Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone see what caused DD to chop block Pouncey?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    But Pouncey went down eight plays into the drive when right guard David DeCastro, pulling from his left to deliver a cut block, drove into the back of the center's legs rather than those of nose tackle Sammie Hill.

“It's terrible,” DeCastro said. “You're trying to cut the nose down, run outside, chop him down.”

He got the wrong man, and, on the sidelines, defensive end and co-captain Brett Keisel was furious. He is one of NFL's main lobbyists against the cut block, and he's even more opposed now that Pouncey's season is over because of what Keisel termed friendly fire.

“When you have a play like that and the backside guard is cutting, it's ridiculous,” Keisel said. “Guys are big enough and strong enough to block. ... I know it's legal, technically, but it's been proven that guys are getting their knees blown out. The league has got to do something.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz2eMCQdGV2
    Q1) Do linemen fill seats?

Q2) Does the NFL have rules like Diesel wants to protect linemen's knees?

Sorry, Diesel, you are not valued by Mr. Goodell and crew.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer
    So Pouncey's injury really is Mike Tomlin's fault after all. Shame on him for teach his OL to cut block rather than blocking down like real linemen. Changing the scheme put his whole offense in jeopardy now. Another poor decision by Tomlin.

But Pouncey went down eight plays into the drive when right guard David DeCastro, pulling from his left to deliver a cut block, drove into the back of the center's legs rather than those of nose tackle Sammie Hill.

“It's terrible,” DeCastro said. “You're trying to cut the nose down, run outside, chop him down.”

He got the wrong man, and, on the sidelines, defensive end and co-captain Brett Keisel was furious. He is one of NFL's main lobbyists against the cut block, and he's even more opposed now that Pouncey's season is over because of what Keisel termed friendly fire.

“When you have a play like that and the backside guard is cutting, it's ridiculous,” Keisel said. “Guys are big enough and strong enough to block. ... I know it's legal, technically, but it's been proven that guys are getting their knees blown out. The league has got to do something.”

but the nfl moved the kickoff forward, isn't that enough. lmao. Keisel has a strong point, unless it derails the scoring opportunities in the view of the nfl. They'll turn a blind eye to the defensive players safety but feel free to chop block all you want offensive lineman.. damn decastro wtf!!!

“When you have a play like that and the backside guard is cutting, it's ridiculous,” Keisel said. “Guys are big enough and strong enough to block. ... I know it's legal, technically, but it's been proven that guys are getting their knees blown out. The league has got to do something.”

I'm with Keisel all the way. There is no room for that type of play in football...it lacks all honor. It's not necessarily the cut-blocking as much as it is the obvious intent to go right at the knees. You can cut without doing that.

I wonder if you can get fined by the league for that type of hit against your own teammate? Only a semi-serious question, but you know he'd be a lot lighter in the wallet, if that block and that result were on an opponent.

It's hard to know what happened, but unless he absolutely didn't see Pouncey and was aiming for a space in front of the defender, it's hard to see this as anything less than reckless.
    Last edited by Flasteel; 09-08-2013 at 11:58 PM.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

The way I saw it.....

DD went to chop block the guy that Pouncey was blocking.... He missed and hit Pouncey.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    There is no room for that type of play in football...it lacks all honor.
    I agree. Never liked that kind of "blocking"...

Gonna be a long year....

Backup
    To me, and its hard to say this...but it looks like DD did it on purpose...but why??

Pouncey is wearing BRIGHT YELLOW PANTS, and the closest Dlinemen is wearing BLUE PANTS.

DD is looking at Pouncey the whole way, and goes straight into his knee!!!

This is mindboggling to me!! If DD didnt do it on purpose, this is as bad of an accident that I
    have ever seen a teammate injury another teammate...except for Gilbert getting DD last season..etc.

How does DD explain this...??? Did DD close his eyes while running, and WTF was he doing going so low
    at that point...the dlinemen was engaged with Pouncey, and it would have been a chop-block...

Steelers headed for top 5 draft status...competing with the Jags/Jets/Raiders for the worst record, and top pick!!

JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JDSteeler View Post
    To me, and its hard to say this...but it looks like DD did it on purpose...but why??

Pouncey is wearing BRIGHT YELLOW PANTS, and the closest Dlinemen is wearing BLUE PANTS.

DD is looking at Pouncey the whole way, and goes straight into his knee!!!

This is mindboggling to me!! If DD didnt do it on purpose, this is as bad of an accident that I
    have ever seen a teammate injury another teammate...except for Gilbert getting DD last season..etc.

How does DD explain this...??? Did DD close his eyes while running, and WTF was he doing going so low
    at that point...the dlinemen was engaged with Pouncey, and it would have been a chop-block...

Steelers headed for top 5 draft status...competing with the Jags/Jets/Raiders for the worst record, and top pick!!

JD
    I'm sorry guys but if DD would have hit the NT like he hit Pouncey it would not have been an illegal block and he would not have gotten fined. These are the types of blocks that Casey Hampton used to complain about and they are perfectly legal. Goodell doesn't give a damn if an offensive lineman ends someones career throwing a block like that. These are the types of blocks that made Mike Shannahan's famous run game go. Defensive linemen are so worried about trying to protect themselves they can't make a tackle. It stinks but many in the league have been doing this for years and many of us have asked why the Steelers haven't been.

I guess now we know ... our linemen are too stupid to block the opposing team.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I'm sorry guys but if DD would have hit the NT like he hit Pouncey it would not have been an illegal block and he would not have gotten fined. These are the types of blocks that Casey Hampton used to complain about and they are perfectly legal. Goodell doesn't give a damn if an offensive lineman ends someones career throwing a block like that. These are the types of blocks that made Mike Shannahan's famous run game go. Defensive linemen are so worried about trying to protect themselves they can't make a tackle. It stinks but many in the league have been doing this for years and many of us have asked why the Steelers haven't been.

I guess now we know ... our linemen are too stupid to block the opposing team.
    The Ravens - Yanda in particular, use exactly this type of block. From what I recall, the guard can chop the NT even if he is engaged with the center, but the OT can't.

I don't care for the blocks, either, but they are legal.