Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spaeth to IR, Garvin Added to Roster

Hybrid View

Spaeth to IR, Garvin Added to Roster

I still don't like using the IR/designated-to-return on Spaeth, a backup TE who is not even close to being a difference maker. Oh well.

Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette1m#Steelers put TE Matt Spaeth on IR/designated-to-return and sign LB Terence Gavin of WVU to roster. WR Kashif Moore on practice squad

I'm with you Philly. Now if a guy like Timmons goes down with an 8 week injury you have to go 1 person short or put him on the IR and lose him for the year. Who cares whether Spaeth can come back? It's not like he knows the offense since he wasn't here last year when Haley came. I really don't understand it.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I'm with you Philly. Now if a guy like Timmons goes down with an 8 week injury you have to go 1 person short or put him on the IR and lose him for the year. Who cares whether Spaeth can come back? It's not like he knows the offense since he wasn't here last year when Haley came. I really don't understand it.
    I don't understand much about the decisions over the past few months.

Ta'amu gets into his mess, the Steelers help him, keep him on the team and he plays good in the pre-season, then they cut him
    Dwyer comes into camp overweight the previous 2 years, he gets to camp in good shape, runs the ball well in pre-season, then they cut him
    Guy Whimper is rated the worst tackle in the league last year, the Steelers sign him and then treat him like he's irreplaceble
    Butler and Moorman battle for punting duties all camp, Butler wins, Mesko gets brought in after cuts, he's not tremendously better than Butler, Butler is released
    Jarvis Jones is arounnd the ball all pre-season and making splash plays, you can barely tell worilds is on the field and he gets the start
    Jones comes in without knowing the offense and blitz package pickups, runs hard, picks a few blitzes and looks good catching the ball, I can barely recall Redmon being on the field in the pre-season and he gets the start
    Shamarko Thomas is lighting up receivers, making plays, Gay is getting burned multiple times for TDs, I'd give Thomas a chance at nickel.
    Hawthorne looked like a great athlete, he's injured I get it, but why not try and stash him on the PS?

Just sketchy to me, it almost seems that the Steelers are meandering with no real direction.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Ta'amu gets into his mess, the Steelers help him, keep him on the team and he plays good in the pre-season, then they cut him
    Dwyer comes into camp overweight the previous 2 years, he gets to camp in good shape, runs the ball well in pre-season, then they cut him
    Guy Whimper is rated the worst tackle in the league last year, the Steelers sign him and then treat him like he's irreplaceble
    Butler and Moorman battle for punting duties all camp, Butler wins, Mesko gets brought in after cuts, he's not tremendously better than Butler, Butler is released
    Jarvis Jones is arounnd the ball all pre-season and making splash plays, you can barely tell worilds is on the field and he gets the start
    Jones comes in without knowing the offense and blitz package pickups, runs hard, picks a few blitzes and looks good catching the ball, I can barely recall Redmon being on the field in the pre-season and he gets the start
    Shamarko Thomas is lighting up receivers, making plays, Gay is getting burned multiple times for TDs, I'd give Thomas a chance at nickel.
    Hawthorne looked like a great athlete, he's injured I get it, but why not try and stash him on the PS?

Just sketchy to me, it almost seems that the Steelers are meandering with no real direction.

Pappy
    One of the best posts I have read in a long time. Pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Pappy
    Well said.... agree on all points. It's like we are trying to be an inferior team. I don't get it. Most teams want to build solid depth around their starters and get the best players on the field.... we are all over the map. Are we trying to become the Cleveland Browns?

We kept Whimper instead of signing Starks -> Just when I thought the bad personnel moves were over, we make one of the worst personnel decisions in recent memory. In additional, the Hawthorne situation is dumbfounding.

If you want to start Mike Adams and Gilbert at LT and RT then fine. Roll the dice and see what happens. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't sign Starks and release Whimper as an insurance policy.

We would be covered if Adams or Gilbert get hurt. We would be covered if Gilbert and/or Adams struggle. If Gilbert struggles, it would be best to move Adams to RT and Starks to LT. If Adams struggles, you simply plug Starks in at LT. What is the harm in that? Personally, I think Starks could outplay both of our starters right now but I'm willing to give the young guys a chance.

What I don't understand is the backup situation with Whimper. Who would you rather have as your insurance if Adams or Gilbert struggle or get hurt. Whimper or Starks? It's a no brainer and only a sane person would select Starks. On the other hand, someone in this organization is clearly insane.

Let's see, Starks is....

- Multiple year average starter on SB teams. Considering Ben's playing style, Starks did not play poorly.
    - Still only 31 y/o
    - Has played LT and RT and actually played more consistent at LT.
    - A good leader and role model (unlike Pouncey)
    - Ben's close friend.
    - Ben trusts Starks protecting his blind side as he's been Ben's LT for almost his entire career. On a side note, I've never seen Ben so uncomfortable in the pocket than what he's been this preseason.
    - He was our best o-lineman in 2012

So... with all this being said, The Steelers decided that the logical decision was to sign the league's worst LT in 2012 rather than signing our best overall 2012 o-lineman. Seem's perfectly logical to me,

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Well said.... agree on all points. It's like we are trying to be an inferior team. I don't get it. Most teams want to build solid depth around their starters and get the best players on the field.... we are all over the map. Are we trying to become the Cleveland Browns?

We kept Whimper instead of signing Starks -> Just when I thought the bad personnel moves were over, we make one of the worst personnel decisions in recent memory. In additional, the Hawthorne situation is dumbfounding.

If you want to start Mike Adams and Gilbert at LT and RT then fine. Roll the dice and see what happens. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't sign Starks and release Whimper as an insurance policy.

We would be covered if Adams or Gilbert get hurt. We would be covered if Gilbert and/or Adams struggle. If Gilbert struggles, it would be best to move Adams to RT and Starks to LT. If Adams struggles, you simply plug Starks in at LT. What is the harm in that? Personally, I think Starks could outplay both of our starters right now but I'm willing to give the young guys a chance.

What I don't understand is the backup situation with Whimper. Who would you rather have as your insurance if Adams or Gilbert struggle or get hurt. Whimper or Starks? It's a no brainer and only a sane person would select Starks. On the other hand, someone in this organization is clearly insane.

Let's see, Starks is....

- Multiple year average starter on SB teams. Considering Ben's playing style, Starks did not play poorly.
    - Still only 31 y/o
    - Has played LT and RT and actually played more consistent at LT.
    - A good leader and role model (unlike Pouncey)
    - Ben's close friend.
    - Ben trusts Starks protecting his blind side as he's been Ben's LT for almost his entire career. On a side note, I've never seen Ben so uncomfortable in the pocket than what he's been this preseason.
    - He was our best o-lineman in 2012

So... with all this being said, The Steelers decided that the logical decision was to sign the league's worst LT in 2012 rather than signing our best overall 2012 o-lineman. Seem's perfectly logical to me,
    Great posts by you and Pappy.

The Steelers handling of Starks over the years has been absolutely baffling.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Great posts by you and Pappy.

The Steelers handling of Starks over the years has been absolutely baffling.
    agreed on all accounts... I'm glad some of the folks on here who comment actually know the game of football...lol

Legend

Pappy
    Excellent post. Logic just seems to have gone out the window.

I'm sure that means we get to the Super Bowl this year because when stupid stuff hapenes we seem to do pretty good.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer

Pappy
    Ill give uou The max/whimper thing.

Everything else is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
    Dwyer was here long enough. The staff knows what he brings. With red and bell (2 big backs) on the roster. I like the change they want to go with in jones

butler faded badly late in the year. And killed us in one game (can't recall who) when he was unable to get a punt downed inside the 10 on like 3/4 punts. That killed our field position letting the. Start on the 20 while we punted from their side of the field. If I remember correctly, might have been the cinci game. Mesko is better, no doubt about it

RE: Hawthorne. I've never seen so much angst towards releasing a 5 th round draft pick. Oh wait yes I have. Crezdon butler got a similar reaction. And has bounced from team to team in his short career. I expect to see something similar happen to Hawthorne. Let it Go, eveeverybody

worldis over jones isn't a mystery if you've paid attention to this team and its recent draft picks. Or I should say its recent defensive draft picks. It's puzzling but not surprising at all. It was the reason why I was against drafting a defensive player aside from jones who I thought would play quicker(that's what the FO told is) cause he played in a 3-4 at Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    Ill give uou The max/whimper thing.

Everything else is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
    Dwyer was here long enough. The staff knows what he brings. With red and bell (2 big backs) on the roster. I like the change they want to go with in jones

butler faded badly late in the year. And killed us in one game (can't recall who) when he was unable to get a punt downed inside the 10 on like 3/4 punts. That killed our field position letting the. Start on the 20 while we punted from their side of the field. If I remember correctly, might have been the cinci game. Mesko is better, no doubt about it

RE: Hawthorne. I've never seen so much angst towards releasing a 5 th round draft pick. Oh wait yes I have. Crezdon butler got a similar reaction. And has bounced from team to team in his short career. I expect to see something similar happen to Hawthorne. Let it Go, eveeverybody

worldis over jones isn't a mystery if you've paid attention to this team and its recent draft picks. Or I should say its recent defensive draft picks. It's puzzling but not surprising at all. It was the reason why I was against drafting a defensive player aside from jones who I thought would play quicker(that's what the FO told is) cause he played in a 3-4 at Georgia
    I'm not mad about the Hawthorne cut. I'm mad about the selection because it is obvious the guy was doomed from the beginning.