Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This guy calls out the great LeBeau

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Keenan Lewis, the CB that this board mourns the loss of, had 23 passes defended and 1 INT...he was in position to make game-changing plays but did not do so...
    In this sentence you could replace "Keenan Lewis" with "Ike Taylor". He's had a long career of dropping INTs but now he's an old, and overpaid CB that still can't catch a cold.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    He credits the defense with giving up the TD in the Tennessee game last year when they blocked the punt and recovered it on the 1 yard line..

So much for credibility...

Also, Timmons actually picked off a pass in that game...and the offense moved the ball 14 whole yards...
    It's funny that the author focuses on the TN game. If Keenan Lewis catches the ball that hits him between the numbers, the Steelers win that game.

Backup

User Info Menu

I read the site fairly regularly. The guy who wrote the article does, in fact, obsess on certain players/ coaches/ points excessively, but is both passionate and knowledgeable. He has capably broken down and accurately predicted numerous Steeler playoff games over the years, both wins and losses. In terms of those predictions, he's rarely ever been wrong, and has earned himself more respect from me than nearly any of the ESPN type sock puppets who can be as wrong as the day is long and still collect hundreds of thousands of dollars and do it all again next week.

On the other hand, I take it with a grain of salt... passionate expectation of Super Bowl titles every year is bound to be met with disappointment. The other guy is on scholarship, too, so to speak - there are talented people in place doing their jobs all over the NFL, and even in the best circumstances, you've got to have a great deal of luck on your side to go with your talent in order to win. To get angry about this sort of thing and vent your fury in your writing reduces your credibility... but to dismiss the guy out of hand because of it is also a mistake.

Starter

User Info Menu

I love the Steelers but a lot of Steelers fans just flat out beitch and moan too much.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notleadpoisoned View Post
    I love the Steelers but a lot of Steelers fans just flat out beitch and moan too much.
    Agreed. Heck, I knew some that were complaining after each of the recent SB wins because of how the game went down. The team had just won the freakin' SUPER BOWL, but yet they complained.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Instead of trashing the entire article because everyone's favorite "grandpa" is criticized, take note of the following truths in the article:

On a team where the vast majority of salary cap dollars, and talent, is applied to the DEFENSE, why do people thing that the offense should be top-tier? (but it is our Offensive Coordinators are routinely virtually lynched)

Supposedly the "mastermind " who has "diabolical schemes" and "clever disguises", LeBeau fools NO ONE; he tricks NO ONE; he confuses NO ONE; and he does NOTHING out of the ordinary, given the VAST TALENT at his disposal and the vast majority of the team's salary cap dollars. (Like I have said, we confuse ourseleves more than the other team and it keeps our young talent on the sidelines more than it needs to be. Even Carson Palmer said last year he knew what was coming)

As a team, the Steelers ranked 27th in the NFL in percentage of passes intercepted. For those who cannot interpret this, allow me to -- it sucks. Ass. Big time. Their 20 takeaways ranked 24th in the league, and their 37 sacks were middle of the pack. (The supposed master of confusion and mayhem can't create game changing plays)

With the knee jerk response to defending "Coach Dad" to always be expected, see that our defense being special is a myth and has been for the past few years. But why pay attention when we can blame the OC and the offense?
    I agree with Most of the article.
    Last edited by Steelhere10; 09-04-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Instead of trashing the entire article because everyone's favorite "grandpa" is criticized, take note of the following truths in the article:

On a team where the vast majority of salary cap dollars, and talent, is applied to the DEFENSE, why do people thing that the offense should be top-tier? (but it is our Offensive Coordinators are routinely virtually lynched)

Supposedly the "mastermind " who has "diabolical schemes" and "clever disguises", LeBeau fools NO ONE; he tricks NO ONE; he confuses NO ONE; and he does NOTHING out of the ordinary, given the VAST TALENT at his disposal and the vast majority of the team's salary cap dollars. (Like I have said, we confuse ourseleves more than the other team and it keeps our young talent on the sidelines more than it needs to be. Even Carson Palmer said last year he knew what was coming)

As a team, the Steelers ranked 27th in the NFL in percentage of passes intercepted. For those who cannot interpret this, allow me to -- it sucks. Ass. Big time. Their 20 takeaways ranked 24th in the league, and their 37 sacks were middle of the pack. (The supposed master of confusion and mayhem can't create game changing plays)

With the knee jerk response to defending "Coach Dad" to always be expected, see that our defense being special is a myth and has been for the past few years. But why pay attention when we can blame the OC and the offense?
    I dunno Ovi. I kinda think the fact that we give up so few yards even though we can't create pressure and can't force turnovers says the system is pretty darn good. I think it ultimately comes down to the talent of the players.

We've been carried by a handful of super star players in Troy, James, Casey, and Aaron for years. I don' think it's a coincidence that these guys disappear and our results are what they are.

It remains to be seen if any new stars emerge on this D. As of right now, we've got Troy. Who on the roster is ready to step up to help him be a consistent dominant force? Timmons and Woodley have shown flashes, but they've never been consistent. JJ might be the logical candidate. Allen seems to have something special about him. And if Shark can ever get on the field, I think he's got "it".

Everyone else is just a cog. There's solid performers. But we need super stars to emerge to carry the unit.

We've won our recent SuperBowls on the backs of Ben, Troy, James, and Casey. Now we only have Ben and Troy. Probably the 2 most important pieces. But they can use a little support.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I dunno Ovi. I kinda think the fact that we give up so few yards even though we can't create pressure and can't force turnovers says the system is pretty darn good. I think it ultimately comes down to the talent of the players.

We've been carried by a handful of super star players in Troy, James, Casey, and Aaron for years. I don' think it's a coincidence that these guys disappear and our results are what they are.

It remains to be seen if any new stars emerge on this D. As of right now, we've got Troy. Who on the roster is ready to step up to help him be a consistent dominant force? Timmons and Woodley have shown flashes, but they've never been consistent. JJ might be the logical candidate. Allen seems to have something special about him. And if Shark can ever get on the field, I think he's got "it".

Everyone else is just a cog. There's solid performers. But we need super stars to emerge to carry the unit.

We've won our recent SuperBowls on the backs of Ben, Troy, James, and Casey. Now we only have Ben and Troy. Probably the 2 most important pieces. But they can use a little support.
    But Flip, do you really think these other defenses who are sacking and intercepting and creating other turnovers are really filled with "superstars?" And if we aren't filled with superstars on defense why is so much of the salary cap committed to that side of the ball?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Ovi, fess up, you actually wrote the article, correct?
    Not me, but the author clearly reads this site and has plagarized most of my key arguments about our overrated defense. Think I have a case against the author
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

But Flip, do you really think these other defenses who are sacking and intercepting and creating other turnovers are really filled with "superstars?" And if we aren't filled with superstars on defense why is so much of the salary cap committed to that side of the ball?
    No, but they have some star players. Last year, we did what we did with 0 stars. A Ngata, Suh, Aldon Smith, JPP, Troy, etc make all the difference in the world when it comes to the big splash plays. The stars make everyone better because they take focus off the other guys.

The Steelers last year were a defense of mediocre talent that overachieved. 1 or 2 studs can make all the difference in the world when it comes to sacks and turnovers. At the end of the season, I think the results showed the system works. But if you don't have the talent on the field to make the game changing plays, it makes the system all for naught.

Look at it this way, when we had Casey and Aaron up front, the took on 3 guys every play. Sometime 4. That changes the dynamic for everyone. Now our front 3 gets blocked by 3 guys. Thats not freeing anyone up to make splash plays. Throw in a missing Troy and Timmons is in coverage and our entire front 7 is pedestrian without a healthy James and Woodley. Then you have QBs that don't have to worry about Ike, Lewis, Clark, Allen/Mundy intercepting anything and this defense should be easy to pick apart.

Fast forward to now with a healthy Troy. That means Timmons can attack in the box. And teams have to account for him because he's a legit threat to kill a QB any time he gets a clean shot. A healthy Woodley creates problems. And so does Jarvis if he becomes what I think he can. And QBs have to be a little more careful with Allen and Troy in the secondary cause those 2 can play the ball in the air. It's all a domino effect that comes from Troy being on the field. And the pressure and turnovers will come.

Just look at how guys played in December of last season once Troy was back and James was healthy and Allen started playing. It changed everything. Even guys like Hood starting making plays. At the end of the day, we need players that are difference makers and last year we didn't have them.