Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: This guy calls out the great LeBeau

Legend

User Info Menu

I just read the article after looking through the thread over the past few days. This article has no credibility because it has zero balance to it. Of course there are some valid points made about the play of the D, but when you don't give any credit for the successes of the D then it lacks the true view of the D.

On top of that, the writer constantly refers to every player and team by his favorite nickname for them - Tony Homo, the Doncos etc. If you want any article written to be taken even remotely seriously then you have to can the third grade talk.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Really? In 2008 we won because of Ben's heroics? Granted that Ben played great that year because he played behind the worst offensive line to ever win a SB. But to say we won that year just because of Ben is ludicrous. That defense was being mentioned as one of the greatest of all time. Harrison and Woodley were spectacular rushing the QB and forced many turnovers.

Captain Lemming ...

Your arguments and supporting facts are spot on.
    Ur right, that line was horrendous. And the D played well and success is contagious on for both sides of the ball. It's a team game and chemistry is key.

But Ben's heroics DID get us to the SB in 2005 and 2010, and his heroics won the game in 2008.

And I am in no way criticizing those defenses in those years. But in 2008 the D could not hold the lead later in games (it was an emerging trend IMO) in the SB and thankfully Ben had the game winning drive. But you can't stop everyone, everytime, I get that. And Harrison had the play of the game. The D was lights out.

And keep in mind, I am NOT a Lebeau basher, I just think something needs to change, and I hope some personnel changes/scheme make a difference this year and the D side. I just know the offense and defense have not been getting that chemistry and playing on all cylinders consistently.

The offense needs to score TDs (esp in the red zone). The defense needs to help in giving them shorter fields with turnovers, instead of starting most drives inside the 10.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I missed the "2008" comment. More details:

Record: 12-4-0, AFC North Division
    2008 Super Bowl Champions
    Scored 347 points (21.7/g), 20th of 32 in the NFL.
    Allowed 223 points (13.9/g), 1st. (notice this is POINTS not "yards")

51 sacks
    29 turnovers created
    Defensive player of the year- Harrison
    1 major Superbowl record broken- Longest interception return for a touchdown

Yes, DLs ever predictable defense was SAVED from futility by Ben and the offense.
    No one can dispute that. Except for some of the Holiday Inn express folks that another poster metioned. I can't afford Holiday Inn

I am concerned about the defense and LeBeau's scheme in using his players THIS YEAR. Not bashing at all - 2008 is a tough standard to keep up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Cortez was anything but soft in the preseason games he played. In fact, take a second to read some of the post game stories and recaps of the KC game when he came back after surgery. He was crushing WR's all over the field, including Dwayne Bowe, a huge wideout.
    Whoops. I missed that game. Can I get a mulligan? But hey let's watch the game on Sunday and find out.

And I did get the impression that he wasn't playing 100% vs Carolina cuz it was PRESEASON. So he get's a do over.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Whoops. I missed that game. Can I get a mulligan? But hey let's watch the game on Sunday and find out.

And I did get the impression that he wasn't playing 100% vs Carolina cuz it was PRESEASON. So he get's a do over.
    Haha no worries! He's a big dude and was beast in the KC game. If he plays like that during the regular season, we'll have two of the most physical corners in the league.

Legend

User Info Menu

Might as well rag on special teams while we're at it. Enough with giving up field position and trying 50+ yard field goals that pretty much guarantee our D is starting in a tough position.