at best or flip field position at worst - all this combines to put undue pressure on the defense. Now to those who say the defense is equally responsible I would argue in today's NFL that's no longer the case. This is a league that wants scoring and protects offensive players at the expense of the defense. With all the restrictions placed on that side of the ball it's simply not realistic anymore to think ANY 11 defensive players can withstand the onslaught for lengths of time. That's why it's critical for an O-line to take control of the game so that we control the clock, control the field position and dominate time of possession. A decade ago there were one or two QB's in the league where the strategy was always to keep them off the field. Now with the preference to the offense that strategy is required for EVERY game. That has to be the #1 goal in today's NFL and without a great O-line you simply have no chance. Teams talk about impact players. We need our 5 guys up front to be an impact UNIT. Can it happen with this group? Will it happen with this group? I actually believe it will. I like DD. I like Adams. Pouncey is solid and we have youth. So we DO need to give it time and let this unit find it's stride. But until they do, get used to more games like this. And if they don't, I'd say patience is running out in the front office.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

that's fine star lifter, but I remember reading many posts with fans saying they didn't want to draft an offensive lineman in the first two rounds. I, personally, do not understand the thinking, as you are going to have to pay 1st rounders no matter where they play. Im not second guessing the draft as I think Jarvis Jones is special, (and by the way I was vehemently against Jones as a pick, glad I was wrong). I would draft lineman every draft first round if it was up to me. Unless there's a special player at one of the skilled positions. How does San Fran start all 5 players all year long? Coaching? It must be a directive by the FO to improve line play. I cannot question the Steelers attempts to do this, just their effectiveness and hopefully coaching is now changed with Bicknell. the first game gave me no confidence tho.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    that's fine star lifter, but I remember reading many posts with fans saying they didn't want to draft an offensive lineman in the first two rounds. I, personally, do not understand the thinking, as you are going to have to pay 1st rounders no matter where they play. Im not second guessing the draft as I think Jarvis Jones is special, (and by the way I was vehemently against Jones as a pick, glad I was wrong). I would draft lineman every draft first round if it was up to me. Unless there's a special player at one of the skilled positions. How does San Fran start all 5 players all year long? Coaching? It must be a directive by the FO to improve line play. I cannot question the Steelers attempts to do this, just their effectiveness and hopefully coaching is now changed with Bicknell. the first game gave me no confidence tho.
    That is the $$ question ... are we doing something wrong, training/conditioning, etc. ... or is it just bad luck (bordering on a curse)?

Either way, I think our O-line discussion is over for the year - it's "stick-a-fork" time, just one game in.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    That is the $$ question ... are we doing something wrong, training/conditioning, etc. ... or is it just bad luck (bordering on a curse)?

Either way, I think our O-line discussion is over for the year - it's "stick-a-fork" time, just one game in.
    Well, for one thing, when I watch the 49ers offensive line play, their right guard doesn't pull, take two or three steps and then target their center with a chop block from behind and they also don't have a RT that falls onto their 1st round Rg (who by the way is the person that targeted the Pro-Bowl center with the chop block).

I watched the replay of Pouncey getting hurt and if I didn't know better I would say that DeCastro went out of his way to chop block Pouncey.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

way too hard to read

sorry

Legend

User Info Menu

The main issues with the Olines in 2011 and 2012 were injuries. They probably had more starting combinations then any other team in the league over the past two seasons. Will that trend continue this season? Pouncey is gone for the season. Stay tuned.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    The main issues with the Olines in 2011 and 2012 were injuries. They probably had more starting combinations then any other team in the league over the past two seasons. Will that trend continue this season? Pouncey is gone for the season. Stay tuned.
    That's right... all the more reason to blame the staff behind the off season personnel moves. We knew going in that we would need solid depth. Now its time to pay the piper. Bring on Guy Whimper!!! lol.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    That's right... all the more reason to blame the staff behind the off season personnel moves. We knew going in that we would need solid depth. Now its time to pay the piper. Bring on Guy Whimper!!! lol.
    I am pretty sure the Packers didn't want to start a rookie at LT. I don't believe there were many quality players available. There is a shortage of really good players at every position in the NFL. Some teams are fortunate to have depth at certain positions. Due to free agency, good players won't be solid depth for very long. Those good players want to get paid.

How much money should a team be willing to allocate towards depth? How much money can a team allocate towards depth? How good a player can a team get as a FA and not expect that FA to be a starter? It's so easy for fans to sit here and criticize. I believe the Steelers did the best the could with what they had. After all, it's their jobs on the line.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I am pretty sure the Packers didn't want to start a rookie at LT. I don't believe there were many quality players available. There is a shortage of really good players at every position in the NFL. Some teams are fortunate to have depth at certain positions. Due to free agency, good players won't be solid depth for very long. Those good players want to get paid.

How much money should a team be willing to allocate towards depth? How much money can a team allocate towards depth? How good a player can a team get as a FA and not expect that FA to be a starter? It's so easy for fans to sit here and criticize. I believe the Steelers did the best the could with what they had. After all, it's their jobs on the line.
    I disagree. Keep Starks and Legursky and you have two quality players for no more than what you spent on the likes of Whimper...etc, etc..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I disagree. Keep Starks and Legursky and you have two quality players for no more than what you spent on the likes of Whimper...etc, etc..
    Guy Whimper signed for 555,555.

Starks signed with Chargers for 2 million in May. Starks was beaten badly in the preseason. As a result, he is no longer with the Chargers. Legursky wasn't a very good player for the Steelers. He was an "ok" player that signed a 2 million two year deal with the Bills.

My point is that the quality players that you mentioned were not really quality players. They were more like stop gaps until a better rookie or another stop gap comes a long. If teams want to get a quality player as a FA they are going to have to spend money. The Steelers didn't have a lot of money to spend on free agents in the off season.