Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hope the Steeler Players and Coaches were watching NFL opening game last night.

Legend

User Info Menu

There is another factor that played into the Ravens loss last night that is kind of joked about, but Peyton's record and Flacco's record speak for themselves. It was a regular season game and Peyton Manning is without peer during the regular season and Joe Flacco is just another good quarterback.

Had it been a post-season game, I believe that the Ravens win and Joe continues his good play in post-season and Peyton adds to his futility in the post-season (save the super bowl year)

Say what you will, the pundits eschew any criticism of Peyton for his post-season failure, because they like him and his regular season numbers will be the best ever. But, to accumulate a sub-500 W-L record in the post season means you get there a lot (great regular season) and lose early (post-season futility). You can only lose 1 game in any post season, but you can win up to 4. So, if you play well one year (Peyton did) you should have a pretty good post-season record (see Joe Flacco) and Peyton doesn't.

I'll take Joe (9-4) over Peyton (9-11, 8 one and dones) in the post-season and that's weird to say, but based on Peyton's 15 or 16 years of results and Joe's 5 years of results, it's the prudent option, IMO. Of course, 10 years from now, Joe might be 9-11 as well, but who knows.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    It tells me somebody better play some defense. The Steelers don't have a great record when Ben throws a ton of passes. At one point he was 51-9 when he threw 30 or less passes and 18-22 when he threw more than 30 pass. So if anybody thinks Ben is going to outscore anybody by throwing a ton they better rethink that. That means TOP and running is very important to the Steelers.
    Ben's style doesn't lend itself to throwing a ton of passes, because, when you're on the run, trying to escape a sack or moving around for any reason and throwing passes the probability of a bad pass being thrown increases.

I agree, I'd rather see Ben get his 30 throws and with his YPA and completion percentage that's more than enough to win games all other things being equal, few turnovers, health and a decent running game.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 09-06-2013 at 03:50 PM.

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    It tells me somebody better play some defense. The Steelers don't have a great record when Ben throws a ton of passes. At one point he was 51-9 when he threw 30 or less passes and 18-22 when he threw more than 30 pass. So if anybody thinks Ben is going to outscore anybody by throwing a ton they better rethink that. That means TOP and running is very important to the Steelers.
    The problem with that logic is the Steelers hardly ever go into a game with a mentality of "we're gonna outscore the other team" regardless of who the QB is. How many of those games did the defense play poorly and the Steelers were forced to play catch up? Anybody who think the Steelers are going to win anything with TOP better rethink it, because that isn't going to cut it in today's NFL. Isaac Redman is not a better option than Ben Roethlisberger.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Get real. Peyton would of only thrown 5 TD's against us. He wouldn't of had time for 7 as we would of burned off more clock than the Ravens did.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just think of it. Ben having Welker, Thomas, Julius Thomas...

Imagine.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Just think of it. Ben having Welker, Thomas, Julius Thomas...

Imagine.

I think Ben has one of the Top 5 receiving groups in the NFL when Heath is healthy. Not a bad option. I really think by the end of the year Wheaton is going to be tearing it up and when you have Cotchery as your #4 that is a pretty deep group.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    I can't speak for Sword, and if he wants to reply to this post to correct me then so be it. I think what he might be implying is that scoring points is more important than ball control or TOP.
    Not implying that, just that we are no going to when games by getting down to the red zone and trying to run most of the time on first, second and then foced to pass on third down....then settling for field goals while the other teams
    just march down and score touchdowns.

we need to execute better on plays and mix them up..not be so predictable..

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Wow!.... score more points. I'll bet the coaches never thought of that before.....

this is a silly post....
    The idea is to not have the mentality to milk the clock with a low score only to see the other team just come back and score touchdowns ... where were you the last couple of seasons.
    Our defense couldn't stop bad teams..so please don't tell me it's a silly post....

Legend

User Info Menu

There is another factor that played into the Ravens loss last night that is kind of joked about, but Peyton's record and Flacco's record speak for themselves. It was a regular season game and Peyton Manning is without peer during the regular season and Joe Flacco is just another good quarterback.
    I would take it a step further- Flacco is a VERY AVERAGE regular season QB.

Had it been a post-season game, I believe that the Ravens win and Joe continues his good play in post-season and Peyton adds to his futility in the post-season (save the super bowl year)
    I would take it a step further- Manning was not impressive his SB year save for his comeback on the Pats. His passing during the SB run was even worse than his typical playoff choke. He won running the ball and great defense like WE USED TO DO.

I'll take Joe (9-4) over Peyton (9-11, 8 one and dones) in the post-season and that's weird to say, but based on Peyton's 15 or 16 years of results and Joe's 5 years of results, it's the prudent option, IMO. Of course, 10 years from now, Joe might be 9-11 as well, but who knows.

Pappy
    Peyton is BY FAR the biggest chocker in football PERIOD. This is because HE IS SUCH A GREAT regular season QB his chokes are greater.

We for example have had NOD and Kordell choke in a playoff game as have MANY QBs, but they are not ALL TIME GREATS. Kordell can have an off day on any week. Peyton requires post season pressure to choke. Heck he was a choker AT TENNESSEE while in college.

If Manning of the regular season showed up in the playoffs every year he would laugh at Bradshaws mere FOUR rings as a joke. He would have surpassed Terry long ago.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-06-2013 at 03:55 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think Ben has one of the Top 5 receiving groups in the NFL when Heath is healthy. Not a bad option. I really think by the end of the year Wheaton is going to be tearing it up and when you have Cotchery as your #4 that is a pretty deep group.
    Not to mention, Jones and Howling out of the backfield who are very dynamic open field runners. If we really opened it up and spread teams out with AB, Sanders, Wheaton, Jones, and Howling that would be near impossible to defend. Everyone of those guys is a threat to take any catch to the house from anywhere on the field. Teams would have to play a deep zone and give up passes all day and hope to tackle.