Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listening to the Broncos/Ravens commentary

Legend

User Info Menu

Listening to the Broncos/Ravens commentary

I find it hillarious how Collinsworth will get onto a point and then follow it through whether it holds up or not. Last night after Jacoby Jones went down he was harping on the Ravens lack of receivers. One play in the 2nd Q, Flacco drops back, fakes the handoff and bootlegs left. He has no pressure near him and spots a wide open receiver (TE) running across about 10-15 yards downfield. Flacco throws and misses the easy receiver, who dove to just come close to the errant throw. Collinsworth comes back with something like: You can really now see the lack of depth in the receiving corps for Baltimore...Really?? QB misses easy throw and the problem was their lack of receiving? Just suck it up and tell the audience that the new highest paid player in the NFL just absolutely missed the easiest throw that he will have all season.

Funny enough, on the next play it was 3rd and 12 and Flacco throws short to Clark in the flat. The defender, a DLineman (Ayers) goes for the glorious pick instead of letting the receiver catch the ball and then an easy tackle for about a three yard gain, which would have forced them to punt from deep in their own territory. And this was before the game was out of reach. Clark ended up going for 30+ yards. I don't know how neither announcer said anything like "What a horrible play by Ayers. You can't gamble and lose in that situation. He cost his team the ball in great field position by messing up his assignment and giving them a 30 yard gift."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I heard that too...tend to judge announcers by their slant toward the Steelers and Collinsworth is a registered Steeler hater. So, yes, I agree he sucks! One guy I like is Gruden, he usually doesn't have any predisposition showing in his commentary.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Given that there are a lot of fans of the Broncos and Ravens watching the game, I'm not sure they want to hear how bad their QB sucks all night. Telling the truth might hurt the ratings. These guys are trying to sell the NFL, so they have to be overly positive. Although, like you, I secretly wish they'd just tell it like it is more often.

I'm glad the Ravens spent so much on Flacco. He's just another QB that's terrible under pressure. Hopefully we can bring the pressure when we play them.

Legend

User Info Menu

WR might be the least important position on the field if you have a Pro Bowl QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    WR might be the least important position on the field if you have a Pro Bowl QB.
    So true. That is why teams who overpay are stupid.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    I heard that too...tend to judge announcers by their slant toward the Steelers and Collinsworth is a registered Steeler hater. So, yes, I agree he sucks! One guy I like is Gruden, he usually doesn't have any predisposition showing in his commentary.
    Funny I've found in recent seasons Collinsworth seems to be strangely pro Steeler, very different than he used to be in the past. Almost like he is going out of his way to overcompensate for past biases.

I like Gruden too but to say he has no predisposition is not true. Dude loves the Steelers. I think our traditional style appeals to him and Tomlin is his boy from back in the day with the Bucs.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I find it hillarious how Collinsworth will get onto a point and then follow it through whether it holds up or not. Last night after Jacoby Jones went down he was harping on the Ravens lack of receivers. One play in the 2nd Q, Flacco drops back, fakes the handoff and bootlegs left. He has no pressure near him and spots a wide open receiver (TE) running across about 10-15 yards downfield. Flacco throws and misses the easy receiver, who dove to just come close to the errant throw. Collinsworth comes back with something like: You can really now see the lack of depth in the receiving corps for Baltimore...Really?? QB misses easy throw and the problem was their lack of receiving? Just suck it up and tell the audience that the new highest paid player in the NFL just absolutely missed the easiest throw that he will have all season.
    Well, he was right about the Ravens depth of receiving options. Sure Flacco made some crappy throws, but their receiving core is indeed bad.

Funny enough, on the next play it was 3rd and 12 and Flacco throws short to Clark in the flat. The defender, a DLineman (Ayers) goes for the glorious pick instead of letting the receiver catch the ball and then an easy tackle for about a three yard gain, which would have forced them to punt from deep in their own territory. And this was before the game was out of reach. Clark ended up going for 30+ yards. I don't know how neither announcer said anything like "What a horrible play by Ayers. You can't gamble and lose in that situation. He cost his team the ball in great field position by messing up his assignment and giving them a 30 yard gift."
    To make a play, you need to take some risks. Ayers took a risk, just didn't happen to work out that time. In this NFL, trying to play it safe generally gets you beat anyways. In the end, it worked out pretty well for Denver as their defense was pretty aggressive even with a questionable secondary.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jones sucks as a receiver. He got lucky a couple times I. The postseasonast year.

I'm more afraid of that marlon brown kid once he gets experience

Legend

User Info Menu

Dp

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post

To make a play, you need to take some risks. Ayers took a risk, just didn't happen to work out that time. In this NFL, trying to play it safe generally gets you beat anyways.
    I disagree. In the NFL, giving up big plays generally gets you beat...