Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone see what caused DD to chop block Pouncey?

Legend

User Info Menu

The only thing I can think of is that DD expected Pouncey to release the defender and either continue going left or go up the field and try to get a LB. I heard a few postgame comments from DD, but no real explanation.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's called "zone blocking" for a reason. DeCastro went to a zone and threw a block. Not his fault that Pouncey was there instead of the defender.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It's called "zone blocking" for a reason. DeCastro went to a zone and threw a block. Not his fault that Pouncey was there instead of the defender.
    OK, so I never played football at a level where there is zone blocking involved.

But I can't see how a player throwing his body at a point in space, even if there is no defender there, would be considered proper execution of a zone blocking system or any blocking system for that matter.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    OK, so I never played football at a level where there is zone blocking involved.

But I can't see how a player throwing his body at a point in space, even if there is no defender there, would be considered proper execution of a zone blocking system or any blocking system for that matter.
    It wasn't proper execution...but I believe he was trying to carry out his zone blocking assignment. Unlike the OP, I can fault DD for poor execution on the play.

Legend

User Info Menu

It looked like DD went after Pouncey like he slept with his wife or something. I don't ever recall a player diving at a teammates legs the way DD dived at Pouncey's legs.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That was as lame as Sanchez' butt fumble last year. It's like he was trying to dive down an imaginary gopher hole.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post

OK, I guess I needed to insert <sarcasm on> in my post....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    It looked like DD went after Pouncey like he slept with his wife or something. I don't ever recall a player diving at a teammates legs the way DD dived at Pouncey's legs.
    sorry burgh, I just don't see the intent. A HORRIBLE mistake I agree, just don't see the reasoning.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It looks like DD didn't hit Pouncey's legs UNTIL he was already on the ground and rolled up on Pouncey.

One of the weirdest plays I have ever seen.

Legend

User Info Menu

But Pouncey went down eight plays into the drive when right guard David DeCastro, pulling from his left to deliver a cut block, drove into the back of the center's legs rather than those of nose tackle Sammie Hill.

“It's terrible,” DeCastro said. “You're trying to cut the nose down, run outside, chop him down.”

He got the wrong man, and, on the sidelines, defensive end and co-captain Brett Keisel was furious. He is one of NFL's main lobbyists against the cut block, and he's even more opposed now that Pouncey's season is over because of what Keisel termed friendly fire.

“When you have a play like that and the backside guard is cutting, it's ridiculous,” Keisel said. “Guys are big enough and strong enough to block. ... I know it's legal, technically, but it's been proven that guys are getting their knees blown out. The league has got to do something.”

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz2eMCQdGV2[/URL]