Thread: Time Out at 2:02?

Legend

User Info Menu

Time Out at 2:02?

They asked Tomlin in the post game presser about that, WHY that timout would be called at that time (the last one we had), and I swear to goodness his answer included the phrase , "We were comfortable with the call" (just about a direct quote), he might have also said something about situational football or something, I can't be sure because my ears glazed over.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The call made ZERO sense.... Pathetic coaching if u ask me on that decision

Starter

User Info Menu

I thought they had used all their TOs on defense. I never could figure out why the clock said 2:02 when they came back from commercial.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    They asked Tomlin in the post game presser about that, WHY that timout would be called at that time (the last one we had), and I swear to goodness his answer included the phrase , "We were comfortable with the call" (just about a direct quote), he might have also said something about situational football or something, I can't be sure because my ears glazed over.

Sorry to say, but I've come to the conclusion that this man has zero game IQ. The team has consistently been unplanned, unfocused, has not heard of half time adjustments, and, I swear, after Cowher left I cringe every time the red challenge flag comes out.
    I put it all to inexperience, but this man isn't learning.

This time out put paid to all fancies about inexperience. He just doesn't have it.

Legend

User Info Menu

By taking the time out before the 2 min warning, that gives them the most flexibility in the play call. They are a threat to run or pass in that situation because the clock is guaranteed to stop immediately after the play. Plus you get an extra play inside that 2 second window which just gives you more time at the end of the game should you score.

Later you can spike the ball to stop the clock on a 1st down if you need to, but in this particular situation, you need the downs because you are in the redzone already and need to score.

I don't have any problem with this timeout. Calling it before the 2 minute warning almost guarantees an extra play for you.

Legend

User Info Menu

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    By taking the time out before the 2 min warning, that gives them the most flexibility in the play call. They are a threat to run or pass in that situation because the clock is guaranteed to stop immediately after the play. Plus you get an extra play inside that 2 second window which just gives you more time at the end of the game should you score.

Later you can spike the ball to stop the clock on a 1st down if you need to, but in this particular situation, you need the downs because you are in the redzone already and need to score.

I don't have any problem with this timeout. Calling it before the 2 minute warning almost guarantees an extra play for you.
    I definitely see the merits of your well-explained defense of the call.

I am really sad that Tomlin couldn't express anything close to that in the presser. In my mind at least it raises the possibility he just went with the recommendation of a trusted guy upstairs without even knowing whether it was a good call or not. For all his ability to communicate in pressers, I'd think it wouldn't have been hard for him to give at least some explanation of the thinking behind the call when specifically asked about it - if he actually understood the reasoning.

Maybe he was just too mad to actually be able to talk straight, I can see that possibility as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    I definitely see the merits of your well-explained defense of the call.

I am really sad that Tomlin couldn't express anything close to that in the presser. In my mind at least it raises the possibility he just went with the recommendation of a trusted guy upstairs without even knowing whether it was a good call or not. For all his ability to communicate in pressers, I'd think it wouldn't have been hard for him to give at least some explanation of the thinking behind the call when specifically asked about it - if he actually understood the reasoning.

Maybe he was just too mad to actually be able to talk straight, I can see that possibility as well.
    Given Tomlin's history of time management, Im sure he didn't really think it thru

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Given Tomlin's history of time management, Im sure he didn't really think it thru

I'm gonna have to go with flip on this one. Tomlin's has already talked about 'gut calls' that he sometimes makes in a game. OK, but if the gut is wrong more than right, gotta become a better student of the game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin's full response.

We report ... you decide!

Should there have been a timeout called there? The huddle clock looked like it was down next to nothing.
    No, we were close there. We felt comfortable with what we were looking at. Obviously, in hindsight, we would look a taking one there based on the result of the play. But, again based on the discussions that we had with an understanding of what was going on, we felt comfortable. Obviously, we didn’t get the play executed.