Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This guy calls out the great LeBeau

Legend
    Just look at how guys played in December of last season once Troy was back and James was healthy and Allen started playing. It changed everything. Even guys like Hood starting making plays. At the end of the day, we need players that are difference makers and last year we didn't have them.
    Flip--we lost 3 of 5 in December last year (yes there were 5 weekends). Defense played better "statsitically" but still couldn't create turnovers and game changing plays. That has been the problem for 3 years now. It all starts with sacking the QB and for three years we have seen a decreasing total of sacks because other teams know exactly what we are going to do...rush one of the two OLBs. They set up their initial protections to deal with it and then release the person form the off side Nowhere near enough blitzes by Timmons. Nowhere near enough pressure from the "occupy the blocker" defensive linemen.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Flip--we lost 3 of 5 in December last year (yes there were 5 weekends). Defense played better "statsitically" but still couldn't create turnovers and game changing plays. That has been the problem for 3 years now. It all starts with sacking the QB and for three years we have seen a decreasing total of sacks because other teams know exactly what we are going to do...rush one of the two OLBs. They set up their initial protections to deal with it and then release the person form the off side Nowhere near enough blitzes by Timmons. Nowhere near enough pressure from the "occupy the blocker" defensive linemen.
    Not saying it's not a problem. I've been concerned about pressure back when we were still getting decent sack numbers. But I think it's a player issue. And I think we were going in the right direction when some players got healthy.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Not saying it's not a problem. I've been concerned about pressure back when we were still getting decent sack numbers. But I think it's a player issue. And I think we were going in the right direction when some players got healthy.
    and in 4 of those 5 games we had a total of 10 turnovers. Maybe that accounts for some of the losses? Can't turn the ball over 3 times against the Ravens (who we beat even though our offense couldn't stop turning the ball over) and even a bad bengals team will beat you if you turn it over 3 times.. like we did. We lost the turnover battle like crazy in the month of december and still almost won those games.

edit - i meant to quote ovi
    https://cex.io/r/0/birtikidis/0/
    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    and in 4 of those 5 games we had a total of 10 turnovers. Maybe that accounts for some of the losses? Can't turn the ball over 3 times against the Ravens (who we beat even though our offense couldn't stop turning the ball over) and even a bad bengals team will beat you if you turn it over 3 times.. like we did. We lost the turnover battle like crazy in the month of december and still almost won those games.
    Good point.

However, TO's by the offense are bound to happen. Our D has to do a better job getting the ball back and setting us up with a few short fields.

LeBeau doesn't play so he can't make the interceptions.

But when you play WRs 10-15 yards off the receiver, THAT makes it kinda tough to get picks. Keenan had passes defensed because once the ball is thrown he can make up the yards and be in the vicinity and it's called a pass defensed. So what?

It's the scheme. The DBs are not in position to make those plays. One of the best secondary's in the league, Seahawks, get alot of picks and passes defensed. They are NOT playing the LeBeau cushion. Let them make the plays and get burnt ever so often.

No more "keep everything in front of you LEBEAU cushion!"

I think that scheme got started when D Washington and C Scott were the DB's. They couldn't defend 1-1. LeBeau hasn't changed anything since then.

You would never see Rod Woodson, Deon Figures/Willie Williams, Lake, and Perry in this type of scheme back during the original zone blitz scheme in the 1995 SB.

In 2005 it was Townsend and Ike Taylor and they were playing in this sort of scheme. Luckily, the Steelers had a running game then and could wind down the clock at the end of games and not leave it up to the D to blow a lead. When the made the playoffs, Ben heroics saved the day.

In 2008, McFadden and Ike played the same Leabeau cushion and it was up to Ben for heriocs late in games to win it.

If it weren't for Superhuman players on this D like Troy in 2008 and Harrison in 2010, no way this D stops anyone in crunch time during the last 3 SB years.

So, I really can't complain when you don't expect your DBs to make plays in the first place.
    Last edited by skyhawk; 09-04-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post

But when you play WRs 10-15 yards off the receiver, THAT makes it kinda tough to get picks right? Keenan had passes defensed because once the ball is thrown he can make up the yards and be in the vicinity and it's called a pass defensed. So what?

It's the scheme. The DBs are not in position to make those plays. One of the best secondary's in the league, Seahawks, get alot of picks and passes defensed. They are NOT playing the LeBeau cushion. Let them make the plays and get burnt ever so often.
    Yep!! Got to be in the same area code as a receiver to make a play on the ball
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Yep!! Got to be in the same area code as a receiver to make a play on the ball
    Exactly! Re-read my post after edit

Incorrect OV.
    December games:

3 sacks 2 to
    1 sack 0 to
    1 sack 1 to
    6 sacks 3 to
    4 sacks 4 to

SanDiego has a season high of points against us. You wanna blame the defense that right??
    Our offense literally GIVES SD a touchdown fumbling on the IN OUR END ZONE.
    Another TD from a drive created by an INT on our 17.
    14 points due to mistakes by the O. But defense is the problem right?
    You wanna blame the defense for not creating turnovers??

I'll give you turnovers!!!!
    Two weeks later our defense has SIX sacks and THREE turnovers while giving up 267 total yards and THIRTEEN POINTS and we STILL lose to Cincy.

Cincy NEVER SCORED AN OFFENSIVE TOUCHDOWN. And won
    Only touchdown was a pick 6.....taken from our offense.
    Two field goals off of Steeler turnovers
    EVERY SINGLE BENGAL POINT came thanks to our offenses turning over the ball.

Hey what happens when we turn them over?
    We intercept them TWICE force a fumble once and WE GET ZERO points from THREE turnovers.....ridiculous.

Yeah blame the defense for December

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Good point.

However, TO's by the offense are bound to happen. Our D has to do a better job getting the ball back and setting us up with a few short fields.
    So we as fans should expect an average of two turnovers by our offense PER game? We should blame the defense for not being able to stop 15 yard drives?
    https://cex.io/r/0/birtikidis/0/
    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

But when you play WRs 10-15 yards off the receiver, THAT makes it kinda tough to get picks. Keenan had passes defensed because once the ball is thrown he can make up the yards and be in the vicinity and it's called a pass defensed. So what?

No more "keep everything in front of you LEBEAU cushion!"
    Not true my friend. Lewis aint that Deon fast to lead the conference in passes defensed if he is playing off the ball. Ike routinely holds elite receivers well below their average NOT JUST YARDS BUT NUMBER OF CATCHES. You cannot do that if you are "allowing the catch" to make the tackle. He plays VERY TIGHT defense all the time.

They simply CANNOT CATCH. Proof?

Cortez Allen has more interceptions in THREE STARTS than Lewis and Ike COMBINED had over the coarse of the entire season.
    Cortez had more picks in ONE GAME than Lewis has had IN HIS CAREER.
    How in the heck does Cortez look like a turnover machine if "the system" is at fault?

Lewis breaks up 23 passes an NOT ONE PICK? Really?
    I know not all pass breakups are catch-able but TWENTY THREE?
    You think Woodson, Deon, heck Troy would have that many breakups and ZERO picks?

23 breakups tell me he has more opportunities than most to make a play on the ball yet NOTHING.

The scheme is not the problem, the player is.

I think that scheme got started when D Washington and C Scott were the DB's. They couldn't defend 1-1.
    True and people "imagine" they still see that today. It just aint true.

Especially Ike. Think for a moment. When have you EVER seen Ike give up a series of short throws to work an offense down the field? Heck when Ike struggles IT IS ALWAYS that he is too tight or peeking at the run has NO CUSHION and get beat OVER THE TOP.

Here is an example of Ikes coverage. 2011 Texans Andre Johnson has four catches for 36 yards. Ike has ONE TACKLE on a receiver the whole game a 10 yard catch by Johnson. Ike blankets Johnson so tightly that ONE PASS is even attempted to Johnson a single 10 yard completion. The other 3 catches were on safeties. A total of two passes are thrown Ikes way the entire game he allowed a single 10 yard catch.

That DOES NOT HAPPEN if you play loose on a guy like Johnson,
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-04-2013 at 09:16 PM.