Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Incorrect OV.
    December games:

3 sacks 2 to
    1 sack 0 to
    1 sack 1 to
    6 sacks 3 to
    4 sacks 4 to

SanDiego has a season high of points against us. You wanna blame the defense that right??
    Our offense literally GIVES SD a touchdown fumbling on the IN OUR END ZONE.
    Another TD from a drive created by an INT on our 17.
    14 points due to mistakes by the O. But defense is the problem right?
    You wanna blame the defense for not creating turnovers??

I'll give you turnovers!!!!
    Two weeks later our defense has SIX sacks and THREE turnovers while giving up 267 total yards and THIRTEEN POINTS and we STILL lose to Cincy.

Cincy NEVER SCORED AN OFFENSIVE TOUCHDOWN. And won
    Only touchdown was a pick 6.....taken from our offense.
    Two field goals off of Steeler turnovers
    EVERY SINGLE BENGAL POINT came thanks to our offenses turning over the ball.

Hey what happens when we turn them over?
    We intercept them TWICE force a fumble once and WE GET ZERO points from THREE turnovers.....ridiculous.

Yeah blame the defense for December
    Atta boy! Preach on brother!

The Steelers defense needs to be better at stopping the opponent on a short field?

Against Cleveland, the offense turned the ball over an incredible 8 times, but the defense allowed only 20 total points...after 8 turnovers, only 20 points...

The Steelers scored 14....which includes a pick 6 by the defense...

I think it's safe to say that there was plenty of blame to go around on all three phases at times last year...but the defense doesn't deserve all the blame for 8-8...

message board guy knows more than hall of fame coach

Riiiigggghhhhtttttt

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    we have seen a decreasing total of sacks because other teams know exactly what we are going to do...rush one of the two OLBs. They set up their initial protections to deal with it and then release the person form the off side Nowhere near enough blitzes by Timmons. Nowhere near enough pressure from the "occupy the blocker" defensive linemen.
    Versus Cincy:

• Timmons 2 sacks
    • Keisel 1 solo sack
    • Keisel and McClendon "share" poor Andy Dalton on a sack
    • Troy 1 sack
    • And Yes ONE OLBer (Harrison) sack

Yet we lost the game.

And here is a fun trivia answer related to your post:
    Who is the first inside linebacker to lead the Steelers in sacks since they began recording them in 1972?
    Answer: Lawrence Timmons 2012
    Of course he had EVEN MORE sacks in 2009 (just that our OLBers were producing more back then)

How can that be when DL doe not let Timmons rush the QB.
    Oh you want him to rush the QB EVEN MORE?

Timmons does play lots of coverage too, which is how he got THREE PICKS. Or do we not want those turnovers, yet complain that we dont turn it over enough? Timmons has better hands than last years ENTIRE starting secondary save for Troy, what are we gonna do, put whining and stiff Woodley in coverage EVEN MORE?

Wait in other threads we dont like Woodley to EVER be in coverage because sacks are his thing right? SOMEBODY has to join the secondary in coverage too.

Fact is, DL "mixes it up" way more than we think.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-04-2013 at 10:09 PM.

I am not saying the receivers play off the receiver on EVERY play and that Ike can't cover. He certainly can cover (or sometimes get torched by Demaryius Thomas against the Broncos).

Check it out on Sunday. They will do this over 50% of the time.

Fortunately, I did see our DBs up in bump and run man coverage during the preseason at times.

And I don't believe they don't get picks JUST because they can't catch. That's BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The Steelers defense needs to be better at stopping the opponent on a short field?

Against Cleveland, the offense turned the ball over an incredible 8 times, but the defense allowed only 20 total points...after 8 turnovers, only 20 points...

The Steelers scored 14....which includes a pick 6 by the defense...

I think it's safe to say that there was plenty of blame to go around on all three phases at times last year...but the defense doesn't deserve all the blame for 8-8...
    Short field? During the December of Defensive Disgrace 2012 OFFENSIVE TURNOVERS LED DIRECTLY TO TWO TOUCHDOWNS, in two games that were lost by LESS than a touchdown each. We turned the ball over in overtime IN FIELD GOAL RANGE allowing the Cowboys to kick a winning field goal.

Good posts here in support of Lebeau and the Defense. There were many factors in last year's disappointing season.

Producing more turnovers, more pressure and sacks, and less use of the 15 yard cushion would be great to see. My biggest concern is the O-line (not the D), and I think they will improve as the year goes along (barring injuries like the devastating injuries last year). I think this year will be a strong year for the Steelers.
    PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    I am not saying the receivers play off the receiver on EVERY play and that Ike can't cover. He certainly can cover (or sometimes get torched by Demaryius Thomas against the Broncos).

Check it out on Sunday. They will do this over 50% of the time.

Fortunately, I did see our DBs up in bump and run man coverage during the preseason at times.

And I don't believe they don't get picks JUST because they can't catch. That's BS.
    And was Ike "torched" because of a cushion?
    Like I said earlier, you NEVER see Ike getting worked short "allowing the catch to make the tackle".
    He occasionally gets beat deep BECAUSE HE HAS NO CUSHION for creeping up TOO MUCH.

I ask you again, why does no receiver get a ton of cheap short passes on Ike?

Ike started and played the entire game against KC and was targeted ONCE; pass defended and made ZERO tackles on receivers.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...1211120pit.htm (you can check the numbers of any game at that site)

Against the Giants Ike was not as effective but Keenan Lewis was targeted 4 times and did not give up a single reception. It went like this:

1. Eli Manning pass incomplete deep middle intended for Hakeem Nicks (defended by Keenan Lewis)
    2. Eli Manning pass incomplete short middle intended for Hakeem Nicks (defended by Keenan Lewis)
    3. Eli Manning pass incomplete short left intended for Victor Cruz (defended by Keenan Lewis)
    4. Eli Manning pass incomplete deep middle intended for Hakeem Nicks (defended by Keenan Lewis)

Keenan's guys never caught the ball.

Lewis also did not allow a reception in the Redskin game, Ike gave up only 2 catches for 13 yards.
    Ike and Lewis gave up ONE reception each against the Bengals game one.

I think part of the problem in perception is that people worry about how deep the corner lines up. That varies true.

But the bottom line is that our corners do NOT as a strategy "give up short passes to make the tackle".

I would venture to say we do LESS of that than the vast majority of teams.

If we "give up short passes to make the tackle" WHY ARE THERE SO FEW reception tackles by OUR STARTING CORNERS?

The numbers are irrefutable and do not support this "myth".

Seriously if you look at the numbers our starting corners make more tackles on RUNNERS than on receptions.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    My biggest concern is the O-line (not the D),
    That is the truth.
    Success or failure depends on the state of the oline period.
    If this team has even an AVERAGE oline we are in the hunt.
    If it continues to struggle it might be another disappointing season.

The defense is far less of a concern, and DL's strategies are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Tell me please, does Rod Woodson defend 23 passes and end up with ZERO picks?
    When you answer honestly consider why YOU KNOW FULL WELL he makes a ton of picks given THAT many opportunities.

Why does our strong safety position lead the team in picks when Troy is healthy and guys like Ryan Mundy not able to pick up the slack when Troy is hurt?
    Why can a ballhawk make interceptions NO MATTER WHAT TEAM HE IS ON if the "the scheme" is the reason for interceptions?

Finally, why does Cortez Allen have more ints IN ONE GAME than Lewis has had in his CAREER. The scheme is the same.

Interceptions are the product of players making plays, not the scheme. Last year's corners had bad hands period.

Heck Ike himself has said it many times:

Recent interview Ike Taylor:

"I asked LeBeau, 'coach, what's wrong with my hands. He said, 'there ain't nothing wrong with your hands. You gotta just trust your abilities.
    "'Just relax and catch the ball.'"

So that is from the mouth of Ike Taylor. HE KNOWS he has trouble catching the ball. If it were lack of opportunities, due to scheme he would NOT consider it a problem.

Come on brother YOU KNOW THIS it is common knowledge Ike has trouble catching the ball.

You wanna blame scheme?

Do you know the last time our corners combined for 10 interceptions?
    2000 when Washington and Chad Scott had 5 each. AND BACK THEN THEY DID routinely play with a big cushion because they were weak in coverage.
    As bad as they were they had better hands than Ike or Lewis.
    Two BAD corners, playing soft, had no problem creating picks EVEN THOUGH WE AGREE they played with a huge cushion.

There goes the "theory" that scheme has to do with our interception woes today. Guys who cannot catch is the problem, it aint complicated.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-05-2013 at 01:00 AM.