Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spaeth to IR, Garvin Added to Roster

Rookie

User Info Menu

The Whimper over Starks debate is really a non-issue. Starks was let go because he was not mobile enough and he has a history of back problems. Whimper is in the same class of player but a little more mobile, can play some guard in a pinch and is probably a little cheaper ( I don't know for sure). According to this article, neither one is/was intended to see the field let alone put on a uniform so unless there are a couple major injuries that Beachum and Wallace can't cover...no harm-no big deal.
    [url]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/09/the-story-of-guy-whimper/[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelchip View Post
    The Whimper over Starks debate is really a non-issue. Starks was let go because he was not mobile enough and he has a history of back problems. Whimper is in the same class of player but a little more mobile, can play some guard in a pinch and is probably a little cheaper ( I don't know for sure). According to this article, neither one is/was intended to see the field let alone put on a uniform so unless there are a couple major injuries that Beachum and Wallace can't cover...no harm-no big deal.
    [URL]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/09/the-story-of-guy-whimper/[/URL]
    Beachum wasn't intended to see the field last year, either.

You hope that you don't have to play backup offensive lineman, but Adams and Gilbert both have injury issues, as does Pouncey. With the Steelers, there is, unfortunately, a good chance that the 4th OT will see significant time. If that is the case, I'd take Starks over Whimper any day of the week.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Beachum wasn't intended to see the field last year, either.

You hope that you don't have to play backup offensive lineman, but Adams and Gilbert both have injury issues, as does Pouncey. With the Steelers, there is, unfortunately, a good chance that the 4th OT will see significant time. If that is the case, I'd take Starks over Whimper any day of the week.
    I find this conversation interesting because its common knowledge that Whimper had a very low rating last year and his name does nothing to inspire confidence, yet the Steelers have made this curious decision to keep him over Starks. Considering we are moving to a more mobile OL, perhaps Starks size is working against him here. Perhaps we are due to see more no huddle this season. It only makes sense, especially in light of how Manning no huddled the vaunted Ravens pass rush to the tune of 7 TDs.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Curious to see if the o-line's injury woes lessen with the new coach and this offseason's directive to do more to prevent injuries. Like, I don't know, actually warming up before practice, etc. Don't know if you guys remember the article that came out this summer where the players (Redman comes to mind specifically) said they hardly ever warmed up. Hopefully some changes around the team will help lessen the injury bug for the o-line (and others).