Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: another season, another O-line discussion.

Legend

User Info Menu

The problem is coaching... we lose more players on the OL because we refuse to adjust our play calling/blocking philosophy to play to our strengths.

We also have a knack for picking horrible skill position players
    I have no idea if Bell will be better than Lacy but damn near everyone on here(except Shawn) and on NFLN and ESPN was all about Lacy... and who do we pick? Bell....

I have no idea what Colbert is seeing but IMO he has been pretty bad lately. It may be time to move on because we are missing on DL, OL and utility picks.

...and when we develop a player we refuse to pay them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I disagree. Keep Starks and Legursky and you have two quality players for no more than what you spent on the likes of Whimper...etc, etc..
    That's the biggest beef i have with this current Steeler regime. Decisionmaking has been very mediocre for about 4 yrs. How any GM can think a Whimper was better value than a Starks is just dumbfounding. Whimper has proven he is ineffective as a lineman. Meanwhile, Starks has done nothing but the opposite. Not drafting a TE when they knew it was a weak link. RBs that can't stay motivated, healthy, or out of trouble.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Guy Whimper signed for 555,555.

Starks signed with Chargers for 2 million in May. Starks was beaten badly in the preseason. As a result, he is no longer with the Chargers. Legursky wasn't a very good player for the Steelers. He was an "ok" player that signed a 2 million two year deal with the Bills.

My point is that the quality players that you mentioned were not really quality players. They were more like stop gaps until a better rookie or another stop gap comes a long. If teams want to get a quality player as a FA they are going to have to spend money. The Steelers didn't have a lot of money to spend on free agents in the off season.

In the grand scheme of things...it is the same money...

and you act like $2 mill is big money? Let's not let Stark's subpar preseason take away from what he was able to do the past few years for the steelers...
    and an "OK" legursky would obviously be "Ok" with me at this point...lol.

and why do the steelers not have money to spend on a quality free agent??? Anybody?? Anybody?? lol.. Might ask IKE or Troy
    Last edited by Ernie; 09-08-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

and show me the "Better rookie" as you put it...that has effectively replaced Starks...

CANT DO IT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Guy Whimper signed for 555,555.

Starks signed with Chargers for 2 million in May. Starks was beaten badly in the preseason. As a result, he is no longer with the Chargers. Legursky wasn't a very good player for the Steelers. He was an "ok" player that signed a 2 million two year deal with the Bills.

My point is that the quality players that you mentioned were not really quality players. They were more like stop gaps until a better rookie or another stop gap comes a long. If teams want to get a quality player as a FA they are going to have to spend money. The Steelers didn't have a lot of money to spend on free agents in the off season.

But it's OK that Woodley takes half a season to get in game shape and start making plays? Preseason is mostly about young players proving they belong. The vets do their proving during the season. Based on last season, Starks should still be a Steeler.

Legend

User Info Menu

big problem is we have a pile of money tied up in a few old players... after today it is clear that we are clearly in a rebuilding mode. Time to cut loose some of the old money...

maybe start building for one last run..right before ben hangs up his spikes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    But it's OK that Woodley takes half a season to get in game shape and start making plays? Preseason is mostly about young players proving they belong. The vets do their proving during the season. Based on last season, Starks should still be a Steeler.
    What does Woodley have to do with this?

It was stated stated that the coaches didn't believe that Starks would fit in with the current Oline blocking scheme. They didn't think Starks had the athleticism necessary to execute the new Oline blocking scheme. Even if the Steelers wanted to sign Starks as a back up, he probably didn't want to come back as a back up. The Steelers wanted to give the young guys a chance to start.

What happened last season doesn't matter now. Starks was cut based on the way he performed this preseason.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 09-08-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

If we are cutting guys based on performance tell me which starting offensive lineman we need to let go first? Lol.

Starks wasn't cut from the steelers based on performance...that's for sure. The powers that be maybe thought he wasn't fit for the "New Scheme"...

you've got some work to do if you are going to make the case that anybody else on that OLINE is gettin it done now though...
    Last edited by Ernie; 09-08-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    That is the $$ question ... are we doing something wrong, training/conditioning, etc. ... or is it just bad luck (bordering on a curse)?

Either way, I think our O-line discussion is over for the year - it's "stick-a-fork" time, just one game in.
    Well, for one thing, when I watch the 49ers offensive line play, their right guard doesn't pull, take two or three steps and then target their center with a chop block from behind and they also don't have a RT that falls onto their 1st round Rg (who by the way is the person that targeted the Pro-Bowl center with the chop block).

I watched the replay of Pouncey getting hurt and if I didn't know better I would say that DeCastro went out of his way to chop block Pouncey.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount