Time to Blow off Steam...and the real silver lining
I bit my tongue last year. I read fans posts all year last year, I kept wanting to give Mike T slack. I wanted to think his decisions, game time management, half time adjustments, and DISCIPLINE were all just a fluke that came together in one poor season last year.
However, this is a new year and here is the fair criticism.
- Your most effective runner didn't play for anyone this sunday. I KNOW dwyer would of performed better than a guy who took 3-4 snaps the last 5 weeks. Plus, why did you waste that practice w/ a guy you were cutting? Obviously our runners needed more practice.
- Wheaton return? The pause, then run to what the 7 or 8 yd line?
- coaching the WR to get up screaming when touched! I've sat there for a decade watching all of Tommy Gaydy, Manning, and Rogers receivers jump up screaming at PHANTOM touches or bumps. Sanders was clearly touched and bumped on 2 deep balls- get up and call out those blown calls! Cause commotion so that NEXT time a ref thinks twice about pullin the flag out of the super glue in his pocket. WHAT THE HELL IS HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE for!
- Using last timeout for 2 secs, when your passing and an incomplete pass stops time any ways? At that point better to use 2 minute automatic stop.
- Paulson can catch but can't block (no one could), then why use him all day w/ no passes thrown his way?
- sanders isn't known for separation but has the 2 long balls - I thought you drafted wheaton because he possessed that "extra gear" He should of ran those routes.
- Ben is either losing it or just not game time aware(still?), the taking of sacks at end of game w/ 3rd and whatever. You HAVE to risk it - anything but a sack. Or how many times w/ 3rd and something on opponents 25-30 and the sack takes them out of fg range. It just happens too much.
And in all this misery, there is a REAL silver lining, foote is gone, Gone, GONE. No more foote, someone will be FORCED to know defensive assignments and hopefully its not a slow 5'10" 220 lb linebacker. Now, I appreciate Foote's enthusiasm but he was a special teamer quality player- simple as that. Now, before people start bringing up stat after stat, alot of players could and have had good numbers behind the d front we have had over the past decade. But if you really waatch game after game, foote always gets the tackles 4-7 yds downfield. He is dragged and pulled by RB's and crossing WR's. There just simply isn't enough beef on him and he isn't super speedy to make up for it. Rarely does he "move" somebody back unless there is a pile w/ him. We need a speedy, muscle, sized ILB. Where are you levon Kirkland? Kidding aside, we got rid of the wrong LB, should of been Harrison replacing Foote. I said before last season, we should of moved harrison inside.
Note - wallace had one catch for 15 yds. At this rate 1/2 mil a catch
Hall of Famer
No trash talk from me, Foote couldn't start for no other team in the league.
Originally Posted by lord_of_six_rings
No hate on foote just that he isn't starter material and this IS a blessing in disguise. Now we won't hear foote is so smart ....he knows all the calls...blah blah Well part of the reason he is the only one, is because HE IS THE ONLY ONE PLAYING (starting)- MIKE T.
Let's find the next great middle LB! give someone a chance to shine
I wish i could "like" posts here.
Originally Posted by lord_of_six_rings
Is there any chance Spence will be back this year? What vet do we have that can fill in since LeBeau doesn't play rookies? Does Worilds move inside and Jarvis start?
Was Kion Wilson the one who filled in for Foote when he went down? I dont even remember seeing the injury happen. But I thought I saw Wilson in at LB in the 4th.
I thought the D did pretty well even with the injuries. 229 yds was even below what they gave up last year when they led the league. The Titans longest drive was 49 yards, I think. They always seemed to start with good field position and we held them to field goals (other than the last drive of the half when we couldnt stop the run). McLendon seemed to be in the backfield quite a bit too.
There is basically no chance Spence returns this year...physically and contractually. I think Kion Wilson steps up, and I don't think Woirlds moves inside. We may see Garvin and Baxter get more looks at ILB. JJ will eventually replace Woirlds who will be a great 2nd imo.
Originally Posted by winwithd
Smh at the Foote hate... he was the least of our worries today. Some of you are no different than the coaching we bitch and moan about. Focusing on Foote is like focusing on Dwyer in the preseason.... a waste of time.
Our D did everything they could to keep us in the game and our O did everything to keep us out of it.
careful what you wish for.
you just might get it with kion wilson.
Yes he was a worry on the 4th down run- clear shot and whiff. Stopping them on 4th changes game, second only to redmon fumble.
Focusing on Foote is like focusing on Dwyer in the preseason.... a waste of time. EXACTLY, giving carries / time to (focus) to guy you were not gonna keep was a waste of time. Game time practice / preseason is limited, so why did coach T waste it?
For the record, last year I wanted McCLendon w/ hampton subbing based on the #90's awesome preseason. After today, (if McClendon plays like he did today) last year was a poor evaluation of starting hampton over mcClendon. The few stars of the game was McClendon. He was hitting / hurried the QB on 3 occasions and was consistently penetrating. Plus, his lateral movement on titans stretch plays was good / consistent. HAmpton had that one QB pressure usually after he was called for a penalty or chop blocked. Then, he seemed to be a force for the next play or two. That was it from hampton.
Again poor evaluation of talent if McClendon plays anywhere near what he did today.
I think someone w/ 4-8 games will be at or better than Foote. It doesn't take much in my opinion.
Before I erased this debacle, just revisited hurry up / 2 minute offense. Don't know if its fair to blame ben because the pressure was all over him, but its the slowest hurry up I've seen in awhile. They are rushing to the line, call the play, barks out the snap count and the play goes off w/ 3,4,5 seconds till end of play clock.
Part of the reason for hurry up is to save time and get as many plays possible when you are behind, poor execution